Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:12 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,605,086 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I wonder how I’m ever going to get any exercise since I injure myself and am always tired. It takes me weeks to work up the motivation to walk or do something since I don’t have the energy to get out of bed except to get to work and get back so I can sleep, and then when I finally do walk or do any kind of fitness thing to maybe feel less gross and less like I’m dying—I get shin splints or some other impact-related injury. The only exercise I’ve been told is low impact is swimming, but floating in the pool has never seemed like very strenous exercise. Firstly, swimming doesn’t hurt and exercise is supposed to hurt—I don’t even feel out of breath in the water just floating there. Secondly, while I am in a subtropical region of the world, there is a portion of the year its too cold to swim. Thirdly, I’m so low energy it feels like a minor miracle to even make it to work and back. I sleep the other 12 hours of the day I don’t devote to work, and that sleep doesn’t feel restful.

Is there anything besides swimming that I can do that doesn’t injure me and that I can start relatively small with? I get that exercise is supposed to be self-punishment, but I’m so lethargic that I need to do something to boost my energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 04:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,918,238 times
Water aerobics is often suggested as a good way to start exercising. It's not swimming, but a group aerobics class held in the water with the water buoying people up, so it's easier on the joints and there's no injury.

Most YM/YWCA's offer these classes and if you qualify for Silver Sneakers, it's free. See:

https://www.silversneakers.com

A lot of people succeed in their fitness goals by starting in this way.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:32 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,276,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Water aerobics is often suggested as a good way to start exercising. It's not swimming, but a group aerobics class held in the water with the water buoying people up, so it's easier on the joints and there's no injury.

Most YM/YWCA's offer these classes and if you qualify for Silver Sneakers, it's free.
This!!
Group Exercise in the pool at the Y.
I don't know how anyone could get hurt doing Silver Sneakers.
They also have something called Gentle Yoga.

As for getting hurt, it's happened to me.
Tried Les Mills Tone and they did so damn many squats that I hurt my back.
Then the bands gave me tendonitis in my left elbow, aggravating an old bowling injury.
I might give it another try after I get skinny.
But I don't know about those bands.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:37 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,811,026 times
OP: What is your low energy a result of? What have you done to try to change things? Work with supplements for more energy? Potassium is low in many and that will cause fatigue. Many things actually.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:09 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,506,703 times
You shouldn’t be getting that hurt from walking. I would check your sneakers that they have proper support and make sure you stretch well before walking. Start small, ten minutes a day.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:25 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,836,631 times
See your doctor before starting any program. Your low energy could be thyroid or anemia, or some other issue.
What is your diet like? Diet is so important when it comes to feeling good and having energy.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:33 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,605,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
See your doctor before starting any program. Your low energy could be thyroid or anemia, or some other issue.
What is your diet like? Diet is so important when it comes to feeling good and having energy.
I just grab what I can from convenience stores and drive thrus. By the time I do what I need to for work, I’m too tired to cook.

I’m going to get my thyroid tested on the 15th.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,707,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I just grab what I can from convenience stores and drive thrus. By the time I do what I need to for work, I’m too tired to cook.

If you aren’t eating a balanced diet, it sounds like you might very well be vitamin deficient. There are a lot of places that have good/great deli areas with premade foods that are still rich in vitamins. For example, it is easy to buy a salad mix and add in some premade chicken and some other toppings and you can have a meal that has a lot of vitamins there. It will literally take 5 minutes to put a wrap or salad together. Microwave meals have also gotten a lot better and there are many that are pretty balanced now in terms of having a lot of veggies, fiber, etc. You should absolutely get tested for vitamin deficiency if the thyroid is fine, but either way work on getting a more balanced diet.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,327,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

Most YM/YWCA's offer these classes and if you qualify for Silver Sneakers, it's free. See:

https://www.silversneakers.com

A lot of people succeed in their fitness goals by starting in this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
This!!
Group Exercise in the pool at the Y.
I don't know how anyone could get hurt doing Silver Sneakers.
They also have something called Gentle Yoga.

As for getting hurt, it's happened to me.
Tried Les Mills Tone and they did so damn many squats that I hurt my back.
Then the bands gave me tendonitis in my left elbow, aggravating an old bowling injury.
I might give it another try after I get skinny.
But I don't know about those bands.
Yes and yes! I have been doing water aerobics for years...so long in fact that I don't need to pay for a class...I just go during open swim and do the exercises on my own. One will not believe how strong their body (all of it, especially your core) will become over a relatively short time. Of course you will have to commit yourself to doing so and not fall into the mentality that once you tire or get bored of doing the water aerobics you can maintain that without regular attendance, either in a class or on your own.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:24 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,836,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post

I can say pretty confidently that your diet is making you feel sluggish. If you have a thyroid issue then that is also contributing. But thyroid issues can be easily managed. I have Hashimoto's and it has never slowed me down or impaired me in any way. If you want to be healthy and exercise you need to start with your diet. You will need to make the time to shop and cook. It sounds to me like you will need to make some sacrifices and do a complete turn around. The real question is are you willing to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss