Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:34 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
There is an important distinction between vegetarians and vegans. Vegetarians eat eggs and dairy, or can--vegans don't do any animal products. Frequently, veganism is associated with empathy for animals and AR (Animal Rights) issues. Vegetarianism is more health-related.
The chickens won't mind if you eat free range organic eggs.
They're happy chickens and they'll make more.

The same with milk. Cows like being milked. A full udder is uncomfortable.
Do cows like to Be Milked? | Dairy Moos

Just choose your sources wisely.
On a low carb diet you'll find that eggs and butter are among your best friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, so if you can’t eat meat, what do you eat for protein? Beans are a high carb food. Grains are out. This is not a criticism, but a fact. Low carb ketogenic diets are high protein diets.
That's what I'm trying to determine. As an aside, talking to vegans about "where do you get your protein if you don't eat meat" is so sort of a standard response, that it's funny. I think I can get enough protein at my OMAD to cover my needs: walnuts, broccoli, beans, tofu, almond milk, soy margarine.

My efforts are aimed towards shaving down the carbs.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The chickens won't mind if you eat free range organic eggs.
They're happy chickens and they'll make more.

The same with milk. Cows like being milked. A full udder is uncomfortable.
Do cows like to Be Milked? | Dairy Moos

Just choose your sources wisely.
On a low carb diet you'll find that eggs and butter are among your best friends.
Let's not get into a discussion about the dairy industry; it's too off topic and might get us into trouble. Your link, however, is probably not fully desscriptive, shall we say? My recommendation is to do a little more research.

Whether the chickens mind or not is not really the issue. But enough said.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Because, among other reasons, of this podcast:

Low Carb MD Podcast: Episode 21: Megan and Tro Share their Stories and Discuss how to Break Plateaus

. .my new goal is to learn more about carbs, lower my consumption of them, and raise consumption of good fats. Keto diet, in other words. Not adding animal flesh but maybe eggs.

Started a little bit of research last night. Good fats are avocado, olive oil and coconut oil? Carbs are bread, rice, pasta and root vegetables? Anybody have a link to a chart where I can measure these? And what are the recommended levels? Start at 100/day?
You can get a book from Amazon, written by a couple of MD's, that explains the whole concept in tremendous detail, and provides several charts: "Protein Power" (very cheap, as it's an older book). Your challenge will be the protein part of it, since you don't eat meat/fish. But dairy products (yes?) can fill that requirement, and of course, tofu, and for the duration of the diet, you could also do eggs, if it's not your usual thing. The book also explains about exercise, and how to maximize the building of lean muscle mass, taking advantage of the protein in the diet.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:19 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Let's not get into a discussion about the dairy industry; it's too off topic and might get us into trouble. Your link, however, is probably not fully desscriptive, shall we say? My recommendation is to do a little more research.

Whether the chickens mind or not is not really the issue. But enough said.
I know people who get eggs and milk directly from farmers so they can see the living conditions for themselves.

I also know people who have chickens just because they live on a farm.
They're on a farm, so they thought they should have some chickens. The chickens run around loose, they're not caged.
If you have chickens you have eggs so they bring them to work and sell them. They don't look like supermarket eggs... they're all different sizes and colors.

Last edited by eaton53; 03-18-2019 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-18-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can get a book from Amazon, written by a couple of MD's, that explains the whole concept in tremendous detail, and provides several charts: "Protein Power" (very cheap, as it's an older book). Your challenge will be the protein part of it, since you don't eat meat/fish. But dairy products (yes?) can fill that requirement, and of course, tofu, and for the duration of the diet, you could also do eggs, if it's not your usual thing. The book also explains about exercise, and how to maximize the building of lean muscle mass, taking advantage of the protein in the diet.
It's this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Protein-Power...gateway&sr=8-2

Bacon, eggs, steak and cheese? None of which I would eat.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Quote:
Ok, so if you can’t eat meat, what do you eat for protein? Beans are a high carb food. Grains are out. This is not a criticism, but a fact. Low carb ketogenic diets are high protein diets.
Keto diets are low carb, med protein diets. The largest amount of calories come from fats. Ideally it should be 70% fats, 20% protein and 10% carbs. It really isn't that difficult to get high quality protein. Nuts and seeds are high in protein and relatively low in carbs. They also make vegan protein powders.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:43 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Keto diets are low carb, med protein diets. The largest amount of calories come from fats. Ideally it should be 70% fats, 20% protein and 10% carbs. It really isn't that difficult to get high quality protein. Nuts and seeds are high in protein and relatively low in carbs. They also make vegan protein powders.
so that's about all you can eat? nuts and seeds, "powders", and soybeans I guess? Ok. Nuts have single digit grams of protein...not exactly high. and what about b-12? I guess supplements.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:01 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
so that's about all you can eat? nuts and seeds, "powders", and soybeans I guess? Ok. Nuts have single digit grams of protein...not exactly high. and what about b-12? I guess supplements.
I have no problem eating meat. I just finished a couple of baked chicken thighs for lunch. It's more limited if you're vegan, but it can be done. Google is your friend.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:15 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Seitan, Tofu, vegan protein powder. Shouldn't be that hard. Keto requires limited protein as well as very low carbs so you not only do not need a lot of it, you aren't allowed it anyway.

The issue is just that Keto is around 20 grams of carbs per day. It's very hard to stay around 20 grams of carbs period. If you're getting all or almost all of your calories from vegan sources it's just that much harder. There's some sources like nuts. Pecans, for example, are very low carb. Even there it's around 6.4 grams per 1,000 calories. Almonds are up around 16.5 grams per 1,000 calories. For a plant, almonds are quite low carb. In other words, while perhaps possible a vegan keto diet is going to be very, very restricted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss