Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 05:12 PM

829 posts, read 628,671 times

Advertisements

My husband and I retired in August of last year and have been trying not to fall into the habits that a lot of fellow retirees told us about - eating and drinking like you're on vacation. We've both lost weight and were thinking of moving to 2 meals a day, which we often do if we go out to eat.

When I saw your thread, I mentioned IF 16:8 to him and we're going to give it a try. With the holidays over, we're ready to get back on track with our food. We joined an Aquatic Center when we retired & relocated and go to classes/swimming Monday-Friday. Despite eating breakfast before I left, I was starved when I got home and had started eating a little more breakfast, which I knew was going in a bad direction, so I started to eat half before I left and half when I got home. I think I can successfully transition to drinking a cup of tea before I leave (about 7:30) and then we'll eat lunch a bit earlier than we have once we get back home. It will be helpful to be occupied duirng the morning until it's time to eat until we get used to this. The two days we don't follow this routine may be a little more difficult, so crossing fingers. This is more doable in retirement, as I get up later and I can eat lunch and dinner earlier than I could while working.

One of my biggest downfalls is snacking/grazing and being on a plan where I'm fasting during 16 hours of the day will hopefully help me break that habit.

Thanks to all for your posts and updates on your success, as well as the links to the articles, all of which are motivational and inspirational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 05:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
We joined an Aquatic Center when we retired & relocated and go to classes/swimming Monday-Friday.
I'm not hungry for quite awhile after my classes... like two hours.
That shortens my eating window even more.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
FWIW, I've been doing IF, OMAD it will be two years in July. Four or five times a month we have a second small meal in the evening with friends. I've posted a lot about this in the past. Some points to consider, in no particular order of importance:
• There are lots of ways to do this in terms of the length of your fasting and feeding windows. My sense is the most popular way is to skip breakfast (black coffee and/or mineral water only) and then do a lunch and a dinner with your family; thus you fast from after dinner to the following noon, an around 16 hour fast.
• Whether you want to lose a lot of weight or a little, one of the advantages of IF is something called autophagy, which usually sets in after around 12 hours of fasting. Google this. The Nobel prize was given for research in this area a couple of years ago. It's not a fad, but very genuine and health advantages are significant.
• Some people do longer fasts. You can investigate that if you like.

Link to paper on Autophagy by a Nobel prizewinner:

https://assets.nobelprize.org/upload...440.1534775659

Yoshinori Ohsumi (大隅 良典, Ōsumi Yoshinori, born February 9, 1945) is a Japanese cell biologist specializing in autophagy, the process that cells use to destroy and recycle cellular components. Ohsumi is a professor at Tokyo Institute of Technology's Institute of Innovative Research.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshinori_Ohsumi

Also see his web page:
http://www.ohsumilab.aro.iri.titech.ac.jp/english.html

Old 01-02-2020, 06:22 PM

829 posts, read 628,671 times
[quote=KaraZetterberg153;56999966]FWIW, I've been doing IF, OMAD it will be two years in July. Four or five times a month we have a second small meal in the evening with friends. I've posted a lot about this in the past. Some points to consider, in no particular order of importance:
• There are lots of ways to do this in terms of the length of your fasting and feeding windows. My sense is the most popular way is to skip breakfast (black coffee and/or mineral water only) and then do a lunch and a dinner with your family; thus you fast from after dinner to the following noon, an around 16 hour fast.
• Whether you want to lose a lot of weight or a little, one of the advantages of IF is something called autophagy, which usually sets in after around 12 hours of fasting. Google this. The Nobel prize was given for research in this area a couple of years ago. It's not a fad, but very genuine and health advantages are significant.
• Some people do longer fasts. You can investigate that if you like.

Link to paper on Autophagy by a Nobel prizewinner:

https://assets.nobelprize.org/upload...440.1534775659

Yoshinori Ohsumi (大隅 良典, Ōsumi Yoshinori, born February 9, 1945) is a Japanese cell biologist specializing in autophagy, the process that cells use to destroy and recycle cellular components. Ohsumi is a professor at Tokyo Institute of Technology's Institute of Innovative Research.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshinori_Ohsumi

Also see his web page:
[url=http://www.ohsumilab.aro.iri.titech.ac.jp/english.html]

Old 01-02-2020, 06:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I achieved great results with IF.

Just don't try to discuss it on Reddit, they are fanatical weirdos.

But yes, IF is much better for dieting than low carb or anything else.

i was always suspicious of the "you have to eat breakfast" rule.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:03 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
i was always suspicious of the "you have to eat breakfast" rule.
I think that's just a myth spread around by {ugh} Morning People. You know, the ones who brightly chirrup at you (or even worse, try to start conversations) at 6:00 in the morning if they happen to come across you stumbling about in a groggy stupor desperately wishing you had the chance to crawl back into bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Common sense. Foods that are minimally processed. Despite people's opinions about what is healthy, or what particular diet you are following, if you use common sense it just really comes down to avoiding the usual suspects; fast foods, prepackaged foods with tons of chemical ingredients, sugary foods, trans fatty foods, sugary sodas, etc...
On the healthy side - lean proteins, whole grains, vegetables, fruit, mono-saturated fats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
If you are eating these foods in combination with other whole foods and are not contributing to a caloric excess, causing nutrient deficiencies, or directly interfering with your body’s functions. How exactly are they bad for you?
New research details exactly how such highly processed foods harm the body's physiology.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...cid=spartanntp

Old 01-04-2020, 06:14 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I think that's just a myth spread around by {ugh} Morning People. You know, the ones who brightly chirrup at you (or even worse, try to start conversations) at 6:00 in the morning if they happen to come across you stumbling about in a groggy stupor desperately wishing you had the chance to crawl back into bed.

New research details exactly how such highly processed foods harm the body's physiology.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...cid=spartanntp
Not a shocker here. A diet in mostly processed foods in a caloric surplus will most likely lead to problems. Nobody is advocating a diet full of processed foods.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:51 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Conventional wisdom understands that caloric excess/surplus leads to weight gain. The referenced article mentions that people who regularly consume ultraprocessed food usually eat more daily calories than those who don't. As you point out, that's nothing new. But, what I found fascinating about the article was the discussion of several new discoveries - the gut bacteria diversity of people who eat more amounts of processed food is more limited than normal, and the emulsifiers that are prevalent in ultraprocessed foods create significant body inflammation.

Quote:
There’s also a link between diets heavy in ultraprocessed foods and harmful inflammation — when the body’s inflammatory response goes into overdrive, making it harder to fight off viruses and disease. One measure of inflammation is a blood marker called C-reactive protein (CRP). Researchers have found associations between higher levels of CRP and various chronic illnesses, including cancer, arthritis, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. And people who eat an unhealthy diet tend to have higher levels of CRP in their bodies.]
This research will likely lead to changes in current dietary advice for people with certain inflammatory diseases, such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, to avoid food products with high levels of emulsifiers. I have IBS myself and since I started avoiding manufactured food in favor of made-from-scratch recipes, I haven't gotten IBS attacks anymore.

The article further points out that ultraprocessed foods mostly lack fiber. For years we have been told that "fiber is good". The digestive tract is lined with a mucus layer and a bacteria layer on top of that. The bacteria layer feeds on fiber. New research shows that when sufficient fiber is lacking, the bacteria turn to feeding on the mucus layer. That is eventually eaten away to expose the gut tissues to irritants and pathogens normally kept away. That leads to all sorts of gut problems.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:12 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Conventional wisdom understands that caloric excess/surplus leads to weight gain. The referenced article mentions that people who regularly consume ultraprocessed food usually eat more daily calories than those who don't. As you point out, that's nothing new. But, what I found fascinating about the article was the discussion of several new discoveries - the gut bacteria diversity of people who eat more amounts of processed food is more limited than normal, and the emulsifiers that are prevalent in ultraprocessed foods create significant body inflammation.

This research will likely lead to changes in current dietary advice for people with certain inflammatory diseases, such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, to avoid food products with high levels of emulsifiers. I have IBS myself and since I started avoiding manufactured food in favor of made-from-scratch recipes, I haven't gotten IBS attacks anymore.

The article further points out that ultraprocessed foods mostly lack fiber. For years we have been told that "fiber is good". The digestive tract is lined with a mucus layer and a bacteria layer on top of that. The bacteria layer feeds on fiber. New research shows that when sufficient fiber is lacking, the bacteria turn to feeding on the mucus layer. That is eventually eaten away to expose the gut tissues to irritants and pathogens normally kept away. That leads to all sorts of gut problems.
I think what would be interesting is to see a study of the effects of ultra processed foods in active individuals that are in a caloric deficit eating a balanced diet. I don’t think that eating ultra processed highly palatable foods automatically leads to overconsumption.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:

Processed foods are all bad because they usually contains preservatives. You need gut bacteria because its one line of defense against food borne illness. You see people in 3rd world countries can eat foods sitting outside and many cases with salmonella in the food with no issues. Yet, we have the cleanest foods and people have all kinds of allergies, immune deficiencies. I always believe that having the kind of biodiversity will lead to a stronger immune system. Because allergy is a symptom of immune system deficiency. Outside of the US, go to any other country. They have never heard of people being allergic to seeds, eggs, etc. It's unheard of in Europe and Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss