Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times

Advertisements

I've been doing it for some time and it is pretty awesome. After extended fasting, I've noticed that I can consume more calories without gaining weight. The rationale is that prolonged fasting releases growth hormone post-fast.

The guy (Cole Robinson) is a bit "colorful" with the language and is downright insulting to snowflaky viewers, but it's kind of designed to be motivating. He's also more real than 90% of the life coaches out there with his advice, which can also be a bit extreme.

Cole sells nothing and actually lives pretty meagerly. I'm sure he'll eventually sell out and rebrand himself on this, but what's cool is that fasting actually can reduce your food bill at least in the near term, until your increased metabolism requires you to eat more food that is. :-)

https://www.snakediet.com/how-it-works/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_y...G5pxqvkOxBtsFA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 04:29 PM

11,114 posts, read 7,174,871 times
It's slightly better than the rat diet. I'm working on a book now for the marsupial diet, and it's gonna be a big hit.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's slightly better than the rat diet. I'm working on a book now for the marsupial diet, and it's gonna be a big hit.
Haha. I think Cole named it the snake diet because you eat like a snake: that is to say, you eat nothing for days and then feast when you find food.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:21 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
If I happened to have the metabolism of a poikilotherm like a snake maybe it would work well. Last time I checked, I was a homeothermic primate. Probably good reasons why it would be hard to stick to.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
If I happened to have the metabolism of a poikilotherm like a snake maybe it would work well. Last time I checked, I was a homeothermic primate. Probably good reasons why it would be hard to stick to.
You raise a good point. However, I'll stick with my intuition that a wealthier society with easy access to food and being brainwashed into thinking a body runs best on 3 meals a day by the mainstream consensus, as well as bizarre urban legends like "you slow your metabolism down if you fast".

After fasting for 24 and 48 hour periods, I don't eat breakfast anymore. I just don't. There's no need and I focus just fine without food in the morning, plus I get to eat many more calories for 1-2 meals a day I do eat, even more than I could if I ate 3 meals. I feel gluttonous and sluggish with 3 meals a day.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:36 AM

The body goes through big changes and swings when it goes from having food to not having food. Unless one is heavily overweight, it seems to be better to have consistent eating. Maybe less than normal, and less that the "average person", but continuous and not hurky-jerky.

Our bodies are nothing like snakes, so it's silly and unhealthy to eat like them. And that's just a short skip to the vulture diet, eating carrion and such. Ewww.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:38 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
are they rebranding what is known as intermittent fasting?

Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
are they rebranding what is known as intermittent fasting?
Probably. They have to have a new label, to sell books, or it will fall under the radar.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:11 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,579,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You raise a good point. However, I'll stick with my intuition that a wealthier society with easy access to food and being brainwashed into thinking a body runs best on 3 meals a day by the mainstream consensus, as well as bizarre urban legends like "you slow your metabolism down if you fast".

After fasting for 24 and 48 hour periods, I don't eat breakfast anymore. I just don't. There's no need and I focus just fine without food in the morning, plus I get to eat many more calories for 1-2 meals a day I do eat, even more than I could if I ate 3 meals. I feel gluttonous and sluggish with 3 meals a day.
My breakfast is almost always somewhere under 150 calories, so even if I skipped it, the payout later in the day ain't so great.

I don't think it's fair to blame a civilized society for our typical eating habits. Poor people would eat regularly as well if they had access to a food source.

But I do agree that we should all trust our intuition to determine what works best for us. My one rule is to never rely on a strategy and/or approach which makes it hard for me to live my life and share time with loved ones. Not eating for a day or two would make it difficult to share a meal with my wife, one of my favorite times of the day.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:02 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
My breakfast is almost always somewhere under 150 calories, so even if I skipped it, the payout later in the day ain't so great.

I don't think it's fair to blame a civilized society for our typical eating habits. Poor people would eat regularly as well if they had access to a food source.

But I do agree that we should all trust our intuition to determine what works best for us. My one rule is to never rely on a strategy and/or approach which makes it hard for me to live my life and share time with loved ones. Not eating for a day or two would make it difficult to share a meal with my wife, one of my favorite times of the day.
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss