Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 09:33 PM

1,195 posts, read 984,525 times

Advertisements

This is a challenge. What I'm currently doing:

Gradually eating more and more healthy foods. So far I've eliminated junk food, soda, processed food (or enough that it's under 20% of my diet), added more wholesome fresh foods, eliminated juices, and cut down on heavy foods like pizza, mexican, and have eliminated fast food.

Exercise daily, such as a 30 minute walk which is sustainable.

I drink at least 8 cups of fluid, 4 can be water, 2 milk, 1 coffee, 1 low fat/ diet/ carbonated water/ tea. Someone may need more or less depending on their size.

Get in touch with how many calories you're consuming. I can now calculate this like 2nd nature, much less likely to go over, and if I do it's not by 500+ calories. I eat less the next day if I go way over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 05:27 PM

93 posts, read 63,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I eat so-called good food, not junk. But evidently I eat too much good food. And I get hungry even when I know my stomach is not hungry. So what do you do to stop the desire to eat when you know you should have had enough?
I've been where you are. I have a love affair with food. I "try" to eat healthy but too much of even healthy food is not good for you. Too much is still too much.

Couple of tricks that I've learned during my struggles.

- If you go out to eat. Make a healthy decision and tell the server to bring you a "to go" container right away When the meal arrives, immediately put half of it in the container for the next day. 90% of the time I then send the left overs home with someone else.

- Do as much meal prep as you can ahead of time. I learned a while back that to be successful at weight loss I had to be consistent in what I was eating. To me this meant making and my meals a few days at a time. My go to for weight loss is chicken and vegetables. I'm ok with eating the same thing 3 or 4 days in a row if I'm seeing results.

- Get everything that is unhealthy out of the house. When i started my diet I cleaned out the cabinets and gave it to my friends.

- Buy healthy snacks. Unsalted nuts, wheat crackers, Fruits you like but be careful on too much sugar.

- Always have a meal in the refrigerator ready to go.

- Always have a healthy snack with you when the urge hits you.

- Single biggest thing is to find someone to do this with. I'm lucky as I have the worlds greatest GF and she supports me and is keeping me on track .

Old 04-22-2018, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 1,737 times
Default hhh i got you girl

i have the exact same problem but this is what i do I drink alot of water before I eat anything that way when the food goes in you get full fast and it takes up most of the space.. and dont have to eat as much or over eat! i hope that helps you on your journey...

Old 06-28-2018, 07:29 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times
Losing weight is not complicated. You need to eat less!

Either people are stupid or just lazy, or both. There is no magic diet that will cause weight loss. I think people know that eating less is better, but for some reason they look for some other way because they don't want to eat less. They think that eating this or that will cause the weight to come off. No! People should eat healthy food and less of it. It's not freaking rocket science.

I lost 30 pounds since the beginning of the year, all I do is track everything I eat with an app (cronometer) and I stay below 1800 calories per day. I do eat healthy and choose foods that are nutrient rich. I would rather eat a giant salad that has 300 calories rather than a doughnut that has 300 calories. Obviously the salad will keep me full longer, and is more nutritious.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:33 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
LOL, can't do that yet. It's not so much the stomach. I know it's not hungry. I was hoping there would be a magic something.
Magic. That's funny. Yet sad. It's called will power and strategy. You need to divert your attention if you feel hungry. Do something that does not involve putting food in your mouth. Go for a walk. Play the piano. Clean the house. Read a book. Etc. Etc. Etc. The hungry feeling will subside eventually, you have to stay strong and tell yourself YOU WILL DO IT!

Old 09-08-2018, 04:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
What works for me and it's E A S Y for me, is keeping bread, bagels, donuts, cookies, etc. out of my house. Not even tempted to change those ways. Occasionally have a couple bran muffins that I can eat one in a few days. Eat a 1/4 here and there.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 PM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
I don't follow any programs and have just learned to eat according to some broader guidelines.

I have really struggled in the past with sugar/carb addiction and so I didn't really do well on any diets that relied on cutting calories while maintaining a moderate carb intake. For me, the best approach was to simply eliminate the breads and sugars entirely from my diet. I was never one for soda or candy, but my real weaknesses were with things like oats, breads, scones, tea biscuits in the morning and my beloved oat milk in my morning coffee (which has a surprising amount of sugar). The problem for me was that I was eating healthy foods by definition (whole grains, nothing processed, etc) but my intake of food was disproportionately skewed towards the pasta/bread/biscuits and not the healthy vegetables and proteins. The more sugar I ate (in the form of carbs) the more I craved shortly thereafter. Vicious cycle and all.

I think a lot of people assume low-carb is all meat and cheese, but I try to eat a balanced and varied diet with a variety of green and yellow vegetables, meats, and other protein sources. I eat milk, eggs, seafood, chicken and avoid beef and pork. I sometimes scratch the itch of chocolate craving with a couple small pieces of 90% chocolate Lindt bar, but for the most part I don't crave sugar anymore. I do miss the variety of fruit I used to eat, and plan to slowly re-incorporate them back into my diet. Right now I eat are small amounts of berries (blackberries, blueberries, etc). I do eat a variety of nuts, seeds, cheeses and the very rare lentils. I also enjoy a lot of things like tofu, almond milk, flax seeds, coffee, and the occasional glass of red or white wine.

So far I have lost about 30lbs following this approach (my goal is 60). Having struggled with hypoglycemia from my teens, I know the misery of a sugar crash and feeling exhausted or tired after eating a carb-heavy meal. As most people say, success comes from finding something that works and you can stick with long-term. For me, this involved trying to adjust my food intake to weight more heavily towards foods that give me more energy and reduce food craving as opposed to feeling bloated and tired.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:51 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I know a man who used to be obese until his mid twenties. He went on a weight loss diet based upon counting calories and got down to a normal size. He has never gained the weight back.

This man is now about 75 years old and he still looks great. I asked him what he does to keep the weight off. Sounds like he's researched it and came up with his own plan. He says it's not a diet but it's what he does, a lifestyle.

This man doesn't even cook! He buys salad greens, vegetables, and fruits. He combines the foods to make meals. Sounds like he eats a lot of salads of all kinds, very few carbs, and very little meat. He will eat salmon or chicken in his salads. To sweeten something, he uses Stevia. For drinks, it's probably mostly tea or maybe coffee, lots of water, maybe almond milk. He says he eats one square of Lindt dark chocolate every day. ONE square. He is very disciplined about not eating too much of anything. Says it's good for you. He also takes a multi vitamin and vitamin D. His only cereal product is Kashi. (No sugar.)

He says it's okay to go out to a restaurant once a month for a meal. But limit yourself to once a month and no more. I don't know what he eats in winter when it's cold here and the rest of us are keeping warm with beef stew and other hot dishes.

The other thing he does faithfully is to exercise. He keeps a stationary bike in the living room and does 15 minutes on it, once in the morning and once in the evening. Never misses a day.

This man is a creature of habit and fortunately he has kept true to his sense of self discipline. I could probably put ice cream and cake in front of his face and he wouldn't be tempted. He is so accustomed to his lifestyle that he doesn't even want junk food anymore. So it can be done. His dad died very young and this guy grew up with only a mother. His mother was overweight. So he probably didn't inherit great genes--but he's done it all himself and he seems to know what he's doing. It's not just about weight loss. It's about good health--no sugar, moderate exercise, green vegetables, steady habits, portion control--and knowing that this is it for the rest of your life. He's very happy and doesn't feel deprived.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:57 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I've been counting calories since the 80s. Used to do it by hand, but myfitnesspal makes it so much easier now, it's very simple and easy. Whenever I add something new to my daily meals, I enter it in MFP, and make adjustments as necessary to keep my calories where they need to be to keep my weight stable. This has worked for me for decades.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I gave up eating pretty much anything I WANTED to eat decades ago. Sad. I just had to accept I could not eat like a normal person and LOOK like a normal person.

Vacations, Holidays, and birthdays are cheat days and I can eat anything I please. I plan every bite months in advance too. I LIVE for those few paltry days of FREE FOOD! The rest of the time I live on less than 25 carbs a day. And I work out 5 to 6 hours a week. Just normal activity the rest of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss