Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 08:22 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I too lost 30 lbs in rehabs with the knee issue and the loss was due to pain meds and loss of appetite and stomach upset from the drugs. I want to keep that weight off.

My friend lost her gallbladder and part of her stomach and pancreas and has lost TOO MUCH weight and can't keep it on.

A poster mentioned cereal for breakfast, I have NOT touched cereals for years, eliminating a lot of wheats.
The only two cereals I now eat are Ezekiel 4.9 which is sprouted organic wheat, organic malted barley, organic sprouted millet, organic lentils, organic soybeans, organic spelt & sea salt. It has zero sugar. This is not the wheat used in most breads and cereals. I mix it with Cheerios Ancient Grains which contains: whole grain oats, quinoa, corn syrup, crisp rice, canola oil, molasses, salt & vitamin E. Has 5 grams of sugar. I mix them together in the morning with some blueberries, strawberries, blackberries & banana, sometimes all four depending on what is in my house.

If I ate just a bowl of Raisin Bran, Life Cereal or similar my blood sugar would be crashing in two hours. I need to have a high protein, low carb/sugar diet to stay at my best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:47 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
It's math. I don't eat more than 2000 calories a day. I weight myself everyday. If I'm steady, I may cheat and eat extra, but if I inch up on the scale, I trim back to 1800 calories a day to get back down. I have been between 128 and 134lbs for the last 25 years by following this. Math. Just math. And willpower. I eat WHATEVER on earth I want, but I watch my portions to keep my calories in check. I use the MyFitnessPal app to easily count calories, every day.
Second on MyFitnessPal. After being morbidly obese most of my life I got tired of it and decided I was not going to die early of a heart attack or stroke. I lost 110 lbs in about a year and a half with no surgery or special food.

I also think you have to watch more than calories. What I like about MyFitnessPal is that it shows you all the nutritional information that you eat in a day. I had high blood pressure and I was stunned to see how much sodium I was eating. I cut out all the fast food and cut my sodium down significantly. My blood pressure went down to normal within three weeks even before I lost all the weight.

I agree it’s mostly math, but sometimes I wonder if everyone has a food that just puts on the weight. I started eating peanut butter and my weight started creeping back up. I cut out the peanut butter and the weight went back down. I’m not saying peanut butter is bad, but it is for me.

By the way, I still eat donuts and cake, just in moderation. I can’t tell you how much better I feel now. The weight has been off for two years and I’m not going back. Diets don’t work. You have to have a lifestyle change that you can maintain. Just keep track of the food, eat smart and don’t eat all junk. You can eat junk, just in moderation. I’m also on a treadmill every other day. Get some exercise.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Second on MyFitnessPal. After being morbidly obese most of my life I got tired of it and decided I was not going to die early of a heart attack or stroke. I lost 110 lbs in about a year and a half with no surgery or special food.

I also think you have to watch more than calories. What I like about MyFitnessPal is that it shows you all the nutritional information that you eat in a day. I had high blood pressure and I was stunned to see how much sodium I was eating. I cut out all the fast food and cut my sodium down significantly. My blood pressure went down to normal within three weeks even before I lost all the weight.

I agree it’s mostly math, but sometimes I wonder if everyone has a food that just puts on the weight. I started eating peanut butter and my weight started creeping back up. I cut out the peanut butter and the weight went back down. I’m not saying peanut butter is bad, but it is for me.

By the way, I still eat donuts and cake, just in moderation. I can’t tell you how much better I feel now. The weight has been off for two years and I’m not going back. Diets don’t work. You have to have a lifestyle change that you can maintain. Just keep track of the food, eat smart and don’t eat all junk. You can eat junk, just in moderation. I’m also on a treadmill every other day. Get some exercise.
congrats!! that's a huge weight loss! I personally use LoseIt, but all of the fitness apps are great. At the end of the day, it is definitely the math for most people. It's really what you do over time, not one day, days, or even a week. Weight management has to be a complete lifestyle change, mindset stage. Not a one off starvation stint/exercise binge.

I've lost over 70 and eat a variety of healthy and unhealthy foods. I feel much better this way and in control.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:03 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
congrats!! that's a huge weight loss! I personally use LoseIt, but all of the fitness apps are great. At the end of the day, it is definitely the math for most people. It's really what you do over time, not one day, days, or even a week. Weight management has to be a complete lifestyle change, mindset stage. Not a one off starvation stint/exercise binge.

I've lost over 70 and eat a variety of healthy and unhealthy foods. I feel much better this way and in control.
Thanks! 70 is also a huge weight loss. Congrats yourself!

You’re right, most of the apps are great. I think it helps to diary food and keep track of what you eat.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:22 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I eat so-called good food, not junk. But evidently I eat too much good food. And I get hungry even when I know my stomach is not hungry. So what do you do to stop the desire to eat when you know you should have had enough?
You plan ahead how much you are going to eat and that's what you eat. Eat whatever you want, but just eat enough to be satisfied. And tell yourself you can eat again in 4 hours (again, just enough to satisfy). If you know your next meal is only four hours away, you don't feel like you have to eat everything in sight at this meal.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:06 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
You plan ahead how much you are going to eat and that's what you eat. Eat whatever you want, but just eat enough to be satisfied. And tell yourself you can eat again in 4 hours (again, just enough to satisfy). If you know your next meal is only four hours away, you don't feel like you have to eat everything in sight at this meal.
OK, I'm going to work on that. But if the food is very, very good, I tend to eat until I can't eat any more. Which is more than being satisfied. I agree about the timing interval. But my question is: if you are successful at keeping your weight in check, do you get hungry after you've had your quotient and not eat?

Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Thanks! 70 is also a huge weight loss. Congrats yourself!

You’re right, most of the apps are great. I think it helps to diary food and keep track of what you eat.
A new study came out showing that the same program for a group of people does not always lead to weight loss for everybody. And those who eat lots of vegetables do better. I know I have to do something, I'm not losing and probably gaining and I am already overweight and don't feel good about it, plus have mobility problems, etc.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:44 PM

I am going to try myfitnesspal. I found out that I can only eat about 1320 calories a day if I want to lose a pound a week. And by the time I got finished with breakfast & a snack I had only about 784 calories left. That means about 350+ for lunch and 400 for dinner. I know I will get hungry. Plus I generally eat much more than that for lunch and dinner. Shaking my head here -- I don't think I can do it. But I will try to give it a try.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:41 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I am going to try myfitnesspal. I found out that I can only eat about 1320 calories a day if I want to lose a pound a week. And by the time I got finished with breakfast & a snack I had only about 784 calories left. That means about 350+ for lunch and 400 for dinner. I know I will get hungry. Plus I generally eat much more than that for lunch and dinner. Shaking my head here -- I don't think I can do it. But I will try to give it a try.
Water staves off hunger. Keep low calorie snacks at the ready, celery and carrots, pickles, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-22-2018, 08:16 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
I maintain a good weight without counting calories by following a low fat, low added sugar, whole food plant-based diet with very few processed foods.

This recent article from the NY Times states that's what important is to have a highly nutritious diet with a minimum of processed and junk foods, even if the diet is not vegetarian or vegan:

The Key to Weight Loss Is Diet Quality, Not Quantity, a New Study Finds
By ANAHAD O’CONNOR FEB. 20, 2018
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/w...b-low-fat.html

Most study participants lost weight even though they did not count calories. The key is to eat nutrient dense foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss