Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 10:21 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times

Advertisements

Lost about 20lbs in five weeks. Waistline decreases from 41'' to 35''. But belly fat is still there and progress has slowed. Then I remember I have been eating too much fat and my body does not metabolize fats well. I am going to adjust my macro nutrients going forward -- less fat and more protein. Will also do less cardio and more resistance exercises. The new plan is to still lose fat slowly while maintaining/building lean body mass. Though at my age, building more muscle is very very hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 04:21 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,442 times
Despite having M&M’s yesterday - damn car dealer has them in their snack bar - I woke up just under 196 today.

How did everyone do with their Thanksgiving meal? We had several over for lunch and I think I did well. Portions were moderate but I did have a slice of pecan pie with ice cream. Lol

No dinner or snacks in keeping with the 16:8 plan tonight. I hope to remain in the 195.x range when I wake up in the morning. Fingers-crossed.

Happy Thanksgiving friends!

Old 11-28-2019, 06:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Despite having M&M’s yesterday - damn car dealer has them in their snack bar - I woke up just under 196 today.

How did everyone do with their Thanksgiving meal? We had several over for lunch and I think I did well. Portions were moderate but I did have a slice of pecan pie with ice cream. Lol

No dinner or snacks in keeping with the 16:8 plan tonight. I hope to remain in the 195.x range when I wake up in the morning. Fingers-crossed.

Happy Thanksgiving friends!
Peanut M&M's are a problem for me, too. I give them to students (like training a puppy, it feels like sometimes), and in little gift bags for holidays, so it was a struggle to stay away from them. But if I stick with OMAD it's not anything I'd eat for the one meal. So no snacking, and no candy.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, and congrats on your diet success!!

Old 11-29-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Lost about 20lbs in five weeks. Waistline decreases from 41'' to 35''. But belly fat is still there and progress has slowed. Then I remember I have been eating too much fat and my body does not metabolize fats well. I am going to adjust my macro nutrients going forward -- less fat and more protein. Will also do less cardio and more resistance exercises. The new plan is to still lose fat slowly while maintaining/building lean body mass. Though at my age, building more muscle is very very hard.
Great job!

Old 11-30-2019, 06:35 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Quote:
Great job!
Thanks. You have done well yourself. I did some research and learned that a stall in fat loss progress is the result of metabolic adaptation. When you take in less calories than you used to, you body adapts and uses less energy; hence less fat loss eventually. Fortunately there is a way to fix this. This guy, one of my favorite YouTube health and fitness coaches, explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tD97Fdb_nA

Old 11-30-2019, 11:48 AM

That’s great. I appreciate the education! Taking a “diet break” makes logical sense, glad there’s at least some amount of research behind his supposition also.

Edit: here’s the article referenced: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...1550-2783-11-7

Last edited by k7baixo; 11-30-2019 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-30-2019, 01:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
When you shift to a high fat diet, you need time for the gut to adjust. Your gut biome has to change, when people used to eat starches, sugar, and protein. Their guy has bacteria that can help digest that. When you stop eating carbs and only eat fats and protein. The old gut bacteria has to die out and you need to adapt new gut bacteria that eats fats, proteins. It can takes months to completely switch over which is why most people don't do well on a high fat diet switching over from starch based diets.

Age has a major factor too, the older you are the worse your digestion. I'm over 40 and on Keto diet for 10 weeks now and switching to a high fat diet wasn't easy. I fast 14-16 hrs a day now. I can safely eat just 1.5 meals a day while losing no muscle. In fact I think it was easier now to workout with more energy than before.

I drink apple cider vinegar after eating solids especially after eating greasing stuff like bacon and meats. It really helped digestion.

For most of the day, eating very high MCT based fats is the best thing to help your body stay energized. Coconut based oils, avocados, extra virgin olive oils, and snacking on pickles to help your body digest fats.

As for protein, I get my daily 50g through egg yolks, cheeses, and bacon. That's all you need to keep an avg build.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:24 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Great job. I only purchased two pair of jeans yesterday. Holy smokes....jean cost more than they used to. Lol my wife told me that I should have purchased another pair. I’ll do that after the holidays using a $30 coupon the store gave me. That’ll helps a little.

Shirts? Yep....XL to large also. My wife purchased a very, very nice polo shirt for me for an early, and likely only, Christmas gift. I was surprised that it fit so well. Even the sleeves are long enough. She told me to buy another but I’ll wait until our credit card resets. Got to stick to the monthly budget!

My buddy is down to 177 from 230. I’m not sure I want to go that low. At my height, I can carry even my current weight, 196.2, this morning with ease.

I’ll reassess when I hit 190 but I’m thinking 185 or maybe 180 at the most. Then, get back to the gym and firm up with weights and maybe add a yoga class, the easy kind, for fun.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I’ll do my best not to overdo it but my wife is cooking a pecan pie using my grandmother’s recipe so it’ll be a challenge. Ok, maybe a small piece.
Costco has been good for me - Lucky Jeans for $30, and cheaper Urban Star for around $20 a pair.

I’ve gone from 206 in August to 181 this morning.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:27 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
I went from doing a fairly loose version of 10/14, to being pretty strict with 16/8. It is a definitely a
step-up in discipline, but not that hard for me because it was not that much of a change....takes some getting used to.

My bodyfat has noticeably gone down in the stomach area, my digestion is better and my BMs seem to be better formed. I think the consistent 16-hours every day with no food helps my body along in many ways. The increased discipline that 16/8 entails, is both a means-to-an-end, and a very valuable thing within itself.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
We record our weight every Sunday for the week. We both lost weight this week eating the usual Thanksgiving food, just less of it and staying with IF 16:8. I’ve lost 26 pounds and DH 22 pounds since we started July 28. Slow and steady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss