Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:57 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

Keto diets work because of reduced calories. JUST LIKE ANY OTHER DIET. You can't overeat, like any other diet.

https://rnnr.us/2017/11/26/personal-...lorie-deficit/

Deficit: The

The takeaway is that can achieve the deficit easier because a) fat is more satiating and b) being in ketosis helps.

In exchange, I'd have to deal with adding fat to EVERY. SINGLE. THING which is a real chore. Testing myself to see if I'm in ketosis, limiting perfectly good things like fruits and some vegetables. Having to rely on sugar alcohols and other pseudo-sugars if I want to enjoy anything sweet. No thanks.

Different strokes for different folks, though for people who have reached a frustration point (as I have), good on them to find something that works even if it is just as restrictive as any other diet.

Dieting period is not fun, whether it's a fat diet or not. Most people would prefer to eat garbage filled with lots of fat, carbs, everything. If one notices, most of America..wait North America...is overweight and keto isn't exactly changing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Yeah, I guess that's why all the Keto dieters are gaining weight like crazy?

Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs do. The evidence is clear, regardless of how much you want to stick your head in the sand about it. Keto is low carb HIGH fat, and fat contains MORE calories than carbs per gram. Show me where Keto dieters are getting fat.

Oh and by the way, Carbs and Fat combined are even worse than carbs by themselves. You take carbs out of the equation and you don't get fat. In fact, you could eat pure fat and not get fat.

A calorie is not a calorie, I can also repeat it over and over. 500 calories from ice cream do not have the same effect on our body as 500 calories of steak. The difference between the two?
Well, back it up. If calories don't make you fat just carbs have a cup of olive or other cooking oil with every meal for a month. Let us know how much weight you've lost over this month.

Keto dieters are losing wait for the same reason all other dieters lose weight. Caloric deficit. They aren't eating a pound of bacon at every meal or gulping down a cup of olive oil or snacking on several sticks of butter. If they were, they'd get fat.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-05-2018 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 08:11 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Keto diets work because of reduced calories. JUST LIKE ANY OTHER DIET. You can't overeat, like any other diet.

https://rnnr.us/2017/11/26/personal-...lorie-deficit/

Deficit: The

The takeaway is that can achieve the deficit easier because a) fat is more satiating and b) being in ketosis helps.

In exchange, I'd have to deal with adding fat to EVERY. SINGLE. THING which is a real chore. Testing myself to see if I'm in ketosis, limiting perfectly good things like fruits and some vegetables. Having to rely on sugar alcohols and other pseudo-sugars if I want to enjoy anything sweet. No thanks.

Different strokes for different folks, though for people who have reached a frustration point (as I have), good on them to find something that works even if it is just as restrictive as any other diet.

Dieting period is not fun, whether it's a fat diet or not. Most people would prefer to eat garbage filled with lots of fat, carbs, everything. If one notices, most of America..wait North America...is overweight and keto isn't exactly changing that.
This is a typical response from someone that is ignorant about keto diets. You have no other "explanation" do you? I won't waste my time and hey, I never heard back from Lucky did I?

You can't base everything on your limited views and likes. That's not how things work.

Last edited by gguerra; 11-06-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, back it up. If calories don't make you fat just carbs have a cup of olive or other cooking oil with every meal for a month. Let us know how much weight you've lost over this month.

Keto dieters are losing wait for the same reason all other dieters lose weight. Caloric deficit. They aren't eating a pound of bacon at every meal or gulping down a cup of olive oil or snacking on several sticks of butter. If they were, they'd get fat.
Never did answer my question, did you?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 AM

All of this about not being able to sustain the diet is complete BS. It's not a diet but a lifestyle and people are basing this on what they "like" and once you switch over to eating a certain way, it becomes as natural as eating any other way and then you don't have to sustain anything.

Why do keto diets work so well vs low-calorie diets? It's complicated but HORMONES have a large part in it. Until you grasp that idea, you will never understand. Metabolism and how we process food is complicated and cannot be as simplified as calories in calories out. If it was, then EVERYBODY doing low-calorie diets would lose weight, why don't they and why do they seek alternatives that actually work? Can anybody answer that?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
This is a typical response from someone that is ignorant about keto diets. You have no other "explanation" do you? I won't waste my time and hey, I never heard back from Lucky did I?

You can't base everything on your limited views and likes. That's not how things work.
actually you will waste your time. you ALWAYS do, lol.

just like I can't base everything on my "limited views and likes", neither can you. your views and likes are just as limited as mine.

and I know enough about the keto diet - it's called google - to respond to you.

ALL DIETS whether they are high fat, high carb, whatever WORK by restricting calories and/or creating a deficit of some kind. You choose the diet that's best for your needs and for some people, high fat is the answer. For others, that may not be the case and there are options out there that are effective and achieve desired results. And you can't refute what I'm saying either, because ultimately I've reached my goals (and have maintained) and it isn't by happenstance. I ate more carbs than I do now while I was dieting and yet I lost body fat. I frankly admit that I am active and I burn a lot of those carbs, but heck, people need to be more active anyway.

In addition, the keto diet is as restrictive as any other. so you supposedly don't restrict calories (even though you really are because you wouldn't lose if that wasn't the case). You're busy counting fat grams and trying to maintain a state of ketosis (which you can easily get out of). you have to test your urine/breath. you have to add fat to just about everything, which for some people, is objectionable. as I said, diets period involve some sort of adherence and willpower regardless.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,861 times
I took off 70 pounds and keep it off for five years now by counting calories. Even now that I am at a good weight, I still count the calories so I don't gain it back. I also exercise five times a week.

The end result is I can eat anything I like: fat, carbs, fat and carbs together, etc. I just have to not eat too much of it.

Another tip I would say is to try and not lose weight too quickly. It took me years to lose the weight. In that time, I've seen friends yo-yo up and down. Slow and steady wins the weight loss race. Plus, it gives you time to develop new eating habits to keep from gaining weight.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:41 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
All of this about not being able to sustain the diet is complete BS. It's not a diet but a lifestyle and people are basing this on what they "like" and once you switch over to eating a certain way, it becomes as natural as eating any other way and then you don't have to sustain anything.

Why do keto diets work so well vs low-calorie diets? It's complicated but HORMONES have a large part in it. Until you grasp that idea, you will never understand. Metabolism and how we process food is complicated and cannot be as simplified as calories in calories out. If it was, then EVERYBODY doing low-calorie diets would lose weight, why don't they and why do they seek alternatives that actually work? Can anybody answer that?
It worked for you and you can eat that way. The biggest problem with eating Keto is the restrictive of food choices. It is the number one reason why people fail on that way of eating. I managed it for 6 months and I was getting frustrated with it so much so I went off of it. I had already lost the amount of weight I wanted to lose, I was just maintaining and it was HARD for me. I got sick of eating so much fat it made me nauseous.

In the end it is all down to calories in vs calories out. You can choose to believe otherwise.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:45 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I wouldn't do keto due to the lack of variety, to me, that also means lack of a variety of nutrients that my body needs.

I lost 28 lbs this year eating a variety of foods, including carbs.

Full disclosure, a lot of that weight gain seems to have been from meds I no longer take. Before that almost nothing I did resulted in weight loss.

Eat healthy whole foods, lots of variety, lots of spices and herbs, watch your calories and exercise.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:

what is it that you don't understand? when it comes diet, it's all about what you "like" if you're gonna stick with it for life. Keto is a diet. Everywhere I've seen it's termed "diet". Not everyone cares for that diet/"lifestyle" and it's not mandatory to follow it if you want results. Now if that works for you, then by all means. But keto is really no different than other diets, they all involve willpower/adjustments/what have you. They all involve dedication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss