Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 11:01 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,272,265 times

Advertisements

Low carb diets are easy to prepare.
It can be as simple as meat, veggies (green beans, broccoli, cauliflower or asparagus) and salad. Eggs and microwave bacon, too.
You should take a multivitamin on a low carb diet.

It would be quite a change for someone who eats convenience store and fast food.
I have tips on how to eat fast food on a low carb diet as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 01:45 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,604,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Low carb diets are easy to prepare.
It can be as simple as meat, veggies (green beans, broccoli, cauliflower or asparagus) and salad. Eggs and microwave bacon, too.
You should take a multivitamin on a low carb diet.

It would be quite a change for someone who eats convenience store and fast food.
I have tips on how to eat fast food on a low carb diet as well.
Those tips would be a good start. I tried for a while drinking a lot of water to curb my appetite, but have backslid into getting an oversized fast food meal right before bed, feasting, then sleeping. If you have tips for eating well with fast food (which I do 5 days a week for 1-2 of my daily meals), I could do some easy cooking the other 2 days.

I think my relative isolation got me here. I was already exhausted for some unknown reason, then my grandmother died and I started binge eating fast food and eventually got so tired I can barely do anything.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:49 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Those tips would be a good start. I tried for a while drinking a lot of water to curb my appetite, but have backslid into getting an oversized fast food meal right before bed, feasting, then sleeping. If you have tips for eating well with fast food (which I do 5 days a week for 1-2 of my daily meals), I could do some easy cooking the other 2 days.

I think my relative isolation got me here. I was already exhausted for some unknown reason, then my grandmother died and I started binge eating fast food and eventually got so tired I can barely do anything.
Why do you have to eat fast food? There are no healthy options, especially if you eat it is often as you say you do.
I think you will need a different mind set if you are going to be successful. First is the realization that you cannot be healthy eating fast food as much as you do.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
If you have tips for eating well with fast food (which I do 5 days a week for 1-2 of my daily meals), I could do some easy cooking the other 2 days.
You have to cut way back on that.
Even though it can be low carb, fast food still has a lot of calories.
I do some fast food, but not that often considering I'm fasting with only 600 calories 3 days a week.

Here's the thread that describes how to do low carb fast food.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...ht-loss-3.html

Really, how hard is it to cook a pork chop, open a can of green beans and put some bag salad in a bowl?
I usually do a whole package of pork chops at once, eat some and bag up the rest for dinner or lunch later.
That's all you have to do. Another thing you can do is buy a rotisserie chicken in the grocery store. They're good!

I eat a lot of hard boiled eggs, by themselves and in salads.
Also, fried eggs (use butter, not margerine) and microwave bacon. Bacon tastes good.

Learn what has carbs and avoid them.
There is low carb bread here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...out-bread.html
Pasta is right out!

IMO, there are limits to how much you can lose just by going low carb.
I lost 25 lbs and then stalled. Then calories must be reduced, in my case by intermittent fasting.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-24-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 02:01 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
Quote:

I urge you to go into the grocery store and see what you can get in there that is prepared. You will be surprised. You can get a premade salad with all the fixings in the bag, precooked meat- all you need to do is mix the two together and voila- salad! They usually are good for about 2-3 servings in a package. They usually have premade sandwiches, veggies that you can actually just stick in the microwave to steam them, etc. Depending on what your local options are, you might have lots of other premade stuff.

In my area, we have one grocery that literally has lazy people premade $4.99 meals that you can even split into two small meals. They are basically a protein with some veggies- very healthy and comparably priced to fast food. I know you are in a Kroger area and they can vary, but I have seen some Krogers with very nice delis.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I urge you to go into the grocery store and see what you can get in there that is prepared. You will be surprised.
So true. I hardly ever "make" anything.
Crustless pizza is the exception. I take the time to make it right because it's so good.
I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with my crustless pizza against any pizzeria's crustless pizza.

I have 3/4's of a pizza, but I have to put it in the freezer because I'm not planning on eating for 6 days after tommorow.
But I'll have it not long after New Year's.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:44 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,006,339 times
Floating in the pool is not "swimming." It is floating.

Trust me, if you are really swimming, as in swimming laps, you will feel it-- all over your body, but especially in your arms and shoulders. And yes, you will be out of breath.

I've not read your other posts to know what your health situation might be, but I agree that you need to see a doctor. Being this tired is not normal, and maybe your doctor could also give you some ideas to avoid injury or suggest you talk to a physiotherapist about same, because i also agree you should not be injured from just walking and there may be something in your warmup, technique, posture, etc. that may be contributing.

I like the idea others have suggested of cooking in large amounts, if you don't mind leftovers (I don't; I'm happy making a large portion of something and eating it for days, but I know some people can't stand it). I understand being too tired to do much cooking (my mother had many chronic illnesses and was the same), but it's better to find ways to make cooking easier, rather than eating fast food. For example, stir-frying in a wok is pretty fast because you don't have to cook the vegetables super-thoroughly (you're not meant to), and if you have a rice cooker, toss in some brown rice (which is lower-glycemic) and forget about it until it goes "beep." I like to make what I call "stuff in a tortilla" (because it's not any sort of "proper" Mexican dish) which involves anything I think goes-- beans, vegetables, salsa, cheese, avocado, olives, peppers, etc. This is quick and easy to put together, especially if you are using canned beans, frozen vegetables, etc. When my mom was sick and we were both tired, I bought a rotisserie chicken and sliced pieces off to make sandwiches for her and it lasted days; this was quick and easy and I'm sure I could have come up with things to do with it besides sandwiches (though I admit may not have been the best idea, nutritionally, as I'm sure it was chock-full of salt, but still a better option for you than most fast food out there, I bet, and if you have to start small with stuff that may not be entirely *good* but is *better* than what you're currently doing, that's okay, IMO).

Sandwiches are often nice and fast, if you can find some nice and easy things to put on them that makes throwing them together a quick affair.

With a little creativity, you can come up with some ways to "work smarter, not harder" on food preparation, and this should make it a bit easier on you and your nutrition both.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:01 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,681,741 times
OP, to me it sounds as if you may very well be depressed, hence the tiredness and binge eating after your grandmother's death.

There are lots of good suggestions here, but one thing I'd like to point out is that for someone who doesn't cook and *might* be fairly depressed, just trying to manage shopping and cooking can be overwhelming.

I will tell you that you can lose weight using fast food. Take baby steps to get there. All of the fast food places have healthier options. It is very hard to go from a steady diet of fast food to eating "healthy" because fast food has a lot of sodium and added flavorings which have totally changed the way you taste food. I guarantee you that, right now, home made chicken breast, veggies, etc. are probably going to taste awful to you and if you can't cook well, even worse. But you do have to start somewhere and you do need to make the change somehow and that includes a period where you may feel uncomfortable and unsatisfied.

Start out trying to go to Wendy's. Get a meal of a baked potato, a normal amount of butter, and a cup of their Turkey Chili. It will taste good. Might leave you hungry but going from supersize to normal portions can feel that way. Taco Bell has a lot of al fresco options that have manageable calories and will give you the flavor you need. You can even do well at places like Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A.

Once you get that down, try entering a grocery store. Buy a rotisserie chicken and a bagged salad that comes with the dressing and some crunchy toppings. You get the drift.

As far as injuring yourself when you exercise, this comes from being very sedentary and you could just have a propensity to hurt yourself. I have very "lax" joints/tendons. Was born this way. I can pull out the tendons of my inner elbows just from carrying too many bags shopping. I can take a walk and my shins or knees hurt for a few days. This didn't happen in my 20s-30s, but now that I in my 50s and have a desk job it happens ALL THE TIME. But stopping is not the answer. Once these holidays are over I'm getting "back on my wagon" and trying to get my body in shape. Very, very slowly.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:27 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,604,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Floating in the pool is not "swimming." It is floating.

Trust me, if you are really swimming, as in swimming laps, you will feel it-- all over your body, but especially in your arms and shoulders. And yes, you will be out of breath.

I've not read your other posts to know what your health situation might be, but I agree that you need to see a doctor. Being this tired is not normal, and maybe your doctor could also give you some ideas to avoid injury or suggest you talk to a physiotherapist about same, because i also agree you should not be injured from just walking and there may be something in your warmup, technique, posture, etc. that may be contributing.

I like the idea others have suggested of cooking in large amounts, if you don't mind leftovers (I don't; I'm happy making a large portion of something and eating it for days, but I know some people can't stand it). I understand being too tired to do much cooking (my mother had many chronic illnesses and was the same), but it's better to find ways to make cooking easier, rather than eating fast food. For example, stir-frying in a wok is pretty fast because you don't have to cook the vegetables super-thoroughly (you're not meant to), and if you have a rice cooker, toss in some brown rice (which is lower-glycemic) and forget about it until it goes "beep." I like to make what I call "stuff in a tortilla" (because it's not any sort of "proper" Mexican dish) which involves anything I think goes-- beans, vegetables, salsa, cheese, avocado, olives, peppers, etc. This is quick and easy to put together, especially if you are using canned beans, frozen vegetables, etc. When my mom was sick and we were both tired, I bought a rotisserie chicken and sliced pieces off to make sandwiches for her and it lasted days; this was quick and easy and I'm sure I could have come up with things to do with it besides sandwiches (though I admit may not have been the best idea, nutritionally, as I'm sure it was chock-full of salt, but still a better option for you than most fast food out there, I bet, and if you have to start small with stuff that may not be entirely *good* but is *better* than what you're currently doing, that's okay, IMO).

Sandwiches are often nice and fast, if you can find some nice and easy things to put on them that makes throwing them together a quick affair.

With a little creativity, you can come up with some ways to "work smarter, not harder" on food preparation, and this should make it a bit easier on you and your nutrition both.
I’m 22, but I started having the start of my issues at age 7. Everything has just gotten gradually worse over the years. It started getting really bad really quickly about 2 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
OP, to me it sounds as if you may very well be depressed, hence the tiredness and binge eating after your grandmother's death.

There are lots of good suggestions here, but one thing I'd like to point out is that for someone who doesn't cook and *might* be fairly depressed, just trying to manage shopping and cooking can be overwhelming.

I will tell you that you can lose weight using fast food. Take baby steps to get there. All of the fast food places have healthier options. It is very hard to go from a steady diet of fast food to eating "healthy" because fast food has a lot of sodium and added flavorings which have totally changed the way you taste food. I guarantee you that, right now, home made chicken breast, veggies, etc. are probably going to taste awful to you and if you can't cook well, even worse. But you do have to start somewhere and you do need to make the change somehow and that includes a period where you may feel uncomfortable and unsatisfied.

Start out trying to go to Wendy's. Get a meal of a baked potato, a normal amount of butter, and a cup of their Turkey Chili. It will taste good. Might leave you hungry but going from supersize to normal portions can feel that way. Taco Bell has a lot of al fresco options that have manageable calories and will give you the flavor you need. You can even do well at places like Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A.

Once you get that down, try entering a grocery store. Buy a rotisserie chicken and a bagged salad that comes with the dressing and some crunchy toppings. You get the drift.

As far as injuring yourself when you exercise, this comes from being very sedentary and you could just have a propensity to hurt yourself. I have very "lax" joints/tendons. Was born this way. I can pull out the tendons of my inner elbows just from carrying too many bags shopping. I can take a walk and my shins or knees hurt for a few days. This didn't happen in my 20s-30s, but now that I in my 50s and have a desk job it happens ALL THE TIME. But stopping is not the answer. Once these holidays are over I'm getting "back on my wagon" and trying to get my body in shape. Very, very slowly.
Its so bad with me that I’ll start a load of clothes and leave them in the washer till they mold because I can’t get up.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:39 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,681,741 times
Quote:
I’m 22, but I started having the start of my issues at age 7. Everything has just gotten gradually worse over the years. It started getting really bad really quickly about 2 years ago.

Its so bad with me that I’ll start a load of clothes and leave them in the washer till they mold because I can’t get up.
I wonder if you have some muscular or arthritic disorder. Maybe fibromyalgia or rhematoid arthritis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss