Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 10:29 AM

22,072 posts, read 13,106,304 times

Advertisements

It's actually been around a long time, and there are many variations of this out there (Adkins, South Beach, Paleo, etc.), and it seems everyone is on it these days -- granted, many not doing it correctly -- but I keep hearing warnings of health problems associated with it: everything from "keto flu" to gallstones to kidney failure to sudden cardiac death resulting from strict-to-complete carb/sugar restriction. What are the facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,921,540 times
I don't have access to hard data but a diet based on eating animal flesh grosses me out. It is possible to do vegan keto, I think, but is normally based on meat, eggs and cheese. People love to be free to eat these things but others feel differently. The human body may smell badly on this diet, as well.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:49 PM

30,595 posts, read 19,329,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's actually been around a long time, and there are many variations of this out there (Adkins, South Beach, Paleo, etc.), and it seems everyone is on it these days -- granted, many not doing it correctly -- but I keep hearing warnings of health problems associated with it: everything from "keto flu" to gallstones to kidney failure to sudden cardiac death resulting from strict-to-complete carb/sugar restriction. What are the facts?
Thus is why we need better nutrition education in this country so people would have an educated opinion. My take is that it's healthier than most diets. I eat a diet based on The Plant Paradox and so far (almost 2 years), all of my numbers (weight, blood, choleterol, AIC, etc) have gone from bad to great as has my weight.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,921,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Thus is why we need better nutrition education in this country so people would have an educated opinion. My take is that it's healthier than most diets. I eat a diet based on The Plant Paradox and so far (almost 2 years), all of my numbers (weight, blood, choleterol, AIC, etc) have gone from bad to great as has my weight.
My labs are remarkably good, too, which I attribute to a plant based diet and avoidance of all animal products: meat, eggs, dairy.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 PM

30,595 posts, read 19,329,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
My labs are remarkably good, too, which I attribute to a plant based diet and avoidance of all animal products: meat, eggs, dairy.
I also eat little animal protein, the little I eat is normally wild caught seafood.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:17 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,590,050 times
* "keto flu" isn't much of a problem, it's a short phase while going into keto for the first time. I went gradually from trying to moderate everything to low carb, to low-carb-high-fat and ended up at keto, I never got this. Inthe clib below is a short explanation, what I would add is to chose a mineral salt that also gives some potassium and magnesium for the electrolytes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yoAbSMz1x0

* If you follow a sound keto diet you will still unavoidably eat some carbohydrates, around 3-5% of your daily calories would be from carbs, mainly sources like asparagus etc, which is in excess of what you actually need to avoid deficiencies.
If you go on keto and just eat butter and bacon all day, yes you will have problems, but it's not because of doing keto, it's because of doing it extremely poorly.
Sort of like eating 10 big mac meals/day is doing a "everything in moderation" poorly, it would generate problems as well.

* Like someone suggested above Vegan keto is possible, it can be done well, but you really, really need to have your thinking hat on to avoid some pretty serious risks. I would just avoid it, like I'm going to avoid the debate, that debate can probably be found in plenty other threads and getting into it here would just hijack the thread off topic.

* Kidney stones. From what I've gathered this happens among people on keto but not more than in the general population. This doctor explains the causes etc of kidney stones in relation to keto. Essentially avoid vegetable oils and processed sugar(which you automatically do if you do a sensible keto).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPBAkf_GVbg

* Gallstones, a bit different, basically what happens is if you build up the gallstones on a low fat diet and then go into a high-fat diet, the symptoms comes out, and it may appear as if you got the gullstones from a keto diet, when the keto simply activates a gullbladder which have been more or less dormant for a long time while building up these problems slowly and quietly. The video below includes some sources in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgO7gIaG_Zg

Another channel with a lot of useful info on keto is Dr. Eric Bergs channel, highly recommend it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123

There is of course tons and tons of text form sources, but I find youtube videos often get more focused.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,777,381 times
It's not safe until you get past the initial fasting phase and into ketosis. I would not recommend someone that has to do long driving everyday until they spend a full weekend fasting and into ketosis. The fasting will cause you to have multiple cravings. Starvation isn't fun so be ready for it.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:36 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
I do not believe in drastic diets that eliminate lots of foods. It is proven that you will lose weight if you do keto properly, but that is different than being healthy, or good for long term use.

I did keto twice, and it triggered my RA badly, and my kidney test showed problems.

I adhere to lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, some meat, lots of herbs and spices, and variety, variety, variety.

Beside autoimmune diseases, all my numbers are great and I am at the low end of the weight chart for my height.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-31-2019, 03:00 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,182,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's not safe until you get past the initial fasting phase and into ketosis. I would not recommend someone that has to do long driving everyday until they spend a full weekend fasting and into ketosis. The fasting will cause you to have multiple cravings. Starvation isn't fun so be ready for it.
Fasting? You don't have to fast to get into ketosis. Simply cutting out carbs will do the trick. Yes, that can affect you, sort of like quitting cigarettes. As long as you eat high fat, low carb meals, you'll be in ketosis before you know it, without starving yourself.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:50 PM

289 posts, read 249,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do not believe in drastic diets that eliminate lots of foods. It is proven that you will lose weight if you do keto properly, but that is different than being healthy, or good for long term use.

I did keto twice, and it triggered my RA badly, and my kidney test showed problems.

I adhere to lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, some meat, lots of herbs and spices, and variety, variety, variety.

Beside autoimmune diseases, all my numbers are great and I am at the low end of the weight chart for my height.
Yes sensible diet, forget diets that eliminate whole food groups as there aren't really any long term studies to prove that they are safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss