Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:07 PM

289 posts, read 248,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
No it's not. Hell, he could conceivably go lower.

Diet adherence is a complicated thing influenced by many factors. Losing LBM isn't a concern for the OP at this point because by their sheer size, they're going to lose 25% LBM that is simply stuff like connective tissue to support their weight. As they slim down, they'll need to increase their protein intake and incorporate weight training to keep LBM loss at bay, but it isn't a huge concern now.
No sorry your miles off, he is going to have BMR of approximately 3000 at that weigh in height

BMR Calculator

So if he consumed only 1200 calories that would be 1800 calories below his BMR

If you eat too far below your BMR per day your body slows down it's metabolic processes to compensate for the lack of energy you're providing it.
Plus he needs to be physically fit to join the Police how is he going to train for that on those calories without encountering problems.

It might work for a day, it might work over a week. Overtime your BMR will slow and your body will turn muscle to energy rather than fat.

The contestants on the biggest loser eat way below there BMR most regain most of the weight lost and more

Play the long game, lose fat, not weight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3984927
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943438/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
No sorry your miles off, he is going to have BMR of approximately 3000 at that weigh in height

BMR Calculator

If you eat too far below your BMR per day your body slows down it's metabolic processes to compensate for the lack of energy you're providing it.
Plus he needs to be physically fit to join the Police how is he going to train for that on those calories without encountering problems.

It might work for a day, it might work over a week. Overtime your BMR will slow and your body will turn muscle to energy rather than fat.

The contestants on the biggest loser eat way below there BMR most regain most of the weight lost and more

Sure, his body will downregulate his CNS output some, but he's a very big guy and with a calorie deficit that massive, the overall effect will be minimal. Once he gets down to a more average weight, it might be a bit of a concern, but not yet. Also, there are plenty of ways that decreased CNS output can be dealt with. There are drugs that help (ephedrine, clenbuterol, albuterol...etc) and things like free meals and diet breaks that can fix that as well.

Right now he doesn't need to worry about "getting into shape". Some basic weight lifting to maintain muscle mass and light to moderate cardio is all he needs. Again, once he is down near a more average weight, he can change his training.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Sure, his body will downregulate his CNS output some, but he's a very big guy and with a calorie deficit that massive, the overall effect will be minimal. Once he gets down to a more average weight, it might be a bit of a concern, but not yet. Also, there are plenty of ways that decreased CNS output can be dealt with. There are drugs that help (ephedrine, clenbuterol, albuterol...etc) and things like free meals and diet breaks that can fix that as well.

Right now he doesn't need to worry about "getting into shape". Some basic weight lifting to maintain muscle mass and light to moderate cardio is all he needs. Again, once he is down near a more average weight, he can change his training.
Mat this is Really bad advice hope you are not tempted to follow this in any way.

ephedrine
Health Canada is reminding consumers not to use products containing Ephedra or ephedrine, either alone or in combination with caffeine and other stimulants, for purposes of weight loss, body building or increased energy. Use of products containing Ephedra or ephedrine in combination with caffeine and other stimulants may have serious, possibly fatal, adverse effects Health Canada is advising consumers that these products are not authorized for use.

clenbuterol
The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) have not officially approved Clenbuterol for use on humans, so companies cannot sell it as part of a dietary supplement formula. In fact, the supply of clenbuterol is illegal at the time of writing this report.Nov 27, 2018

albuterol
Because albuterol has a stimulating effect, some people try to use it for weight loss. ... However, albuterol is not approved by the FDA for this purpose. Increasing your dose of this medicine or using it more frequently than prescribed to achieve weight loss can be dangerous and lead to life-threatening side effects.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:43 AM

11 posts, read 7,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I don't see how your caloric intake could be 12-1600 calories. That sandwich you described, assuming zero butter/mayo/cheese/etc. is well over 500 calories alone.

Also, you have been on this bandwagon for 2 weeks and expect to see super results?!?!

Water weight will come and go... you can easily see a fluctuation of 3-5 lbs just from water, so focus on the overall trend.

Also, plateaus are totally normal. Just keep at it.
Actually the calories for my sandwich I eat for break is 340 I eat mustard a teaspoon where the calories are 0. The turkey burger I eat with the onion and mustard (teaspoon) with the chips equal to 486. That’s according to my fitness pal where I scan everything and measure it out. Today I actually only had 1100 calories. But I don’t expect results I just was worried how I dropped from 340 to 322 and I haven’t went any lower. I’m still going to continue to do this because I have a goal lol.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:48 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,680 times
Weight loss is not a straight downward trajectory - your weight will fluctuate up and down a bit, but if you're eating a caloric deficit you will ultimately lose weight. Don't worry about one week. In fact, don't worry until your weight hasn't moved for 6-8 weeks.

Keep doing what you're doing and you will lose weight!

(Note: some web sites suggest women need a minimum of 1200 calories per day, and men 1500, for proper health and nutrition. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV)

Old 06-21-2019, 06:32 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,705,266 times
Quote:

BMR Calculator

I have to agree with royalmike on this. He's posted the studies and science so I will post the anecdotal. I lost over 100 pounds and kept it off though very slow and steady weight loss, not a drastic cut of calories. It took me years but it's stayed off, I feel healthy, and my doctor backs this up as my health is near perfect. In the meantime, I have buddies who do drastic diets and lose a lot of weight fast, but then just gain it all back as quick as they lost it. I've slowly reduced weight to a healthy weight over time and the go up and down adding more weight each time on their upswings.

You don't have to take years like I did, but slow and steady wins the race when it comes to weight loss.

Eat good, whole, foods (processed foods can be full of salts that hinder weight loss). Measure everything and count the calories. Exercise (but don't rely on exercise for weight loss alone or try to "exercise off" extra calories). In time, your weight will slowly go down.

Be prepared for it to go up and down a little. Weight loss is a bumpy ride, not a smooth shot down. And there are plateaus where you can stall out for weeks (or months) at a time. Just keep on keeping on and don't let those stalls get you down. Also know that this is a lifetime commitment. Once you lose the weight, then you have to maintain, you can't just go back to old habits and old ways. A treat now and then is fine, but most of your diet when you are maintaining will be what it is when you are losing. So make sure your diet and exercise habits are something you think you would be happy living with.

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2019, 08:05 AM

Be Careful with MFP quite a few of the items are incorrect, double check.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:09 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Be Careful with MFP quite a few of the items are incorrect, double check.
Or if they're not incorrect, make sure that you're accounting for portion size. Like, in a sandwich, one slice of bread is a serving, not two slices.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Weight loss is not a straight downward trajectory - your weight will fluctuate up and down a bit, but if you're eating a caloric deficit you will ultimately lose weight. Don't worry about one week. In fact, don't worry until your weight hasn't moved for 6-8 weeks.

Keep doing what you're doing and you will lose weight!

(Note: some web sites suggest women need a minimum of 1200 calories per day, and men 1500, for proper health and nutrition. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV)
I was pretty sure I was over reacting lol... I will definitely be keeping this up and thank you so much for the information!

Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I have to agree with royalmike on this. He's posted the studies and science so I will post the anecdotal. I lost over 100 pounds and kept it off though very slow and steady weight loss, not a drastic cut of calories. It took me years but it's stayed off, I feel healthy, and my doctor backs this up as my health is near perfect. In the meantime, I have buddies who do drastic diets and lose a lot of weight fast, but then just gain it all back as quick as they lost it. I've slowly reduced weight to a healthy weight over time and the go up and down adding more weight each time on their upswings.

You don't have to take years like I did, but slow and steady wins the race when it comes to weight loss.

Eat good, whole, foods (processed foods can be full of salts that hinder weight loss). Measure everything and count the calories. Exercise (but don't rely on exercise for weight loss alone or try to "exercise off" extra calories). In time, your weight will slowly go down.

Be prepared for it to go up and down a little. Weight loss is a bumpy ride, not a smooth shot down. And there are plateaus where you can stall out for weeks (or months) at a time. Just keep on keeping on and don't let those stalls get you down. Also know that this is a lifetime commitment. Once you lose the weight, then you have to maintain, you can't just go back to old habits and old ways. A treat now and then is fine, but most of your diet when you are maintaining will be what it is when you are losing. So make sure your diet and exercise habits are something you think you would be happy living with.

Good luck!
Thank you so much! I will definitely be keeping this up. Like I said in the post I actually feel better! Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss