Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:22 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That would be too bad re: the beans. Beans are just all sorts of awesome for me. Can't beat that fiber and iron. I know you don't eat rice, but I am full for hours eating 3/4 cup rice with 1/4-1/2 cup of beans. I'm of partial Latin and West Indian ancestry, so beans and rice was a staple growing up.

I eat every 2-3 hours during the workweek, every 4 hours during the weekend.

I haven't stopped with the beans but may eat LESS...I eat some almost every morning with my elaborate breakfast. I was raised on spaghetti and breads and I've not eaten those in years. Except for a bun when I get a Carl's Jr once a month or more. If I felt better joint-wise, I would eliminate more lectins. One way to find out some things is elimination of foods.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-12-2018 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 07:30 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Yes, I believe calories are the rule. However, I just get hungry and want to eat. I have avoided potato chips and junk food for the most part. I don't eat french fries; don't really like them too much. But OBVIOUSLY I'm doing something wrong since I am gaining, not losing. I weigh now about 210 and I'm 74, female, and stand about 5'5". My knees hurt, so I know I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. OK, I sipped a lot of tea today. :-) And also ate pretty well, meaning good food and not too much of it, but -- I think I will soon do the calorie counting thing.
From what you've been posting you seem like sugar is an issue. Sugar triggers sugar.

Cut back on sugar, and that includes bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, the *white* foods. After you cut back, you will see that you can get along without a ton of it.

Replace with higher fat foods, which will make you feel fuller longer.

Stay away from anything labeled low-fat, because it is LOADED with sugar.

Replace sodas with sparking waters, unsweetened ice tea. Both come in a ton of different flavors so you won't get bored.

And you must calorie count. You must portion control.

I would also suggest looking into the keto diet. It doesn't mean you have to be full on keto, but learning about it can really help with weight loss for people who are sugar junkies because it gets the cravings under control. Can't hurt to just look into it (as well as a lower carb diet in general).

Youtube go keto with casey. She's in her 60s and lost 47 lbs in a year. She was overweight her entire life, her dr said she would probably have to go on insulin. She wasn't trying to lose weight-- she had given up on losing weight -- but was determined NOT to go on insulin ... she dropped 47 lbs in a year and has kept it off.
She has 3 rules:
1 Eat when you're hungry.
2. Stop when you're full.
3. Don't put carbs in your mouth.

ADD: i don't know her/support her in anyway. It was just nice to see a not-20-something who had real success with a doable diet without gimmicks, expensive products, magic shakes, special measuring containers, etc. It's a doable diet, real food, can cook or eat out, etc.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
From what you've been posting you seem like sugar is an issue. Sugar triggers sugar.

3. Don't put carbs in your mouth.

ADD: i don't know her/support her in anyway. It was just nice to see a not-20-something who had real success with a doable diet without gimmicks, expensive products, magic shakes, special measuring containers, etc. It's a doable diet, real food, can cook or eat out, etc.
Stop the insanity. Carbs are fine. If you want to go low carb thats fine, but recognize you will still be eating some carbs!
Also realize that diets that promote excluding a food group usually have high short term success rates but usually fail in the long run.
And, most importantly that everyone is different and some people do just fine eating from all the food groups.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Stop the insanity. Carbs are fine. If you want to go low carb thats fine, but recognize you will still be eating some carbs!
Also realize that diets that promote excluding a food group usually have high short term success rates but usually fail in the long run.
And, most importantly that everyone is different and some people do just fine eating from all the food groups.
No need to get annoyed, lol. Everyone does it differently and no where did I disparage any other food groups or any other diets that anyone else posted, so not sure why you are feeling the need to *yell* at me. And sugar is not a food group, btw. They should call it a low-sugar diet, which is what it really is, then maybe people would understand it better.

That being said, if someone is a sugar junkie, low carb is a very effective way to get cravings under control and limit calories without feeling hungry all the time. Sugar triggers sugar and unless that is under control, the weight ain't coming off because sugar calories are going in.

I've been doing low carb since the beginning of the year with no issues. At all. I don't even want sugar any more. So this is definitely an effective long-term way to eat a healthy diet, removing SUGAR -- which is 100% not necessary and empty calories -- which reduces caloric intake. I don't seem myself EVER going back to eating tons of bread/rice/potatoes etc. Just not going to happen. I feel so much better without it. I can eat regular food, get takeout, go to restaurants, eat appetizers, etc. It is not restrictive in any sense of the word. Except limited carbs / sugar. Lifestyle has not changed AT ALL.

YMMV. And if it's not for you, fine. If it is for you, that's fine too. And that is also why I posted abut a 60+ yr old woman who after decades of every diet known to man, had success doing keto. And has kept the weight off. It's a good example.

BTW, it's just another SUGGESTION. No need to get angry about it. Not sure why people get so ticked off about it anyway. Kinda weird. /shrug/

Old 02-13-2018, 09:05 AM

Going to start calling it a low-sugar diet, not low-carb diet from now on.

Just makes more sense.

Here's a typical day:

BF: sausages and coffee with cream, 1 tsp sugar (measured)
Lunch: tuna with mayo, chopped onions, shredded cheese, 1 strip real bacon crumbled over chopped romaine lettuce, ranch dressing
Dinner: Shephard's pie: chop meat, tomatoes, green beans, onions, garlic with mashed cauliflower with sour cream added in
Snack: 1 serving mixed nuts, 1 sq 72% dark chocolate (30 cal and 3 carbs) and 1 coconut cookie (90 cal + 9 carbs)
Drinks: water, unsweetened ice tea

Does that sound like a diet that is not doable long-term? Real food. Yummy food. Low sugar and limited calories = weight loss

Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
No need to get annoyed, lol. Everyone does it differently and no where did I disparage any other food groups or any other diets that anyone else posted, so not sure why you are feeling the need to *yell* at me. And sugar is not a food group, btw. They should call it a low-sugar diet, which is what it really is, then maybe people would understand it better.

That being said, if someone is a sugar junkie, low carb is a very effective way to get cravings under control and limit calories without feeling hungry all the time. Sugar triggers sugar and unless that is under control, the weight ain't coming off because sugar calories are going in.

I've been doing low carb since the beginning of the year with no issues. At all. I don't even want sugar any more. So this is definitely an effective long-term way to eat a healthy diet, removing SUGAR -- which is 100% not necessary and empty calories -- which reduces caloric intake. I don't seem myself EVER going back to eating tons of bread/rice/potatoes etc. Just not going to happen. I feel so much better without it. I can eat regular food, get takeout, go to restaurants, eat appetizers, etc. It is not restrictive in any sense of the word. Except limited carbs / sugar. Lifestyle has not changed AT ALL.

YMMV. And if it's not for you, fine. If it is for you, that's fine too. And that is also why I posted abut a 60+ yr old woman who after decades of every diet known to man, had success doing keto. And has kept the weight off. It's a good example.

BTW, it's just another SUGGESTION. No need to get angry about it. Not sure why people get so ticked off about it anyway. Kinda weird. /shrug/
Not angry, just someone who is frustrated with people who tell other people to not eat carbs. I am glad you changed the wording.
And as someone who lost weight successfully and kept it off, I ate plenty of rice, potatoes (by the way potatoes are very nutritious), and bread. I stayed away from junk food and prepackaged foods. I ate nutrient dense foods and healthy fats.
Also, when you tell people to not eat bread and rice you are eliminating fa food group.

And as we both realize there is no one way to do it. I could never, ever eliminate grains - did it once for 6 months and it sucked.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Going to start calling it a low-sugar diet, not low-carb diet from now on.

Just makes more sense.

Here's a typical day:

BF: sausages and coffee with cream, 1 tsp sugar (measured)
Lunch: tuna with mayo, chopped onions, shredded cheese, 1 strip real bacon crumbled over chopped romaine lettuce, ranch dressing
Dinner: Shephard's pie: chop meat, tomatoes, green beans, onions, garlic with mashed cauliflower with sour cream added in
Snack: 1 serving mixed nuts, 1 sq 72% dark chocolate (30 cal and 3 carbs) and 1 coconut cookie (90 cal + 9 carbs)
Drinks: water, unsweetened ice tea

Does that sound like a diet that is not doable long-term? Real food. Yummy food. Low sugar and limited calories = weight loss
When people eat a carb-based diet, they are also eating "real food" and delicious food. Eating carbs doesn't equate to weight gain. That's my only point.

I am a definite sugarholic. We all have our vices. I'd rather be overweight than to eliminate sugar from my diet. What I did when I was losing was learn how to modify rather than eliminate. I found that by eating one sugary snack and one sugary item for dessert, my cravings were satisfied without a serious dent in the caloric budget. Eating a Skinny Cow chocolate bar midday, for example, helped me to walk away from higher calorie bombs found in my office kitchen or vending machines.

You are right, we all approach things differently and are passionate about what works(ed) for us. I didn't follow a specific eating plan, I just mastered the art of portion control. Over time, I lost. Ultimately though, all diets involve limiting calories, plain and simple. You just need to find what can help you do that without going batty. As for hunger, I've found eating an "old fashioned" meal of 1 carb serving (i.e. a potato, a 3/4 cup of rice, beans, 1 cup of pasta), a protein (4-5 oz meat or equivalent), and a hearty portion of veggies to do the trick and last for hours. I never eat just protein or carbs by themselves as they do nothing for me. Eating multiple servings of meat (especially red meat) causes me to have digestive issues. It takes my body some time to adequately process red meat. Frankly I'm just not a big meat consumer but love it too much to be a full vegetarian.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I can agree with some of that right now. I was thinking about that. A person came by from local community action and took some information down because I was applying for help that I needed. And she asked me if I ate 5 fruits a day. Hardly. I try to eat at least one fruit a day. I'm thinking -- maybe I should have a goal of at least three whole fruits a day. ?? Maybe that will help me keep my appetite down. I know it's not the stomach, I got used to understanding when my stomach tells me it's reacting. And when it's full. But full doesn't always mean I don't want to eat. (That's the problem.)

Do you have 8 glasses of water a day? I try, but I don't think I reach 8 glasses of water a day. (Speaking of which, I should now have a few sips of water. <g> I already made my morning coffee.)
Fruit does not satisfy hunger whatsoever. It tastes good but does not do anything for hunger. Certain kinds of carbohydrates will make you feel hungry all the time. The more you eat, the more you want. Low carb diets will eliminate cravings whereas high carb diets do the opposite. That is the jist of it. THIS is a fact, regardless of what you will hear and the sooner you realize that the better (for you).

Old 02-13-2018, 09:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Fruit does not satisfy hunger whatsoever. It tastes good but does not do anything for hunger. Certain kinds of carbohydrates will make you feel hungry all the time. The more you eat, the more you want. Low carb diets will eliminate cravings whereas high carb diets do the opposite. That is the jist of it. THIS is a fact, regardless of what you will hear and the sooner you realize that the better (for you).
my husband is doing low carb because he's pre-diabetic. He eats fewer than 100 carbs per day and eats lots of meat, fat, cheese. And he's hungry about every 3 hours (which is comparable with my own diet).

Old 02-13-2018, 10:33 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I agree with you that certain kinds of carbs will make you hungry/crave. But the type of food that causes this in each person is highly individual. Apples used to do that to me, but now they're very filling and satisfying. I think my body adjusted to my overall low sugar/highly refined carb intake and now I can eat things that I previously couldn't. That's just a guess, I don't really know WHY, I just know that it did change.

I still can't stop with a reasonable portion of Wheat Thins. One bite and the box is as good as gone. But Triscuits, I can eat 4 or 5 and be happy. Who knows why.

So I'd recommend the OP try different fruits and note how each one affects her cravings and stick with the ones that don't leave her wanting peanut butter toast. I paid attention with every food I ate and eventually figured out which ones were most satisfying, and saved the other choices for a treat meal. Occasionally I try something I had a problem with in the past to see if my body's reaction has changed. Sometimes it has, sometimes it hasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss