Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:41 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times

Advertisements

There is one simple fault with intermittent fasting.
If you embark on a time-limited diet involving fasting you will lose weight.
But fasting is not a viable long-term way of losing weight.
Say you lose a ton of weight by following the eating regime of someone in a Japanese prisoner of war camp.At the end of that diet you look slimmer and feel fantastic.
But a month later you'll be like those POWs.
You'll think why would I carry on starving myself when all this nice food is freely available.
And then you'll put the weight back on.
There is only one way to lose weight permanently for the rest of your life. DO NOT GO ON A DIET.
You need to construct a way of consuming the right amount of good food,with the occasional pig-out of rubbish,that you can follow for the rest of your life.
Because here's the deal.
99.9% of people who lose lots of weight in a short amount of time put it all back on again.
Seriously.
They all do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 03:00 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
I think the title of the thread "Intermittent fasting diet" is misleading because IF isn't a diet. It's an eating plan. Fasting has been around for thousands of years so it's not new but the confusion about it is that a lot of misinformed people think it's calorie restricted. It isn't. During the window of eating, a person can eat their normal intake of food to where they are completely satisfied. Then, during fasting, the body has the opportunity to utilize the calories but also empty the stomach and quiet the digestive process. It allows the pancreas and liver time to rest from releasing insulin and glucose into the system. This is why many people who struggle with elevated glucose levels (and aren't on insulin injections) find their glucose levels begin to decrease over time. Thus, delaying or reversing the prospect of becoming diabetic.

The side effect (if you want to call it that) is that a person's weight may, and probably will decrease. Especially, if that person is overweight to begin with. Not a speedy loss but a consistent one that is considered healthy. The body has an amazing way of normalizing when you treat it well and stop loading it with unhealthy processed foods combined with giving the digestive tract time to rest between meals.

My late father used to fast. He never did it for more than a 24-hour time frame as he didn't do it to lose weight. He maintained a lifelong weight of five pounds up or down and lived well into his 90's. He wasn't a big advocate of dairy, either. He said that "man" was the only mammal on earth that continued to drink milk after being weaned off in infancy. Now I don't know if any of that makes any difference but his fasting lifestyle proved very beneficial to him. I've since adopted that way of life and can report that inflammation is down in my body. My arthritis pain is gone, I have no digestive issues any longer, either. I'm in my mid 60s and am feeling much better than I did just ten years ago.

So don't think of fasting as a diet because it's not. And if anyone isn't sure what it does, research it. Find out what happens to the body when you fast. And mostly, don't focuse on it as a way to lose weight. Look beyond that and find out what happens to the inside of your body, not just the outside. That's really what's more important. I mean really, who cares what you look like on the outside when the inside of your body is a mess? My two cents.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:04 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
There is one simple fault with intermittent fasting.
If you embark on a time-limited diet involving fasting you will lose weight.
But fasting is not a viable long-term way of losing weight.
Say you lose a ton of weight by following the eating regime of someone in a Japanese prisoner of war camp.At the end of that diet you look slimmer and feel fantastic.
But a month later you'll be like those POWs.

You'll think why would I carry on starving myself when all this nice food is freely available.
And then you'll put the weight back on.
There is only one way to lose weight permanently for the rest of your life. DO NOT GO ON A DIET.
You need to construct a way of consuming the right amount of good food,with the occasional pig-out of rubbish,that you can follow for the rest of your life.
Because here's the deal.
99.9% of people who lose lots of weight in a short amount of time put it all back on again.
Seriously.
They all do.
Talk about hyperbole. Big difference between POWs that are being starved and malnourished intentionally and some one fasting to lose weight.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Talk about hyperbole. Big difference between POWs that are being starved and malnourished intentionally and some one fasting to lose weight.
You're right. There are a lot of people out there who think fasting means starvation. I've even read articles with the heading entitled Fasting = Starvation. It's simply not true.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:11 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You're right. There are a lot of people out there who think fasting means starvation. I've even read articles with the heading entitled Fasting = Starvation. It's simply not true.
I also think that OMAD isn't a particularly difficult lifestyle to maintain.
Some people have a really hard time sticking to low carb diets. I don't.
I've been low carb for many years... a compliant diabetic doesn't really have much choice.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I also think that OMAD isn't a particularly difficult lifestyle to maintain.
Some people have a really hard time sticking to low carb diets. I don't.
I've been low carb for many years... a compliant diabetic doesn't really have much choice.
OMAD is great for those who like eating that way. I like food so I eat during my intake window. Those who have trouble with low carb are the ones who can't (or won't) give up bread, pasta, rice, sugar, flour which equates to cookies, candy, chips, sandwiches like hamburgers, certain starchy vegetables and the like. Today, it's much easier to eat low carb and still enjoy many of those things by exchanging/substituting ingredients. Great time we live in, right?

Old 01-18-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
sandwiches like hamburgers
I eat hamburgers.
Four quarter pounders with cheese or a Steak n Shake 7x7... no buns!

Old 01-18-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I eat hamburgers.
Four quarter pounders with cheese or a Steak n Shake 7x7... no buns!
I eat hamburger, too and chicken, fish, pork and other cuts of beef. You're nit picking. You knew what I meant when I said "sandwiches." Typically, burgers are served between two buns but now you can serve them between lettuce or just eat the plain patty.

Last edited by JGC97; 01-18-2019 at 07:59 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I eat hamburger, too and chicken, fish, pork and other cuts of beef. You're nit picking. You knew what I meant when I said "sandwiches." Typically, burgers are served between two buns but now you can serve them between lettuce or just eat the plain patty.
I ate a sandwich yesterday.
Low carb bread, big pile of ham, turkey & chicken and two pieces of cheese.
About 15 carbs in the whole thing.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I ate a sandwich yesterday.
Low carb bread, big pile of ham, turkey & chicken and two pieces of cheese.
About 15 carbs in the whole thing.
You're explaining what I said in the previous post about using different ingredients to make baked goods low carb. Why? You're eating low carb and that's good. We're discussing intermittent fasting, though. Not low carb / keto eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss