Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 03:55 PM

215 posts, read 152,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Tough but not impossible.

Since Keto excludes starches/grains, that does limit you quite a bit.

It depends on what veggie foods you like.

If you cook, you can get very creative. If you don't it will be tough and probably not sustainable.

Above is C/P from here.
My Vegan-Keto Experiment | Part 1 — Elsa's Wholesome Life

If you are not vegan though you could add dairy and eggs.
Thank you. I am kind of half-vegan. But don't eat eggs. Just greek yogurt and Whey Protein. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 05:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,918,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy_guy View Post
Any ideas on Vegan / vegetarian Keto? :-)
I guess its tough for Non meat eaters like me!
I'm vegan and struggled with this. We discussed it at length in this forum, and there are numerous Facebook groups devoted to the subject. My conclusions are something like the following:

• It can be done but it requires the use of a lot of foods which seem weird to me, hard to find locally, and which, when I purchase, I end up throwing out
• I was not, in other words, able to design a diet which was both keto, vegan and something I would actually eat

I'm a committed Animal Rights person and I can't do a diet based on meat, dairy and eggs. It would make me violently ill. I don't even date people that eat meat.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm vegan and struggled with this. We discussed it at length in this forum, and there are numerous Facebook groups devoted to the subject. My conclusions are something like the following:

• It can be done but it requires the use of a lot of foods which seem weird to me, hard to find locally, and which, when I purchase, I end up throwing out
• I was not, in other words, able to design a diet which was both keto, vegan and something I would actually eat

I'm a committed Animal Rights person and I can't do a diet based on meat, dairy and eggs. It would make me violently ill. I don't even date people that eat meat.
Thank you! I am turning Vegan. But hard to give up Whey and Yogurt. Not because of taste, but because of Protein. But will be eventually.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:08 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,784,138 times
Quote:
Any ideas on Vegan / vegetarian Keto? :-)
I guess its tough for Non meat eaters like me!
https://old.reddit.com/r/veganketo/

https://old.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo/

In my experience, Reddit has far better information than Facebook groups.

Personally, I am keto and follow https://old.reddit.com/r/keto/ regularly.

I've been eating a keto way of eating for 3 1/2 years. Wish I had started it 20 years before that! It's the best way of eating I've ever done.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,918,238 times
Quote:
Thank you! I am turning Vegan. But hard to give up Whey and Yogurt. Not because of taste, but because of Protein. But will be eventually.
You're very welcome! I think there's a vegan yogurt. I know there's vegan sour cream and of course vegan margarine and ice cream, including a Ben & Jerry's and other brands. The vegan cheeses have gotten much better, too.

Most people are really not aware of the cruelty inherent in the dairy industry. "Happy cows" is nothing but a lie.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:45 AM

56 posts, read 38,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Have you had bloodwork done?
Yes.

Waited 10mo and all numbers normal but A1c lower.

Still feel great.

Doctor had no comment and is not a proponent of Keto.

He was all excited until I told him how I lost the weight.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:40 AM

7,314 posts, read 5,196,903 times
Re: vegetarian & keto:-- it's not that the meat is good for the wt loss, it's that carbs are bad (effect on insulin levels & lipogenesis/lipolysis)-- Meat is emphasized in the keto diet because that's what's left when you don't eat carbs....So, if you're going to stick to only veggies, you'll lose wt if you reduce the "calories in" to less than "calories out." That's tough to do with veggies because they have such low density of protein to calories ratio, and you need your protein. … "Ketosis" develops when you're burning fat for energy, whether you're starving or on a balanced, low carb diet.

Re: keto diet (or any low carb diet) vs chol--Chol levels are basically determined by genetics, not diet. So diet isn't usually going to change levels very much (0-20% maybe- not significant).

Triglyceride levels are sensitive to what you eat and when you ate it-- highly variable. OTOH- very scant evidence that they have anything to do with arteriosclerosis., despite what the mercenary researchers are saying. They've already scared everyone they're gong to scar e about chol. Now they figure they'll fool a few more with triglycerides.

Detailed research on the different subtypes of chol has shown that some types are more related to disease than others, but in the end, measuring the subtypes does not improve the predictive value of the good old
total chol/HDL ratio-- but even that isn't much better than the flip of a coin.

The best predictor among the chol types is very low HDL (genetically determined)

Old 09-26-2019, 06:56 AM

56 posts, read 38,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Re: vegetarian & keto:-- it's not that the meat is good for the wt loss, it's that carbs are bad (effect on insulin levels & lipogenesis/lipolysis)-- Meat is emphasized in the keto diet because that's what's left when you don't eat carbs....So, if you're going to stick to only veggies, you'll lose wt if you reduce the "calories in" to less than "calories out." That's tough to do with veggies because they have such low density of protein to calories ratio, and you need your protein. … "Ketosis" develops when you're burning fat for energy, whether you're starving or on a balanced, low carb diet.

Re: keto diet (or any low carb diet) vs chol--Chol levels are basically determined by genetics, not diet. So diet isn't usually going to change levels very much (0-20% maybe- not significant).

Triglyceride levels are sensitive to what you eat and when you ate it-- highly variable. OTOH- very scant evidence that they have anything to do with arteriosclerosis., despite what the mercenary researchers are saying. They've already scared everyone they're gong to scar e about chol. Now they figure they'll fool a few more with triglycerides.

Detailed research on the different subtypes of chol has shown that some types are more related to disease than others, but in the end, measuring the subtypes does not improve the predictive value of the good old
total chol/HDL ratio-- but even that isn't much better than the flip of a coin.

The best predictor among the chol types is very low HDL (genetically determined)
Agreed.......

Especially on cutting the carbs. That has had the greatest effect for me. After several months it became jarringly clear for me that it was WHAT I ate, rather than how much I ate. I just don't get as hungry, and therefore don't have the desire to eat as much, so I don't.

Plus, the fact that I feel so much better without all the carbs is the motivator that kills whatever craving I had for them.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
You're very welcome! I think there's a vegan yogurt. I know there's vegan sour cream and of course vegan margarine and ice cream, including a Ben & Jerry's and other brands. The vegan cheeses have gotten much better, too.

Most people are really not aware of the cruelty inherent in the dairy industry. "Happy cows" is nothing but a lie.
Will try out. I recently bought Vegan cheese for my kid. But its made with lot of not so natural ingredients. So I threw them away. If I find a natural Yogurt with has good nutritional value, I will quit Yogurt as well. I don't anyway eat cheese.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:02 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,521,756 times
years ago, there was this revelation that fat is bad/evil/must be avoided at all costs. Spawned an entire diet industry (i.e. lowfat, nonfat, etc.)

years later, there's another revelation. Carbs are bad/evil/must be avoided at all costs. Spawning another industry.

when will we learn.

i envy people like my friend who never dieted and has been thin all of her life. she's 70 and still thin. i've seen how she eats when we go out weekly. she simply eats less. she eats carbs, protein, fat. only she eats half a sandwich, half the fries. she walks daily. she makes it seem easy, though i know it's not. but it's a life habit that she's had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss