Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 12:01 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

People have to understand that we were never to be frequent eaters. Our ancestors went days and weeks without eating. There were no such thing as set meals. The body has a lot of ways to store energy and use it when it needs. Absolutely no need for a 3+ meal plan unless you're an athlete and you have to increase your body mass.
This is it; how we evolved. Imagine cavemen eating 3 meals a day. They probably went days between meat, at least.

Since leaving home, I've never eaten breakfast, and now wait until dinner. I never get hungry and hate eating while there are activities to do. Just doesn't feel good to me (no matter how small the meal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 12:36 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Wound up changing my diet more than anything else, and that change was to "eat like a King for breakfast, a Prince for lunch and a Pauper for dinner"..... .
That's pretty much the way I grow up and continued all my life.
I still fit in my pants I used to wear in college few decades ago. (Yeah, I kept those pants as a weight control - used to weight 120lb/5'8" at that time.)
I see people eating big meals at restaurants very late like 8-9PM, then sit an hour watch TV and go to bed. Most of them are big.
So, I agree - it's not all about calories intake. Our body clock, metabolism and digestion interact in complex ways - meaning it's not just what you eat, but when you eat, that matters.
Our sensitivity to the hormone insulin, which enables the glucose from the food we eat to enter our cells and be used as fuel, is greater during the morning than at night. When we eat late that glucose remains in our blood for longer, which over the time can increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, where the pancreas no longer produces enough insulin.
The best is to try approach of forgoing all food for 12+ hours. So, eat first meal at 7AM, lunch by midday and dinner around 5PM. Them make a long break till 7AM the next day. No junk in between, during the day, maybe just yogurt and piece of fruit.

French and Italians are among the thinnest people in the world. They eat 3x a day and are not snacking in between, not even kids.

Apparently, the majority of North Americans eat over the course of 15 or more hours each day. Munching on something constantly with very small breaks between their many meals.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Does it work? Weight gain is all about calorie intake. You can fast 20 hrs and stuff yourself silly the remaining 4, with fatty, sweet stuff, big meals etc. and you WILL gain weight, guaranteed!
Yeah, and it’s really just a different way of restricting calories. I eat less when I only eat during the 8 hour window. In fact, my problem sometimes is getting ENOUGH calories in.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:25 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
I usually don't eat until for at least 8 hours after I wake up.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:41 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I did once at work and it was not intentional. I remember how miserable and angry I was at the end of the day. There is no way in hell I am doing that ever again. I eat 4 and sometines 5 meals a day and that would make my life a living hell so definitely it is not for me.. Heck I can't even go to work without breakfast. I am like a car without gas in the tank I don't run.
Sorry to say that you are not committed to fixing your insulin problem. It requires a commitment to fixing insulin sensitivity. Nobody should go hungry and require eating 4-5 times a day that is just unhealthy. If you're young your body isn't damaged yet. Once you develop a fatty liver, which it sounds like you already have one and it can properly prevent insulin from working right and your body will go through constant cravings.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:16 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do you think about not eating any protein or anything like that until later in the day?
I think you're looking to be hospitalized.

People used to eat all day long.

Then with civilization it was a big breakfast, big lunch and lite dinner.

That's how it was for a few 1,000 years.

In the US up until about 150 years ago, miners were the only workers who didn't go home for lunch.

Then the nature of business changed, add technology, then alter society and now many people skip breakfast, have a lite or medium lunch and then binge at dinner.

That's one factor in obesity.

Might sound counter-intuitive, but if you want to lose weight, then eat all day long. Eat a big breakfast then snack on those carrot bites. No celery, unless you put peanut-butter on it. Nuts. Lots of fruit. No fruit cups with high fructose corn syrup and petroleum oil that makes you obese, but the fruit from farmer's markets. Cheese. Real cheese, not chemically processed cheese. Lite lunch, medium dinner, you'll be fine.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:45 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I think you're looking to be hospitalized.

I usually don't eat for at least 6-8 hours after I wake up and have been doing it for years. I haven't been hospitalized. That way I consume less calories overall during a 24 hour period.

Losing weight basically comes down to calories in and calories out.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:54 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
I may have been wrong about my memories. I might have had a glass of milk before the road trip donuts.
And the piece of bread I ate the other time might have been made with eggs, like banana bread.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:59 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Sorry to say that you are not committed to fixing your insulin problem. It requires a commitment to fixing insulin sensitivity. Nobody should go hungry and require eating 4-5 times a day that is just unhealthy. If you're young your body isn't damaged yet. Once you develop a fatty liver, which it sounds like you already have one and it can properly prevent insulin from working right and your body will go through constant cravings.
Well there are a million studies out there about eating g. Many studies recommend eating 5 meals a day especially if you want to keep a healthy body. I lift weights and my body needs fuel to replenish nutrients after a 2 hour workout. I can assure you all those athletes that we see on tv don't function on one meal a day. But hey we are all different .I had a Through physical earlier this year and everything checked out good. My blood pressure is good. No diabetes good cholesterol liver was good. I am very active so my body asks me for fuel.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:49 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Well there are a million studies out there about eating g. Many studies recommend eating 5 meals a day especially if you want to keep a healthy body. I lift weights and my body needs fuel to replenish nutrients after a 2 hour workout. I can assure you all those athletes that we see on tv don't function on one meal a day. But hey we are all different .I had a Through physical earlier this year and everything checked out good. My blood pressure is good. No diabetes good cholesterol liver was good. I am very active so my body asks me for fuel.

This. I eat 4-5 eggs when I get up, then I work out 2 hrs later - get to work and have eggs or protein drink, during the day about 3 tuna pack meals dispursed throughout the day, get home and have a meal (protein w/veggies) and then a protein treat or drink with husband. That's about 7 meals. Normal weight here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss