Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about vegan food and vegans? Multiple responses allowed.
Veganism: It's silly 1 5.26%
Veganism: I find it offensive 1 5.26%
Veganism: I think those people are nuts 2 10.53%
Veganism: I am concerned about the environment, so I don't eat any animal products 4 21.05%
Veganism: "Après moi, le déluge" 0 0%
Veganism: I don't want to think about it 0 0%
Veganism: None of your €¢√^π℅ business!! 0 0%
Veganism: I like the taste of meat too much (sorry) 2 10.53%
Veganism: I'd like to try it 3 15.79%
Veganism: Animals don't really suffer or have feelings 0 0%
Veganism: The subject doesn't interest me 3 15.79%
Veganism: I am committed to reducing animal cruelty 6 31.58%
Veganism: I tried it and got sick 0 0%
Veganism: I resent how pushy they are 1 5.26%
Veganism: God intended for us to eat animals 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:45 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,923,453 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite foods, especially when you're trying to lose weight? My list of favorites includes:

• Tomatoes, Carrots, Baby spinach-- essentially any salad ingredient with vinaigrette
• Garbanzo beans: oven roasted, or in salads, or used to make hummus
• Actual meat grosses me out, but I can do fake hamburgers, fake hot dogs, fake breakfast patties and fake chicken nuggets. I make dressings with salsa, Vegenaise and guacamole
• Dark chocolate, but one small piece during a fasting period
• Blueberries, strawberries (no sugar!)
• Small glass of red wine, usually with a pasta and homemade sauce, maybe with soy meatballs and salad
• Rice, couscous, tabouli
• Bran cereal with banana and pineapple. May add walnuts and raisins
• Mineral water, green tea and Perrier

I'd be interested in hearing what other people like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 07:57 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,844,291 times
Avocados
pretty much all vegetables
fruit, especially berries
eggs
hummus
nuts
faro, black rice, oats
salmon, and other fish
chicken, beef

Old 08-26-2019, 08:25 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,474,768 times
I would like to go vegetarian someday. The protein issue and food combining is a bit confusing for me. Also husband is not on board. He cares about animals but is in denial. When we drive by a field with cows and calves, I point to the calves and say "aren't they cute? look at those babies!" And he always agrees that it is a cute site. Then when I mention that we are going to lunch and he is going to have one of those on his plate (he likes beef), he changes the subject and talks about the weather or something else.

For protein I eat mostly free range eggs (a lot), whey protein drinks and fish and some chicken on occasion. My diet favorite food lately is chopped up fresh spinach leaves. A whole bag is 40 calories. Top it with a little fat free ranch dressing and some chopped nuts and it is awesome.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I would like to go vegetarian someday. The protein issue and food combining is a bit confusing for me. Also husband is not on board. He cares about animals but is in denial. When we drive by a field with cows and calves, I point to the calves and say "aren't they cute? look at those babies!" And he always agrees that it is a cute site. Then when I mention that we are going to lunch and he is going to have one of those on his plate (he likes beef), he changes the subject and talks about the weather or something else.

For protein I eat mostly free range eggs (a lot), whey protein drinks and fish and some chicken on occasion. My diet favorite food lately is chopped up fresh spinach leaves. A whole bag is 40 calories. Top it with a little fat free ranch dressing and some chopped nuts and it is awesome.
I like the spinach with olives, walnuts, garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds. Chickens are the most abused animals on earth, and very social and intelligent. The production of eggs and meat from chickens is an unsanitary, nasty and cruel business. The notion of "free range" chickens is almost always a lie. Food combining is (I think) a pretty outmoded concept and quite unnecessary.

The best way to influence a loved one to eat less meat is to watch films such as:

Earthlings
Cowspiracy
Forks over Knives
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
What the Health
Vegucated
Dominion
Food, Inc.
A River of Waste

Old 08-26-2019, 09:39 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,288,651 times
Really big salads!
I would be willing to do a vegan diet, except the need to go low carb is a big issue.

The compromise would be to buy eggs directly from a farmer that was observed to allow their chickens to roam on real fields and actual pastures.
Then I think it would be possible to be on a low carb vegan diet. I eat a lot of eggs... they're low carb, low calorie and fill you up.

It's possible to have a good veggie burger now, but they're not low carb.
But if one uses low carb ketchup and a lettuce wrap, it's feasible to have a burger with two patties on a low carb diet.
Burgers with fried eggs on 'em are good! Just gotta get creative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The notion of "free range" chickens is almost always a lie.
True, this is why the treatment of the chickens needs to be personally verified. The label is insufficient.
I know people who basically keep chickens as pets and sell the eggs.

Last edited by eaton53; 08-26-2019 at 09:57 AM..

Old 08-26-2019, 09:44 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,474,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I like the spinach with olives, walnuts, garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds. Chickens are the most abused animals on earth, and very social and intelligent. The production of eggs and meat from chickens is an unsanitary, nasty and cruel business. The notion of "free range" chickens is almost always a lie. Food combining is (I think) a pretty outmoded concept and quite unnecessary.

The best way to influence a loved one to eat less meat is to watch films such as:

Earthlings
Cowspiracy
Forks over Knives
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
What the Health
Vegucated
Dominion
Food, Inc.
A River of Waste
I saw the Earthlings trailer. Gut wrenching. That was hard to watch. Watching the actual film would be difficult.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,511,078 times
"Free range" is a scam. I've actually seen on the package of eggs where it specifies the number of square feet each bird has. Something like 1.4 SF which is ridiculous. That is the SF of the space they are kept in divided by the number of birds, so not much space at all.

It should say "Pasture Raised"

The Real Difference Between Pasture-Raised, Free-Range And Cage-Free Eggs

Old 08-26-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
"Free range" is a scam. I've actually seen on the package of eggs where it specifies the number of square feet each bird has. Something like 1.4 SF which is ridiculous. That is the SF of the space they are kept in divided by the number of birds, so not much space at all.

It should say "Pasture Raised"

The Real Difference Between Pasture-Raised, Free-Range And Cage-Free Eggs
I can't talk because my (deceased) husband was a Viet Nam vet and survivalist, and we had chickens. But scrambled eggs and eggs for baking are easily replaced. Boiled eggs, not really. If you're going to hold off trying to help the animals, your health and the environment, until you're perfect, big mistake. Do what you can.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:38 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,288,651 times
Here are some chicken-less KFC nuggets.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kfc-bey...-near-atlanta/
It's probably better than actual KFC, which suxs, IMO.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Here are some chicken-less KFC nuggets.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kfc-bey...-near-atlanta/
It's probably better than actual KFC, which suxs, IMO.
From what I can gather, people in the AR groups were surprised by this effort by KFC. There have been so many protests at KFC and other fast food companies over the years. MorningStar Farms has some pretty good fake chicken patties and chicken nuggets but the problem with many of their products has been that they still contain eggs. All of that is changing soon:

MORNINGSTAR FARMS GOES VEGAN, SPARING 300 MILLION EGGS ANNUALLY
The Kellogg’s-owned veggie brand debuts a vegan “Cheezeburger” to kick off its journey to becoming 100-percent vegan in the next three years.
by ANNA STAROSTINETSKAYA
https://vegnews.com/2019/3/morningst...-eggs-annually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss