Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 01:11 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
But IF is not low carb, high protein. High protein is the part that's off: keto is low carb/high fat.
That' right. Keto isn't high protein at all. It's considered moderate protein. And is not even related to IF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 01:59 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
I went only 10 to 12 hours, for a week. Awful. Stomach roared and cramped and I was grumpy. Wasn't for me.
Then went keto.
Two weeks no bread, sugar, etc. Then let up a bit.
I have had 31inch waist for a long time. It is down to 28-1/2. I was told by my friends I would not lose inches there since I am older.
They are trying keto now.
SunnySam - I can relate to your experience with KETO! Congratulations on sticking with it. Your reduced waist size will keep you much healthier. I want to be just like you when I grow up ... LOL!

Yes, KETO with Intermittent Fasting does work, especially for us older people, as SunnySam has testified with his significant 2-1/2 inch waist reduction. A good resource for all things KETO is Dr. Eric Berg, one of the most excellent and dedicated teachers on his 3,500 free YouTube videos and just under 300 million views (yes, that is correct, 300 million views)....so he does attract a lot of viewers. Dr. Berg also has patents on some of his info. He also admitted today that he pretty much spends his time behind his computer doing research and making his videos...and he does spend time working out every day. He's a big advocate of doing our exercise, which he has videos on. I've been listening to one of his YouTubes today with a doctor in Sweden, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt, who is also somewhat of an expert but nothing near what Dr. Berg is. Dr. Berg has been doing KETO and Intermittent Fasting for a long time, as has his wife, Karen. They do live videos on YouTube for Q&A almost every Friday. I use Dr. Berg b/c I want to avoid any pitfalls, and possibly damage my health. Just do a search for "Dr. Berg and KETO "on YouTube and you get a number of his videos...all free. His videos are not only KETO-related but he has holistic answers to many health problems on his video series. Check them out if this is of interest to you. This is man who has devoted the past - 30 years - to figuring out all of these weight loss issues...and practices it himself, along with his wife. He writes and studies constantly to perfect what he is teaching his followers. He reads our posts on YouTube and he makes a new video when followers questions start a trend.

Inserting this new info before my edit time expires: On Dr. Berg's YouTube video today with Dr. Eenfeldt from Sweden, they discuss healthy and unhealthy KETO. The KETO program Dr. Berg promotes is healthy KETO. What this means is that his program is based on only healthy, natural carbs...mixed greens, all kinds of vegetables (no carb-laden root veggies, etc.), a few berries, olives, avocado (really, a fat yet its a veggie), broccoli, cauliflower, celery, zuchini, etc. Coincidentally, all of the veggies I just listed also happed to be high in potassium. Imagine that! But no potatoes/sweet potatoes, starchy squash, etc.. We don't get our carbs from lattes, and adding small amounts bread, cake, pie, cookies, etc. ... even if we are able to add these foods and still stay within our daily carb count. I want to do a 'clean' KETO, because as I mention below, all it takes is 1 tsp. of sugar to dump us out of ketosis...and with that come cravings and being hungry. Then before you know it you're back in the saddle again...eating all those processed foods.

I've been on KETO since Dec. 21 - 13 days - today I'm down 6 pounds. I have a difficult time losing weight since I've abused my body with dieting for a long time. So 6 pounds is pretty darn good for me. I feel much better than I did pre-KETO because I was eating very poorly - lots of processed food in bags, boxes and packages. And lots of sugary Starbucks.

I'd been contemplating KETO for around 1-2 years. But hesitated b/c I've failed so many times because 1) I get what I call the crazy-hungries when I can't eat numerous snacks throughout the day to quell that ever-present hunger 2) I've failed at just about every diet, partly due to crazy hunger, even several times when I'd lost 25 pounds and spent 3-4 months losing that weight. 3) Embarrassingly, I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on weight loss in my 71 years. 4) I didn't want another failure. But all of a sudden this past month, I KNEW I could do it b/c I'd been studying my head off to see if I thought this might work for me. I KNEW it would b/c one of the advantages of KETO is that if you are doing it correctly, you don't get hungry unless you are truly hungry and your body needs healthy food. Usually the reason people get hungry is from being conservative about fat, b/c we've all been trained that FAT = VERY BAD. With KETO, we are now learning that we need to consume more <healthy> fat in order to be healthy.

My body was so glad when I began doing KETO. As soon as I went on KETO, I noticed I wasn't getting hungry, b/c I was very careful to eat ENOUGH FAT ... I usually have a HUGE problem with hunger now on any diet. Very frustrating. One of the ground rules for Intermittent Fasting is eat only when you're hungry. I didn't get hungry for over half a day/12 hours. So I knew something was working right. Now I eat around every 24 hours. Sometimes I can only go for about 15-20 hours, so I know i haven't been eating enough healthy fats - for example, avocados, salmon, nuts/nut butters, olives, high fat pastured meats. Yesterday, I went the full 24 hours and was getting a little hungry, went to grocery, and started getting really hungry. Understand that I am an older person, and don't do diets very well any more because of the extreme crazy hunger I get when on a diet...even a healthy diet. So what I'm sharing with you now is like a miracle.

Also for anyone who is white knuckling it because you must do without bread. There are ways to make bread KETO friendly by using almond flour to make a protein bread. If you look on any KETO website or book or YouTube there are numerous recipes for no flour breads...using almond flour. And they are delicious. Just wait until your weight loss is done and see how you feel then - your craving for bread may be gone b/c your body has adjusted. KETO is a lifestyle not something that we do to lose weight and then get off the wagon and back to our old sugary way of eating.

Highly recommend Dr. Berg. He is the Real Deal...and walks his talk. He is well known in a lot of circles. He just did a big presentation for the food industry...there were 400 of the best known food (worldwide) companies attending. The problem with the food companies is that they make processed food. For us to lose weight and keep it off, we need KETO, with healthy fats, low carb, moderate pasture raised protein --- not on processed food. I think it's so ironic that our society today lives off of processed food. And we can't understand why we have weight problems ??

Processed food is known for keeping our blood sugar high. When we have high blood sugar - and I'm not talking about only for diabetics, because many people have high blood sugar and aren't aware of it. Anyway, when we have high blood sugar it is a guarantee that we are gaining weight during that time. Remember: snacking constantly does raise blood sugar unneccesarily...and then our weight goes on the upswing. The insulin that is released while our blood sugar is higher - from snacking - causes us to gain weight. Again, this is from what I've gleaned by studying KETO, mostly Dr. Berg these days because he is among the very best, IMHO. BTW, I don't profit off of anything to do with Dr. Berg. I just pay attention and he grabbed my attention b/c his work is so well researched. Because I've been on diets my entire life, I've done a large amount of research on weight loss methodology.

Did you know all it takes to take us out of fat burning mode, or ketosis, just one teaspoon of sugar? Did you know that the sugary foods we eat probably have at least 10x that much sugar in them - sugary lattes from Starbucks, gooey desserts and pastries from home or a restaurant. Later on, we can makes some substitute desserts that are KETO friendly and that don't have sugar. I know I won't want those "new desserts" b/c what I want now is HEALTH more than anything. I want to make sure that I stay healthy.

If some of you are sad about not being able to drink OJ on KETO ... here is a good fix. We can get HIGH amounts of vitamin C from sauerkraut!! which has enough Vitamin C to meet our Vit C needs for the entire week! You'll need to read the label b/c I can't find how much sauerkraut we need, but think it's one cup.

Intermittent fasting assists us with better weight loss and better health. When we snack and we are either hungry or not hungry, we release more insulin. Even though we feel hungry, that insulin release will be causing a weight gain. It is better to eat only when hungry, and to eat only 3 meals, or less per day. If we eat a proper ratio of moderate protein-veggie carbs-and healthy fats we can shut off any unnecessary insulin releases that contribute to weight gain, and natural decline in our health. So on intermittent fasting, we eat only meals, NO SNACKS, and we eat only when hungry.

Intermittent Fasting makes it a bit tricky - because there isn't much public awareness about it. Here's where we need to be open-minded and go into LEARNing mode. When you are someone who can't seem to lose weight, you can move into KETO and Intermittment Fasting, and it's almost guaranteed that you will see the scale start to go down. IF works even on people like me, whose metabolisms are "broken". And we'll feel much better, too. If you watch Dr. Berg's videos, you will understand how all of this works to make you healthier and slim down. And how to deal with any side effects right away.

BTW, Dr. Berg's KETO protein recommendation is from 3 to 6 ounces daily. KETO is not based on "unlimited" protein. Too much protein - which causes more insulin to enter the blood stream - will also hinder our weight loss efforts b/c too much protein causes us to release excess insulin.

The reason older people can benefit from the fasting is because during the fast, in a way, we are taking advantage of all of the times we are not eating the other 2 meals and the probably 3-4-5-6-7 snacks a day. Let's say this is up to 9 times that we are avoiding an extra insulin release for all 9 of those times - which equals too much insulin and the corresponding weight gain from 9 extra insulin releases throughout the day. This is what can cause people to gain weight quickly, and to stay at a much higher weight than they would like, or that is health. Those meals and snacks that we miss while fasting mean that each one of those eating times we would have been releasing more insulin...and when we miss all those insulin releases, we will be losing more of our excess weight. Okay...I know, I know this is the science you really didn't want to know. If you are having a difficult time losing weight, and / or are in poor health, this is the stuff all of us chronic chubbies need to start paying attention to. Remember, when we release insulin, we set ourselves up for weight gain, and a host of bad health issues. This paragraph is my own explanation after reading about this issue and watching the videos.

If you feel hungry even after eating, and can't make it to the next meal without being crazy-hungry, this is a symptom that you are releasing too much insulin. Too much insulin causes all kinds of health problems. Serious ones. The excess insulin makes us hungry quickly, and causes weight gain. A KETO lifestyle can correct this imbalance in our body and slim us down, and make us healthy again. He stresses not to be too upset if you don't lose weight right away b/c our first goal is to get healthy. When our body knows it is becoming healthier, we will start losing the weight. SunnySam experienced this when he first started KETO. Dr. Berg is not the ONLY one to advocate this way of eating. But he is an excellent teacher and constantly releases more informational videos that address people's questions and new information on nutrition. There are many other docs who are waking up and using KETO not only for weight loss, but also to cure health problems such as heart, arthritis, stroke, vision, you name it. There is even talk that it is a good antidote to cancer.

KETO was the way the cavemen ate...all * natural * food * just the way it's made in nature.

Last edited by 'M'; 01-03-2019 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 03:43 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
Techeeee - I'll be the YouTube video was by Dr. Eric Berg, who has 3,500 videos on his YouTube channel. Think I saw it a while back. He goes into great detail about it.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
BTW, Dr. Berg's KETO protein recommendation is from 3 to 6 ounces daily. KETO is not based on "unlimited" protein. Too much protein - which causes more insulin to enter the blood stream - will also hinder our weight loss efforts b/c too much protein causes us to release excess insulin.
Just a clarification, the 3 to 6 ounces of protein is for the entire piece, not "Net" protein.

3oz (85g) of beef actually contains 22g of protein. A very "petite" steak would be about 3oz, not enough for me, but I'm 6'3" and weigh 240lbs. If it's a fatty piece of meat even better. I do admit, it takes time to get away from the "low fat" mentality, something I had been taught from an early age. I don't shy away from the fat anymore. I buy full-fat everything, even stuff like yogurt and mozzarella cheese. It's harder to find than the low-fat products. There is at least one downside to the dairy and that is the hormones that the milk may contain, so I buy the organic when I can. Dairy also has its fair share of protein.

I also don't do a very strict keto anymore. I eat onions, carrots, sometimes beans and certain fruits. I am a diabetic and my focus is on controlling blood sugar, these foods do not make me spike.

Last edited by gguerra; 01-04-2019 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 08:28 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Just a clarification, the 3 to 6 ounces of protein is for the entire piece, not "Net" protein.

3oz (85g) of beef actually contains 22g of protein. A very "petite" steak would be about 3oz, not enough for me, but I'm 6'3" and weigh 240lbs.
If you can add intermittent fasting to Keto, you can stop counting calories. I used to eat two meals a day, and now I’ve been eating one meal a day for almost 5 months. I never count calories, I always eat until I’m full, and I never feel hungry between meals. It takes some time for your body to adjust to intermittent fasting, gradually over a couple months.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:35 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If you can add intermittent fasting to Keto, you can stop counting calories. I used to eat two meals a day, and now I’ve been eating one meal a day for almost 5 months. I never count calories, I always eat until I’m full, and I never feel hungry between meals. It takes some time for your body to adjust to intermittent fasting, gradually over a couple months.
I've never actually counted a single calorie since I've been doing LCHF/Keto. I also do "Lazy" keto and never tracked macros or tested for ketones or anything like that. I lost 50 lbs this way. I'm not in it for weight loss anymore, I just feel better and my labs come back so much better. When I DID count calories I had no success at all, much like many others, I am sure.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I've never actually counted a single calorie since I've been doing LCHF/Keto. I also do "Lazy" keto and never tracked macros or tested for ketones or anything like that. I lost 50 lbs this way. I'm not in it for weight loss anymore, I just feel better and my labs come back so much better. When I DID count calories I had no success at all, much like many others, I am sure.
That's great that you lost 50 pounds! When I ate two meals a day, I also lost a lot of weight. However, I had a lot of loose skin. Switching to one meal a day got rid of the loose skin and improved the skin quality. Many people have noticed my skin improvement. The loose skin made me look ten years older than I was. The elimination of the loose skin and the improved skin quality makes me look younger than my age. A huge improvement!

I also lost a lot of weight three times in my life, about 75 pounds each time counting calories and doing restricted calorie diets. Over the longer term, each time I did a restricted calorie diet, the hunger was so bad that I abandoned the diet, regained all the weight I lost, plus more weight.

Eating Keto and OMAD is so easy to do, and I think I can keep the weight off long term. It also saves money on the food budget, which is an added bonus!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,398 times
Sorry if this was already stated somewhere back, but when people eat one or two meals a day, how many total calories for that day or do you not count?

Old 01-04-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Sorry if this was already stated somewhere back, but when people eat one or two meals a day, how many total calories for that day or do you not count?
I used to eat two meals a day, and now I've been eating one meal a day. I don't count calories at all. Counting calories is totally unnecessary.

Dr Ken D Berry has a lot of videos about how to lose weight with Keto and intermittent fasting, and has a lot of videos about the good foods to eat and the really bad foods that you shouldn't be eating. Here's one Dr Ken D Berry's videos called Counting Calories is Stupid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMzLXGKNaVg&t=72s

Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I used to eat two meals a day, and now I've been eating one meal a day. I don't count calories at all. Counting calories is totally unnecessary.

Dr Ken D Berry has a lot of videos about how to lose weight with Keto and intermittent fasting, and has a lot of videos about the good foods to eat and the really bad foods that you shouldn't be eating. Here's one Dr Ken D Berry's videos called Counting Calories is Stupid!
Thanks, I'll check out those resources. I can't quite determine how much I should eat as I have to be careful not to overeat as I'm in the habit of doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss