Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times

Advertisements

I eat a high carb diet with 10 to 12 daily servings of vegetables including lots of raw vegetable along with cooked. I eat beans, whole grains like quinoa, buckwheat and oats....I rarely eat rice. I eat little bread and do watch my fruit intake, avoiding those fruits that are high on the glycemic index and I dont eat baked goods or sweets.I eat no added oil. So I eat a healthy high carb diet and I am thin and healthy except for having Celiac disease. I am also vegan...so no animal products.....I totally understand eliminating simple carbs but limiting vegetables? Just doesn't make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I eat lower carb - lots of nutrient dense veggies. I strictly limit grains, starchy vegetables (like potatoes, corn) and sugary fruits because those foods do not agree with my insulin resistance. And of course, junk food/fast food/desserts are a very rare thing for me.

I do eat (mostly) lean meat/fish/shellfish/eggs and some dairy. But even things like cottage cheese and yogurt I have to watch.

When I'm at a lower weight and exercising regularly I find that I have more leeway with my food choices but even then I've really got to watch it and not overdo it on the carbs. I just feel very lucky that I can control IR through dietary restrictions. And the "cure" for it, if there really is a cure, is to lose weight and get fit .

Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i am constantly craving sweets and then salty. usualy they are carbs. i am also addicted to fast food. i used to be able to eat anything and not gain weight, but i am now 80 lbs more than i should be!
i try to exericse but its the food addiction that is a real problem. i am afraid that my health is starting to deteriorate and i just plain feel unhealthy.
is there anything i can take to curb my cravings? i bet if i stopped eating these foods, i would lose most of it quickly.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Isn't it funny how a person can go for their entire life maintaining a good, healthy weight and then all of a sudden - WHAM! - they are over eating, gaining weight like crazy. They have no will power, no self control, they are "letting themselves go"...clearly they must be junk food junkies, hanging out at doughnut shops, eating w-a-y too much fast food and junk. They obviously do not get what portion control is, that's why they're fat, right?

Ugh. Well, maybe sometimes that's true. But most of the time I think insulin resistance (blood sugar swings triggered by sugary/starchy carbs, impaired ability to access stored energy for fuel, needing to eat for energy) plays a major role in weight gain - especially in people who have always been in control of their weight.

Being carb sensitive does not make you a "food addict". It just means that you have to watch the carbs in your diet. That's it, that's all.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-21-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I reduce the carbs...and weight falls. But I am starving all the time. I was so hungry last night I ate sardines with celery for a snack...it was filling...but I really wanted a big bowl of pasta.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I reduce the carbs...and weight falls. But I am starving all the time. I was so hungry last night I ate sardines with celery for a snack...it was filling...but I really wanted a big bowl of pasta.
My husband has to have some pasta once in a while - it is so filling and wonderful I agree....I never eat it - I have to have the wheat free pasta and frankly I've never had good gluten free pasta.

I think that a cold winter makes it especially difficult when trying to maintain/lose weight. I have had to be so careful with my portion control....just because a meal is all "healthy" doesn't mean I can eat a pan full unfortunately....I do continue to lose each month - a couple pounds a month but I'm at my goal weight so I may have to adjust my diet a tiny bit. I started exercising again after having my every-three-years killer cold and cough in December...I'm 62 so I do 2.25 miles on the treadmill 4 times a week with intervals of weights - 3 reps, etc. Can't wait for the freezing weather to stop so that I can go hiking and biking outdoors.

The thing I would love to eat most that isn't part of my diet: The really wonderful cheeses I used to buy at Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You might still have too many trigger foods in your diet? It doesn't take much to fire up IR once you're prone to it. Regular exercise like walking and strength training also help tremendously.

I find that when I'm strict about my starchy/sugary carb intake my appetite is pretty much normal and that helps a lot with cravings. When I fall off the wagon, watch out. I gained 13 pounds from mid fall to Jan 1. Yikes. Thankfully, I tightened my diet right back up and I've been able to take it off.

I used to eat spaghetti once a week but I honestly don't remember the last time I had it. Maybe 7 months ago? At any rate, I'm not used to eating it anymore so I don't really think about it even though I make it for dh and my boys on occasion. I just concentrate on making a good sauce and serve it over spaghetti squash or zucchini "noodles" - for me. Not the same but way better than gaining weight..

Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I totally understand eliminating simple carbs but limiting vegetables? Just doesn't make sense to me.
Not to me either but who said anything about limiting vegetables? I went back and reread everyone's posts and everyone was pro-veggie and anti-sweets. A low carb diet is not low vegetable either--that is a myth. Even in the very most strict beginning two weeks of Atkins, he recommended eating a lot of lower carb veggies and adding in higher carb vegetables slowly. If Atkins was anti anything, it was probably grain.

OP, the best way to kill the craving for sweets is to stop them cold turkey and with intent. I did that several years ago and 30 lbs dropped off quickly and with no other change in diet. It sounds like you could do this too since sweets are a big problem for you. My appetite was under much better control as well. It takes 3 days to stop craving them and a month to be able to go to a high temptation place like a church dinner, and just be able to walk on by without thinking about it too much so if you do this, stay away from places like that at first. Also, to be most successful at this it's best to never eat them--even b-day cake is a no-no unless you can get a good sugar-free one. A thing to think about too is that you've probably not been eating enough protein and you may want to ramp that up and that helps to kill the sweet tooth too.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,348,435 times
On the original version of the "Carbohydrate Addicts Diet" (or "CAD")...which is what I've followed for years...you can have a daily reward meal where you can have ANYTHING you want as long as you consume it within a 60 minute time period. You must restrict your intake at the two other meals - you are only allowed the approved proteins and low carbohydrate vegetables. I have to admit, my "reward meal" wasn't very well balanced most of the time (meat and potatoes with gravy and dessert usually!), and I consumed few vegetables, but I dropped a lot of weight and kept it off. The later versions of the book stress a more balanced approach (with balancing protein, starch, low carbohydrate vegetables, and having a mandatory salad at every meal), but I still don't follow it that strictly as far as the vegetables and salad. The great part of it is, you CAN have your "cheat" foods every day.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,234 times
Anyone a believer in Gary Taubes theories?
I'm going his way --basically, little to no carbs, 2 cups (at least) of any kind of leaves every day, another cup of non-starchy vegetable & protein, protein. No more than 4 oz a day of cheese.
My cravings are gone (were after 7-10 days). Weigh going down steadily. I think this is a life changer, lifestyle chnage. Been a good almost 3 months so far.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I totally understand eliminating simple carbs but limiting vegetables? Just doesn't make sense to me.
Me either, but that's because the low-carb way of life does not limit vegetables, other than some of the starchy vegetables (peas, carrots, potatoes, etc.) during the two-week induction.

Overly broad and/or incorrect statements like this is how misinformation starts ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss