Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 05:01 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,120 times

Advertisements

OP,

Don't feel like you immediately have to be perfect. This is not easy, so you need to do everything you can to set yourself up for success.

Think of a few things that you can do this week to improve your eating plan. Maybe it's to not bring chips and cookies into the house, or to cut two out of three meals a day in half. Maybe swap a snack for something healthier. Whatever those few things are, commit to doing them for a full week.

Be consistent. Log your progress. Be kind to yourself. Give yourself a small (non-food) reward when you get through your week with success. If you screw up for a day, don't beat yourself up, just get back to your commitment for the next meal.

Then the next week, pick a couple of additional healthy food choices to add to your plan. Keep your commitment, log your progress (or post them here!) and feel good about yourself. Give yourself a small (non-food) reward after this week.

Each week, add more healthy options to your plan. As you go through each, try to move more. If you try the band workout that you mentioned, maybe you start your first week with three 5 minute sessions a day. The next week, try to add a couple of minutes to each session.

Are you not mobile at all, or can you walk some? If you can walk, set a small goal of just walking down your driveway and back, or up and down the hallway of your apartment building a few times. Whatever you can reasonably manage that won't be too strenuous for you. Have a plan to extend your walk a little farther each week. Set a time goal each week where you are going to do your exercise or walk for X minutes at a time with the goal to bump that up each week. You'll eventually get to a point where you can exercise for longer periods of time. Ease into it, don't injure yourself. And talk to your doctor first.

What I'm getting at is that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. You don't have to be a vegan Ironman out of the gate (or ever!) Try to gradually make changes that you can be incorporated into your life. If you're desperately hungry with what you're doing now, it will be very hard for you to keep at it. I would even buck the system and say, don't even worry about the calories at first. Just try to get to place where you are eating healthier and moving more. You can worry about calories later, first try to get yourself to a healthy place. Experience small daily and weekly successes that will make you feel good about yourself and what you're doing. As you rack up these small successes, they will lead to bigger and bigger successes and significant progress. Think about what all these little steps could add up to in a month, six months, a year!

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
As far as exercise goes, it's something I am not wanting to do, although I am beginning to do some rubber band type leg exercises in my chair.
Since you're already on the internet you can search YouTube for various workouts. Leslie Sansone's walking in place workouts might be a good place to start, or you can look for Sit and Be Fit style chair aerobics if you have mobility issues. Start out with 10 or 15 minute workouts, and go from there.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
OP,

Don't feel like you immediately have to be perfect. This is not easy, so you need to do everything you can to set yourself up for success.

Think of a few things that you can do this week to improve your eating plan. Maybe it's to not bring chips and cookies into the house, or to cut two out of three meals a day in half. Maybe swap a snack for something healthier. Whatever those few things are, commit to doing them for a full week.

Be consistent. Log your progress. Be kind to yourself. Give yourself a small (non-food) reward when you get through your week with success. If you screw up for a day, don't beat yourself up, just get back to your commitment for the next meal.

Then the next week, pick a couple of additional healthy food choices to add to your plan. Keep your commitment, log your progress (or post them here!) and feel good about yourself. Give yourself a small (non-food) reward after this week.

Each week, add more healthy options to your plan. As you go through each, try to move more. If you try the band workout that you mentioned, maybe you start your first week with three 5 minute sessions a day. The next week, try to add a couple of minutes to each session.

Are you not mobile at all, or can you walk some? If you can walk, set a small goal of just walking down your driveway and back, or up and down the hallway of your apartment building a few times. Whatever you can reasonably manage that won't be too strenuous for you. Have a plan to extend your walk a little farther each week. Set a time goal each week where you are going to do your exercise or walk for X minutes at a time with the goal to bump that up each week. You'll eventually get to a point where you can exercise for longer periods of time. Ease into it, don't injure yourself. And talk to your doctor first.

What I'm getting at is that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. You don't have to be a vegan Ironman out of the gate (or ever!) Try to gradually make changes that you can be incorporated into your life. If you're desperately hungry with what you're doing now, it will be very hard for you to keep at it. I would even buck the system and say, don't even worry about the calories at first. Just try to get to place where you are eating healthier and moving more. You can worry about calories later, first try to get yourself to a healthy place. Experience small daily and weekly successes that will make you feel good about yourself and what you're doing. As you rack up these small successes, they will lead to bigger and bigger successes and significant progress. Think about what all these little steps could add up to in a month, six months, a year!

Good luck to you.
Thanks. I am trying to not eat close to bedtime. It's a struggle for me. But thanks for everyone's help.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:52 AM

23 posts, read 13,229 times
The only thing that has ever worked for me is just simple calorie counting. You have to calculate your approximate TDEE and just eat 100-200 calories below that every day for a while. Mathematically, it just works - no need for guesswork or weird diets. Track your food intake and weigh or measure almost everything. If you do it correctly, there is literally no way you can overeat - give it enough time and you will lose the weight.

Other than that, the only other food plan I think is effective is keto. But I like carbs too much so I can't do that .

Old 02-24-2018, 12:02 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find your body adjusts and stops craving whatever your weakness is (sweet, salty, etc.), once you get used to NOT having it all the time, you gain more control when you do have it.
I totally agree with this. If you can get through the first few cravings for a certain junk food, and don't keep it in the house, you will find you stop wanting it. You stop craving it. For example, when I've been pregnant in the past, I've made huge strides to eat healthy, and my cravings would literally be for apples, or celery, instead of ice cream.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,259,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I totally agree with this. If you can get through the first few cravings for a certain junk food, and don't keep it in the house, you will find you stop wanting it. You stop craving it. For example, when I've been pregnant in the past, I've made huge strides to eat healthy, and my cravings would literally be for apples, or celery, instead of ice cream.
I am doing better. I notice when I prepare and have ready a nice little fruit compote (cut-up apples or pears), and I add some balsamic vinegar with splenda or whatever, I am happy and do not go overboard. And I am learning to distinguish what it is I want -- if it is salty or sweet food.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,275 times
Avoid sugary drinks and fruit juice.
Drink water a half hour before meals
Eat soluble fiber
Drink coffee or tea
Eat your food slowly.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:08 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I am doing better. I notice when I prepare and have ready a nice little fruit compote (cut-up apples or pears), and I add some balsamic vinegar with splenda or whatever, I am happy and do not go overboard. And I am learning to distinguish what it is I want -- if it is salty or sweet food.
Good for you, OP. Sounds like you are being more mindful of what you are eating. Keep it up!

Old 02-28-2018, 12:11 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
I consider every day to be a small victory. Congrats OP.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:20 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Look into Intermittent Fasting (IF). It has many advantages. I am currently eating during an 8 hour period and fasting for 16 hours each day. Lots of information is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss