Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 06:51 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times

Advertisements

DH and I are a month into IF, 16:8 is working well for us. No breakfast has been hard for me, more out of breaking a lifelong habit than needing to eat. It is easier to keep track of what we eat in eight hours. As long as DH can have coffee in the morning, he’s good with it.

We are both making better food choices; it seems wasteful to fast and then to throw it away on highly processed food loaded with sodium, fats and added chemicals. We want more real food now. It is a choice we are free to make though. We are eating cleaner but not depriving ourselves.

We have both lost weight in the four weeks, 10 pounds for him and nine for me. This has been a surprisingly easy transition for us. We both feel better. I take a high blood pressure med to keep it in a normal range. I halved my dose after speaking with my doctor last week. My BP was dropping to 95/65 and lower, making me feel lightheaded.

It’s early days still, but it seems sustainable. We started out trying to stay with three meals a day, it was too much in too short of a time. We ended up dropping one meal, along with mid-morning snacks and after dinner eating. That’s making a difference. We are experiencing real hunger now at times, not the mindless eating that came from habit or boredom.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-22-2019 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:16 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
I tried IF but I always get off of it. question for ladies who do IF

- Do you stay on IF during your period? I always fall off IF because I have higher carb need or I feel like sh1t & then its so hard to get back on after my period ends
- I sleep late and I have hard time falling a sleep on empty stomach. Anyone eat late & just go longer in day without eating?

Old 08-22-2019, 10:25 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I tried IF but I always get off of it. question for ladies who do IF

- Do you stay on IF during your period? I always fall off IF because I have higher carb need or I feel like sh1t & then its so hard to get back on after my period ends
- I sleep late and I have hard time falling a sleep on empty stomach. Anyone eat late & just go longer in day without eating?
I've been doing IF since April and I haven't had any issues with it when I'm on my period. In fact I feel like I had must worse mood swings and hangry episodes before I started doing IF. I am way more even keeled now. I used to notice being ravenously hungry leading up to my period, like I was insatiable, but since being on IF I don't get like that anymore. It's another happy side effect of IF for me.

I try to finish eating by 7:00p.m., but sometimes that doesn't happen. My times are all over the place, mainly because I do OMAD so sometimes I eat lunch, or dinner as my one meal, and sometimes I eat it at 3:00p.m. in the afternoon. What stays constant is I always go at least 16 hours for my fasts. So eat late, and sleep in, whatever works, just make sure you get your 16 hours between eating and it's all good.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:27 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Stupid me, I didn't buy a scale until six weeks in, but I've lost I'm guessing, around 40 lbs. in the last year.

The other advantage is no loose skin, which a lot of folks report with IF. This, I assume, is a function of autophagy since I did OMAD and numerous 2+ day fasts, as well.

Emotionally? I feel more feminine, younger, happier.

In some ways I think that's smart. When you first start dieting, especially when combined with exercise, you're losing fat but gaining denser muscle. That may not be so evident on the scale but will be in the way your clothes fit.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:13 PM

21 posts, read 22,931 times
In Almost 2 months ive lost 11 pounds and i dont feel deprived at all, i m amazed.
Im doing 16/8, and maybe 3 days 24 hour fast in these 2 months.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:41 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybee View Post
I llwould love to find out more about this fasting, however, I am diabetic since 2000. I have been eating better since 2000. I have lost 56 lbs..I am still loosing. maybe 1lb a week. tell me something about this???? I do have to have breakfast.
I do IF OMAD (One Meal a Day) and I do my one meal at breakfast. I've been doing it a year and I really like it. Congrats on your 56 lb. weight loss. One lb. a week is just about right.

To find out more about IF you can Google it, search on YouTube, or use the search function on City Data. Search terms might include:

Intermittent Fasting
autophagy
Jason Fung
Yoshinori Ohsumi

Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Default Off to a good start

I started Tuesday with the 5:2. Breakfast was two eggs and one piece of bacon. Through the day I had unsweetened tea, a little coffee and a little Diet Coke. I need the caffeine to stave off headaches. No lunch. Dinner was 2 cups of salad, 200 cal. My goal was to say under 600 cal for the day and I met that.

Wednesday was a normal eating day for me and Thursday, I did my second fasting day. It seem to go a little easier than Tuesday. Whenever I get hungry, I try to distract myself. Both days, during lunch, my dog and I visited a local park. He loves to run around, stalk birds, jump up in trees and generally speaking, act like a three-year-old Vizsla. I get a kick out of watching him and he takes my mind off of food.

When I weighed myself this morning, I was down 4.6 pounds from Tuesday. I was curious how it would impact my Saturday morning cycling ride. I had no issues keeping up with our fast group and even did a couple of polls off the front at 24 to 25 mph. I wanted an overall average of 20 mph for the ride which was just barely under 40 miles total. Our group decided to take a shortcut along a bike canal path which cost me the 20 mph average. I ended up at something late 19.97 mph. It’s tough to get to a 20 mph in my location simply due to all of the traffic signals that we encounter. I’d say the diet had absolutely no impact. I did skip my typical post ride chocolate milkshake though. Lol

My weight is at 208 pounds and change. I’d like to get to under 200 as an intermediate goal and then I’ll determine how much longer I want to do this. What I like about the diet is it’s flexibility. I was invited to dinner by one of our vendors on Tuesday which is typically one of my fasting days. It’s simple enough to move that to Monday so that I can enjoy dinner on Tuesday. Mondays and Wednesdays, I cycle during my lunch break. It’ll be interesting to ride a quick 20 miles on it essentially an empty stomach. I’m curious to see the impact.

It’s too soon to declare victory but at least I’m off to a good start and I don’t find the fasting/reduced calorie two days a week to be a huge deal. I’m in my early 60s and I do not want to become what I see every day now: people my age, hunched over their grocery cart, barely able to walk. I grew up in the deep South and when I look at pictures of old friends on social media, too many people my age are just huge now. I think it’s all that fried food, sweet iced tea and the lack of exercise.

My wife is also terrified of losing control of her weight. She’ll likely start the diet when she comes home from an extended trip to her mom’s house. She’s very intrigued by my descriptions and I know she has the mental toughness and the discipline to make this work for her also.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:29 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Today was a fasting day.

I also did my typical 19.5 mile bicycle ride during my lunch break. I wasn’t sure how I’d do with cycling on the same day. Typically, my goal is to manage 20 mph during this ride but I backed off a little due to the fasting. I ended up with 19.68 miles at 19.1 mph burning just over 500 calories. That’s not a bad average for someone riding solo in his early 60’s. Lol

The biggest surprise was the total, complete lack of hunger through the day. My first call this morning was at 0530 and it was a busy day considering the lunchtime ride. I also spent 45 min at the local park with our vizsla so staying busy helped but....a total lack of hunger surprised me. Is that typical after only a few days?

Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
Yes. People think that you'll be starving, but in reality your body adapts and you stop being hungry. It only took me a few days for my body to adjust to not having breakfast anymore, and now that I do more and more one meal days it no longer craves food at lunch either. It makes it easy to stay on track when you're not hungry.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Today was a fasting day.

I also did my typical 19.5 mile bicycle ride during my lunch break. I wasn’t sure how I’d do with cycling on the same day. Typically, my goal is to manage 20 mph during this ride but I backed off a little due to the fasting. I ended up with 19.68 miles at 19.1 mph burning just over 500 calories. That’s not a bad average for someone riding solo in his early 60’s. Lol

The biggest surprise was the total, complete lack of hunger through the day. My first call this morning was at 0530 and it was a busy day considering the lunchtime ride. I also spent 45 min at the local park with our vizsla so staying busy helped but....a total lack of hunger surprised me. Is that typical after only a few days?
It is totally normal.

Once you are running on your own body fat, you ARE eating.. IF coupled with a LC/keto diet goes even further in reducing cravings. I do one meal a day and can easily go till 7pm and quite often I am still not hungry.

I also like to exercise in a fasted state, I have no lack of energy. I am no longer running on sugar from my last meal or what I have stored up, I have none.

It takes time to get to this stage, a few weeks.

You will not understand this until you experience it. Most people that have never done this will never believe it is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss