Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 06:52 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,466,950 times

Advertisements

There is a guy here at work that does IF and he is a weightlifter and in great shape. It works for him, but he trains after work. He fasts 20/4 and 16/8. He usually starts eating at 2:00 in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 08:12 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,744,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Well there are a million studies out there about eating g. Many studies recommend eating 5 meals a day especially if you want to keep a healthy body. I lift weights and my body needs fuel to replenish nutrients after a 2 hour workout. I can assure you all those athletes that we see on tv don't function on one meal a day. But hey we are all different .I had a Through physical earlier this year and everything checked out good. My blood pressure is good. No diabetes good cholesterol liver was good. I am very active so my body asks me for fuel.
Those studies did not take into account that eating spikes insulin and someone who has insulin resistance needs to repair the their insulin problem and liver issue before they can go back to eating frequently. When you eat, the insulin's job is to detox and move sugars to storage or convert to energy. If you're a healthy young guy who lift weights your insulin should be working properly. People who don't exercise frequently has messed up their insulin response which leads to insulin constantly storing fats rather than convert to to energy or move to areas that needs insulin. And those are the people like the OP that is starving and craving because it's a symptom of insulin problem where parts of the body can't get insulin and crave food and that leads to a fatty liver and midsection weight gain.

Thats why no diet fits all and I never said everyone should fast, especially if you live an active lifestyle and needs amino acids for recovery. BTW, too much protein is unnecessary too and you know that. The body can only absorb and process so much protein a day.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
There is a guy here at work that does IF and he is a weightlifter and in great shape. It works for him, but he trains after work. He fasts 20/4 and 16/8. He usually starts eating at 2:00 in the afternoon.
Body building is 40% exercise 25% diet and 35% rest/recovery. Plenty of people lift only twice and week and has big gains because they watch their diet and rest. It doesn't pay to do a lot of exercise through out the day when you can do slow heavy sets each session and give the body time to recover for bigger mass.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:23 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,190,208 times
I haven't eaten breakfast in about nine months now. I've always hated eating breakfast, but did so because I bought into that breakfast is the most important meal of the day lie. Now I know better and I am happy and healthy eating one or two meals a day. I am almost forty pounds lighter than I was eating three meals a day and snacks, even when I was actively dieting. Now I eat one to two meals a day, skipping breakfast, and I am the healthiest and thinnest I've been since high school.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:54 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,677,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I haven't eaten breakfast in about nine months now. I've always hated eating breakfast, but did so because I bought into that breakfast is the most important meal of the day lie. Now I know better and I am happy and healthy eating one or two meals a day. I am almost forty pounds lighter than I was eating three meals a day and snacks, even when I was actively dieting. Now I eat one to two meals a day, skipping breakfast, and I am the healthiest and thinnest I've been since high school.
As much as I love ALL breakfast foods, I'm simply not hungry when I wake up. Like ever.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,884,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
As much as I love ALL breakfast foods, I'm simply not hungry when I wake up. Like ever.
I know. But when I started high school I had to eat breakfast because I had to walk across campus to my first class about half a mile. Otherwise I would get a nauseated headache.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,492,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Latest studies suggest that it is not about "calories in/calories out".

It is about insulin. If you don't produce insulin, you can't gain weight. Going 16 or more hours without eating will drop your insulin output to practically nothing during that 16+ hours.

What about the other 8 or so hours? You can only produce so much insulin during any given time period. In that sense, it really doesn't matter how much you eat, or of what foods. Of course, if it's your only meal of the day, better if it's a healthy one.

It is all about insulin production, not calories. It seems counter-intuitive, as most of us grew up worrying about calories. But they really do not matter. That's why reduced calorie diets don't work, while intermittent fasting works so well for weight loss.
Lower insulin levels also reduce cravings and hunger, actually making it hard to overeat. This takes some time to kick in, but rest assured it will. You have to live through it to understand. Most assume you will be famished from not eating and then overeat, it's the opposite. They base this assumption on their own cravings and eating habits, understandable.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:14 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Well there are a million studies out there about eating g. Many studies recommend eating 5 meals a day especially if you want to keep a healthy body. I lift weights and my body needs fuel to replenish nutrients after a 2 hour workout. I can assure you all those athletes that we see on tv don't function on one meal a day. But hey we are all different .I had a Through physical earlier this year and everything checked out good. My blood pressure is good. No diabetes good cholesterol liver was good. I am very active so my body asks me for fuel.
I eat 5-6 times per day. I lift too and I don't perform nearly as well on low fuel. I've tried it and nothing was gained.

My body prefers nourishment every 2-3hrs, from 11-9.

This may not work for some people and it may be dependent on age. My 71 year old mom eats twice a day. Your body adapts to whatever lifestyle you choose.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
There's no such thing as the most important meal. The most important thing is to get enough nutrients in the meal such as sodium, potassium, amino acids, and vitamins. Anyone who incorporates a 2 meal diet can easily drop weight by just skipping breakfast and not eat 3 hours before bedtime. Sleep and your wake hours before meals will help burn fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss