Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about vegan food and vegans? Multiple responses allowed.
Veganism: It's silly 1 5.26%
Veganism: I find it offensive 1 5.26%
Veganism: I think those people are nuts 2 10.53%
Veganism: I am concerned about the environment, so I don't eat any animal products 4 21.05%
Veganism: "Après moi, le déluge" 0 0%
Veganism: I don't want to think about it 0 0%
Veganism: None of your €¢√^π℅ business!! 0 0%
Veganism: I like the taste of meat too much (sorry) 2 10.53%
Veganism: I'd like to try it 3 15.79%
Veganism: Animals don't really suffer or have feelings 0 0%
Veganism: The subject doesn't interest me 3 15.79%
Veganism: I am committed to reducing animal cruelty 6 31.58%
Veganism: I tried it and got sick 0 0%
Veganism: I resent how pushy they are 1 5.26%
Veganism: God intended for us to eat animals 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 06:56 AM

9,400 posts, read 14,350,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
What are your favorite foods, especially when you're trying to lose weight? My list of favorites includes:

• Tomatoes, Carrots, Baby spinach-- essentially any salad ingredient with vinaigrette
• Garbanzo beans: oven roasted, or in salads, or used to make hummus
• Actual meat grosses me out, but I can do fake hamburgers, fake hot dogs, fake breakfast patties and fake chicken nuggets. I make dressings with salsa, Vegenaise and guacamole
• Dark chocolate, but one small piece during a fasting period
• Blueberries, strawberries (no sugar!)
• Small glass of red wine, usually with a pasta and homemade sauce, maybe with soy meatballs and salad
• Rice, couscous, tabouli
• Bran cereal with banana and pineapple. May add walnuts and raisins
• Mineral water, green tea and Perrier

I'd be interested in hearing what other people like.
I eat vegan because over the years, as a practical matter, my stomach and rest of body and mind respond best to that diet.

I eat mainly:
- whole grains (wheat, rye, rice, teff, oats, quinoa, millet);
- legumes (lentils, peas, chick peas, various beans);
- tubes (potatoes, sweet potato, yucca);
- raw vegetables (lettuce, carrot, spinach, celery, fennel, cucumber, green pepper, kale, radish, red cabbage, arugula);
- steamed or sauteed vegetables (turnips, eggplant, radicchio, zucchini, sweet red pepper);
- fruit (banana, apple, peach, apricot, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry);
- nuts in moderation (cashews, pistachio, almond);
- olives, olive oil and avocado oil, sometimes avocados;
- various spices and seeds (caraway, fennel, sesame, poppy);
- drink water and coffee-flavored water (no milk, no sugar, no nothin', just coffee grinds).

Whole grains and legumes have plenty of protein, plus more efficient and less expensive than eating animals.

Sometimes take Vitamin B-12 supplements, sometimes a B-complex fortified energy drink, once in a while scallops (my understanding is that ideological vegans are on the fence on that one).

I have heard of certain bacteria and other microbes that produce their own proteins if it is lacking in their immediate environment. Sometimes I wonder whether the human body does the same with B-12, in spite of what so-called nutritionists and other "scientists" say.

I slow, swerve or stop for ducks, peacocks, even iguanas, sometimes even stopping traffic if necessary. I feed bread to ducks.

I kill insects in my house, but otherwise try to shoo them out of my car or my face if outside. I will slap a mosquito in the act of sucking the blood out of me. I once stopped my car and pulled over to the side of the road to help a tiny insect that was sort of stuck to my windshield and put it on the grass out there, giving it at least a chance for further survival.

Am I not merciful?

Finally, "carbs" are a lot like "science", "facts" and "statistics".

Real whole grains and other cultivated plant-based foods are essential to, nay, the very definition of cultured civilized society.

Portion control is everything.

Everything in moderation.

Last edited by bale002; 08-28-2019 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 07:51 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,917,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I eat vegan because over the years, as a practical matter, my stomach and rest of body and mind respond best to that diet.

I eat mainly:
- whole grains (wheat, rye, rice, teff, oats, quinoa, millet);
- legumes (lentils, peas, chick peas, various beans);
- tubes (potatoes, sweet potato, yucca);
- raw vegetables (lettuce, carrot, spinach, celery, fennel, cucumber, green pepper, kale, radish, red cabbage, arugula);
- steamed or sauteed vegetables (turnips, eggplant, radicchio, zucchini, sweet red pepper);
- fruit (banana, apple, peach, apricot, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry);
- nuts in moderation (cashews, pistachio, almond);
- olives, olive oil and avocado oil, sometimes avocados;
- various spices and seeds (caraway, fennel, sesame, poppy);
- drink water and coffee-flavored water (no milk, no sugar, no nothin', just coffee grinds).

Whole grains and legumes have plenty of protein, plus more efficient and less expensive than eating animals.

Sometimes take Vitamin B-12 supplements, sometimes a B-complex fortified energy drink, once in a while scallops (my understanding is that ideological vegans are on the fence on that one).

I have heard of certain bacteria and other microbes that produce their own proteins if it is lacking in their immediate environment. Sometimes I wonder whether the human body does the same with B-12, in spite of what so-called nutritionists and other "scientists" say.

I slow, swerve or stop for ducks, peacocks, even iguanas, sometimes even stopping traffic if necessary. I feed bread to ducks.

I kill insects in my house, but otherwise try to shoo them out of my car or my face if outside. I will slap a mosquito in the act of sucking the blood out of me. I once stopped my car and pulled over to the side of the road to help a tiny insect that was sort of stuck to my windshield and put it on the grass out there, giving it at least a chance for further survival.

Am I not merciful?

Finally, "carbs" are a lot like "science", "facts" and "statistics".

Real whole grains and other cultivated plant-based foods are essential to, nay, the very definition of cultured civilized society.

Portion control is everything.

Everything in moderation.

I find your post delightful. Sounds to me like you've really got it together.

There is so much preventable disease and obesity, and without the required knowledge and the will to change, we are unwitting victims of greedy, unethical marketers who have no compunction about lying and manipulating the public in order to generate maximum income.

However, if Facebook is any indication, there is hope. There are prolly millions of people in the interest groups for veganism, animal protection, IF -- talking to each other, sharing recipes and exhibiting scepticism towards businesses that don't support health. I think it's wonderful.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:05 AM

9,400 posts, read 14,350,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I find your post delightful. Sounds to me like you've really got it together.

There is so much preventable disease and obesity, and without the required knowledge and the will to change, we are unwitting victims of greedy, unethical marketers who have no compunction about lying and manipulating the public in order to generate maximum income.

However, if Facebook is any indication, there is hope. There are prolly millions of people in the interest groups for veganism, animal protection, IF -- talking to each other, sharing recipes and exhibiting scepticism towards businesses that don't support health. I think it's wonderful.
I propose, instead of subsidizing our wonderful farmers (I mean that sincerely) to grow soybeans and corn to feed Chinese pigs, we should subsidize them to grow more fresh vegetables, legumes and other healthful whole, single-ingredient foods, and develop ways to bring them to market, in terms of both transport and advertising, more effectively.

That would go a long way to help solving several problems at once, starting with health care and trade deficits.

Love you, Kara, wish you well.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:09 AM

8,157 posts, read 8,383,909 times
Rice noodles (wet, bought at Asian Market) stir fried with mushrooms & onions. (45c for 10.5 oz!)
All fruits
Cucumbers
Whole Grain blueberry pancakes (2 Tb homemade self rising whole grain flour; 2T nonfat Greek yogurt; 1 egg; 1 mashed banana, cinnamon, blueberries)
Cage free hard boiled eggs
Fish & turkey & chicken
Stuffed peppers made with ground turkey (97%) and brown rice.
Chilli made with ground turkey
Tacos made with ground turkey

Old 08-28-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I propose, instead of subsidizing our wonderful farmers (I mean that sincerely) to grow soybeans and corn to feed Chinese pigs, we should subsidize them to grow more fresh vegetables, legumes and other healthful whole, single-ingredient foods, and develop ways to bring them to market, in terms of both transport and advertising, more effectively.

That would go a long way to help solving several problems at once, starting with health care and trade deficits.

Love you, Kara, wish you well.
Thank you so much! You made my day!!

Old 08-30-2019, 06:51 PM

339 posts, read 171,824 times
We keep our freezer full from the farmer's market so we can have fruits & veg out of season. Mostly organic legumes for proteins and rice. My thing is rice and veg. Strong coffee in the morning, black. I had a mild heart attack 20 yrs. ago and changed my eating habits. Most of the stuff people eat is bad for them. Majority of health problems are preventable but ppl don't want to give up their salt, fat and sugar.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
We keep our freezer full from the farmer's market so we can have fruits & veg out of season. Mostly organic legumes for proteins and rice. My thing is rice and veg. Strong coffee in the morning, black. I had a mild heart attack 20 yrs. ago and changed my eating habits. Most of the stuff people eat is bad for them. Majority of health problems are preventable but ppl don't want to give up their salt, fat and sugar.
Sounds smart. I could easily live on rice and vegetables. I use low sodium soy sauce and vegan margarine on my rice. Yummy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss