Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 07:30 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,920,946 times

Advertisements

What do you think about not eating any protein or anything like that until later in the day?
I have at least two vivid memories of doing this:

1. I spent the night at a friend's house when I was a kid. We got up very early to drive to the coast with his dad to go fishing. We stopped for donuts on the way. I had at least two. The drive was several hours. We stayed about two hours, then drove back. That was all we ate. I didn't get hungry though or even think that it was odd.

2. Once on a Saturday I went to a park with some friends. I can remember walking around for a while, so it's not as if I was just sitting all day. All I ate for most of that day (until dinner) was something like a small piece of pumpkin bread.

I was fine both times, but it just seems odd to remember these things. It defies logic and what they tell us about nutrition. Especially the lack of protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 09:41 AM

6,829 posts, read 3,241,579 times
My wife and I started juicing recently. We use carrots, apples, parsley and sometimes zucchini. It's amazing how filling it is. I'm far less hungry then when I was eating a bunch of carbs, fat and protein.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:55 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,415,909 times
Unless you have one of a small number of serious health problems, you will be just fine going many hours without food. Trust me, you will not starve to death if you go 24 hours without eating.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:32 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,569,538 times
I never eat breakfast unless going out as a treat because I have no urge for food in the morning.

Lots of people skip meals regularly. It’s called intermittent fasting.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:36 AM

23,660 posts, read 70,702,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Unless you have one of a small number of serious health problems, you will be just fine going many hours without food. Trust me, you will not starve to death if you go 24 hours without eating.
However... one of the reasons for a breakfast is to signal the colon to defuel. A regular habit of eating late can exacerbate constipation issues in many people. Periodic fasting is different.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:04 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,569,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
However... one of the reasons for a breakfast is to signal the colon to defuel. A regular habit of eating late can exacerbate constipation issues in many people. Periodic fasting is different.
Not to TMI — but no problems here!

The only thing that happens to me when I force myself to eat breakfast regularly is weight gain as I end up eating more calories throughout the day. Listening to my natural signals works much better for me.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:17 AM

15,646 posts, read 26,341,981 times
My husband was like that. He could not eat through his day of heavy physical work with no ill effects. I have diabetes, I have to eat. Low blood sugar makes me “hangry”. It’s also scary. A little cheese, some celery, a couple of triscuits — I’m good to go.

That was one of the first things I learned as a new diabetic. Just because, let’s say, 8 triscuits are a serving, I didn’t need to eat a whole serving. And everything I eat has to be complete. I can’t eat an apple without having some cheese or peanut butter.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:48 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,378,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I never eat breakfast unless going out as a treat because I have no urge for food in the morning.

Lots of people skip meals regularly. It’s called intermittent fasting.
I did this long before the term "intermittent fasting" was used. Right after the birth of my second daughter (27 years ago), I wanted to get rid of the baby weight as quickly as possible. I started fasting all day, drinking only black coffee, and didn't eat until dinner time. I wasn't weak or hungry, the weight dropped off in record time, and I was thinner than before I got pregnant. No problem with constipation, either...that second cup of black coffee in the morning always does the trick!

Old 10-30-2019, 04:13 AM

19,977 posts, read 30,340,939 times
a few times if ive wanted to shed some pounds...I will put butter and coconut oil in my coffee and wont be hungry til mid-afternoon... the oils are good for you and suppresses the hunger pangs

Old 10-30-2019, 11:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,265,122 times
It’s called intermittent fasting, and yes it’s a thing. I do it every day and dropped about 20 pounds. 16:8. Fast 16 hours, eat within the remaining 8 hour window.

See also the more extreme Warrior Diet which is a 20:4 ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss