Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Most people doing a "keto diet" are actually doing something more similar to Atkins........close but not keto.
^^ This. It's hard to get the fat without the protein and I'm not just talking about animal products. You could buy a steak and trim the most of lean part off, I doubt anyone does that. Most people consume way more protein than they should on Keto thereby making it more like Atkins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Challenge accepted.

Other than surgery, literally the only way anyone loses weight is by using more energy than they consume for a period of time. That's not my opinion, that's fact. Every single diet that has ever proven successful only did so because it resulted in the body needing to tap into stored energy.

Maybe it failed as a strategy, but it didn't fail because the formula is wrong.

A Big Mac is only 560 calories. Add an order of small fries and you're right at 800 calories for a meal. Pizza is anywhere from 275-400 calories per slice (traditional slice of NY-styled is generally 300). For the average male, if they adhere to a 2,000 calorie per day diet religiously, they'll lose weight assuming they have what to lose.

Provide me with credible evidence to contradict what I've said. Not your opinion, not a quote on a private or unqualified website; connect me with a single, legitimate source that calls what I said into question and I'll gladly consider it.
I didn't challenge you, no thanks. You obviously have no clue. I'm already blue in the face. Been there done that. Oh and by the way, the thread is on Keto, start your own if you wish.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:33 PM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
If you are really doing a keto-diet, it should show-up in the results. Get ketone-strips, on a keto-diet, you will have a moderate-level of ketones or greater.

Most people doing a "keto diet" are actually doing something more similar to Atkins........close but not keto.

Have the strips and as of yesterday was in the 1.5 range of ketones.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:19 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
We've all been over that. CICO does not work for MANY people and it's a recipe for disaster or it just doesn't work. Calorie restriction ruins your metabolism for a long time. You can preach it all you want, does not mean anyone's listening.

Big Mac? Pizza you say? LOL
CICO is not some type of diet plan, that needs to “work”. It involves science. The law of thermodynamics has yet to be disproven. Anyone who consumes more than their body needs will gain weight period. Keto, as a diet plan, doesn’t disprove CICO. Since fat is more dense you eat less. For example you eat a high fat high calorie meal that lasts for six hours and follow that with another similar meal you’re still eating less calories. Any fat burned is replaced by the high amount of fat eaten.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Have the strips and as of yesterday was in the 1.5 range of ketones.

Cool.

I eat a modified Atkins diet.....too much protein in my diet to attain a significant level of ketosis. I probably get most of my energy from protein being converted into glucose.....but I do show a small amount of ketones in my urine when I test. But I doubt a significant amount of my energy is coming from fat, YMMV.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 PM

42 posts, read 35,410 times
Thread was derailed .

None of the keto calculators seem to work and are accurate .

I feel the 115-130g of protein range that they are all alluding to use is very low for me . 230 pounds and lift weights .

Should I just eat 200g of protein and carb cycle for better results ?

Just like the idea of how well my stomach feels without carbs bogging it down .

I just want to lean out about 10-15 pounds without losing size and strength

Old 07-18-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNy92 View Post
Thread was derailed .

None of the keto calculators seem to work and are accurate .

I feel the 115-130g of protein range that they are all alluding to use is very low for me . 230 pounds and lift weights .

Should I just eat 200g of protein and carb cycle for better results ?

Just like the idea of how well my stomach feels without carbs bogging it down .

I just want to lean out about 10-15 pounds without losing size and strength
The calculators are made to use by people that are overweight and in some cases obese.

It sounds to me like you already in good shape. If you think you need to lose weight you can do it by still restricting carbs and sticking to your plan. Just up the fat, that's the important part. Fats provide the energy you will not be getting from the carbs. You will also eliminate cravings this way.

All that said, it's entirely possible to still do the Keto if you are lifting. Just up the protein to 1.5 to 2g per pound of body weight. It won't be a true Keto but low carb which is good enough. You should not have blood sugar issues if you exercise on a regular basis.

A Comprehensive Guide to Bodybuilding on the Ketogenic Diet

Old 07-18-2018, 10:31 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,306 times
OP, good luck to you. I feel like I have tried them all, including the well known CICO. I wish I have known about the relationship between insulin and fat storage much sooner. It all makes sense now why everything else has failed. I have done keto and fasting, and this is the best way that has helped me lose weight and keep it off.

I've been doing it for a while now so I don't really record what I eat anymore. If I do, I still use MyFitnessPal.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:55 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^ This. It's hard to get the fat without the protein and I'm not just talking about animal products. You could buy a steak and trim the most of lean part off, I doubt anyone does that. Most people consume way more protein than they should on Keto thereby making it more like Atkins.
They have these snacks called Fat Bombs. Basically it's coconut oil melted down. Then you add whatever you like. I made some that were coconut oil, almond butter and unsweetened chocolate powder. Came out delicious. I'll add some stevia next time. I also made some that consisted of coconut oil, cream cheese and a little lemon juice.

You have to store them in the freezer of fridge, but they taste great and are pure fat to help keep the ketones kicking.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
They have these snacks called Fat Bombs. Basically it's coconut oil melted down. Then you add whatever you like. I made some that were coconut oil, almond butter and unsweetened chocolate powder. Came out delicious. I'll add some stevia next time. I also made some that consisted of coconut oil, cream cheese and a little lemon juice.

You have to store them in the freezer of fridge, but they taste great and are pure fat to help keep the ketones kicking.
Thanks, I like to make Keto cheesecake. Plenty of fat there. I then have it with some strawberries and I top it with nuts like almonds or flax which adds even more fat.

Another one I'd like to try is grain free granola. It contains things like almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut and pecans among others. Very nutrient dense and roasting it makes it even better.

I use pure organic stevia extract as my sweetener. Erythritol is another one that is popular, does not affect blood sugar at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss