Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,927,891 times

Advertisements

News program this morning listed the most popular diets for the new year, include ketogenic, Intermittent Fasting and vegan. Vegan is really as much a life philosophy as a diet. Article:

The year of the vegan
Where millennials lead, businesses and governments will follow
John Parker, correspondent "The Economist"
https://worldin2019.economist.com/th...JkjDbmJ-jr2ymQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 11:52 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,295,798 times
Happy 3-Day Anniversary!
Halfway home...

Old 12-28-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Happy 3-Day Anniversary!
Halfway home...
Oh, thanks! I feel great.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:28 PM

I just blew past my 3-day anniversary as well.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I just blew past my 3-day anniversary as well.

At the 48 hour mark I felt kind of weird but I'm fine now and down 2 lbs.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
At the 48 hour mark I felt kind of weird but I'm fine now and down 2 lbs.
That's awesome... at this rate you're going to achieve 1/3 ot more of your weight loss goal in just one week.
I'm losing faster, but that's because only I've got a lot more flab to lose.

Another blood sugar measurement... 134.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-28-2018 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
That's awesome... at this rate you're going to achieve 1/3 ot more of your weight loss goal in just one week.
I'm losing faster, but that's because only I've got a lot more flab to lose.

Another blood sugar measurement... 134.
I don't have the blood sugar issue, but we both had cancer. I'm mainly wanting the benefits of autophagy which include:

1. Prolongation of life
2. Weight loss
3. Reduction of the likelihood of Parkinson's, Huntington's, dementia and cancer
4. Destruction of bacteria and viruses after an infection
5. Rids the body of damaged proteins and organelles, counteracting the negative effects of ageing
6. Protects against excessive inflammation
7. Reduces fine lines, changes blood pressure and improves lean muscle mass

#1 would be great, and then #3-7, especially #5.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 12-28-2018 at 08:02 PM..

Old 12-29-2018, 05:02 AM

19,976 posts, read 30,338,307 times
my 2019 "diet" way of life will be a continuation of the keto diet

low/no sugar n carbs

sugars are the real food demon not meat not fats..
ive been on this way of eating for over 6 months and its the best way of life ive ever followed
I can eat my favorite foods steak to lobsters to pork ribs ..

im 53 and never felt better …. bloodwork is great - can still bench over 300lbs on no medications and plenty of energy
my cholesterol is fine - dr. asked "what are you doin" I told him ive cut down/out on sugars/carbs and eat plenty of proteins and fats... he said keep doing what im doing... he's nearly grass fed and said he'd love to have my bloodwork results .

to me …. the u.s. has never been so obese and we've been pushing lean and low fat for 40 yrs....the food pyramid should be turned upside down ..

if I made a facebook blast im on an all ice cream diet - everyone would we sending me their favorite flavors...but mention im eating more meats and fats and everyone is a food expert … how dangerous it is

watch "the magic pill" on Netflix its an eye opener

if you really don't know about the keto diet or throw rocks of how dangerous it is watch the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx90OLMmOng

Old 12-29-2018, 10:23 AM

19,292 posts, read 16,821,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
to me …. the u.s. has never been so obese and we've been pushing lean and low fat for 40 yrs....the food pyramid should be turned upside down ..
I agree. I was a sucker for the old low fat, high carb way of eating after listening to these so-called experts for over 40 years. It didn't make me any healthier and as I aged, it made me sicker. It's only been after eliminating corn, grains, potatoes, root vegetables, sugar (which I gave up a over two years ago), did I start to see results. It's a complete opposite of the way I ate before. The other thing is fasting. It works. Giving the body time to stop trying to digest food every few hours is the best thing a person can do for their liver, gall bladder and pancreas.

Yet, there will always be the next best thing when it comes to diets because inventing one is the only way to sell books. Even the ADA (American Diabetes Association) has reversed its claim that that the only healthy way to eat is low fat, high carb. That's huge! When the ADA actually acknowledges that eating low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet works for lowering blood glucose, people should take notice.

The only way to prove it is to try it. See how it works for your own body. Not just weight loss but what is happening on the inside of the body. Check blood work. Glucose, lipid panel, A1C, CRP (C Reactive Protein). These tests will give the best information as to how well the body is doing eating the foods you eat.

Since I've been eating very low carb (not Keto) and doing IF, I've all but eliminated the arthritic pain I was experiencing. I no longer feel like old age is going to be years of pain in my joints. While I might not be able to climb Mt. Everest, at least I can stay active enough to clean my own rain gutters and mow the lawn myself.

I'd like to thank those who posted various threads about this topic. Admittedly, I didn't know anything about IF before reading comments here but after doing my own research and reading Jason Fung's books, watching his videos and listening to his podcasts, I've learned a great deal about it and have changed my mind completely about what I eat and how often. I normally fast now for 16 hours but there are days when it might be 18 to 20, depending on if I have things to do and don't eat before leaving the house. It really works. I don't get light headed, weak or feel sick in any way. Again, everything opposite of what I was told by experts that I would feel, if I didn't eat every four hours.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:20 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
Well I don’t follow a low carb high fat diet and my numbers are all great. My total cholesterol is 126, glucose is 85, good cholesterol is great too. A1c is 5.3. I eat every 2-3 hours too. Rarely get sick but I attribute that to a combination of diet and exercise. I take blood pressure meds because I am hypertensive (extra weight didn’t help my congenital problem) but my arthritis pain has largely gone away when the lbs came off.

The best diet is the one that you can live with and follow for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss