Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2021, 02:32 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,452,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not very science-y; maybe someone will step up who is.

I just know it's no LESS advantageous for weight loss, is much more sustainable (as in indefinitely), and is both far healthier and more enjoyable.
Yeah I was someone who had never done any type of fasting before Keto. My mother used to fast, but for religious reasons, not diet. One day I had lunch, then fell asleep and missed dinner. I was never a breakfast person to begin with (although I love breakfast foods, go figure), so I accidentally pulled off a 24 hour fast. Once I realized I wasnt going to keel over and die of starvation, its been the only way for me to eat now. People stare at me either bugged eyed in amazement or full of concern when they find out that I've gone through an entire day (which includes working a full day at work, an hour for cardio too), but I just smile.

But yeah like Diesel said, to each his/her own. Do whatever works best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 05:02 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
Quote:
Really?

EATING LESS: More hunger, more cravings, lower metabolic rate, demoralization, probable regaining of weight.

EATING LESS OFTEN: Less hunger, fewer cravings, stable or increased metabolic rate, more energy, greater mental clarity, sustainable. Also burns fat, resulting in weight loss completely independent of "calories in/calories out."
Whatever works for yah.

I generally eat twice a day, infrequently once, seldom I just forget to eat anything. Eating less often works for me. Other people like to eat like humming birds and eat every two hours and that works for them. It's mostly a time thing for me. Cooking and dishes take time so I'd rather do that in general twice a day than three times a day and just eat more on the two meals than do three, four, or five smaller meals. There's nothing inherently superior about eating ~2,600 calories over two meals than five meals though other than it just being less work. As much as a glutton as I am, with the foods that I eat that involve a lot of low calorie density stuff, it's difficult to get enough calories in on one meal or I'd do that. I mean, point me at a juicy restaurant cheeseburger with lots of fries, couple of beers, and a desert and I can knock out 3,000 calories. Not exactly great food choices though.

Old 03-12-2021, 05:16 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You don't need a study, carbs instantly triggers insulin. That's a fact. Now I'm not going to keep debating and arguing with you. The facts are out there, if you need me to point out a study to relay this info then we shouldn't even be debating period. It's like debating why the sky is blue and the earth revolves around the sun.

Any grains especially wheat increase inflammation. Now why do humans eat carbs especially grains? Because we evolved from hunter gathers to farmers. Farming grains enabled these foods to be sourced and kept for longer time. While natural foods like meats and vegetables cannot be kept for a long time.

I don't know why you and other folks keep debating why humans need grains to live, when they were never part of the human diet to begin with.
You do realize half those things in your picture are mostly carbs. Oranges, pineapple, spinach, pretty much any vegetable is mostly carbs.

Nobody needs to eat grains or meat or fish or just about any this or that. There's always substitutes you can eat. Meat is a good protein and essential amino acids source, but you can get them with more difficulty from other sources. It might be harder. Grains are mostly just filler calories. A large percentage of my diet is filler calories from grains, legumes, or psuedo grains, tubers. I don't need to eat any of them. I could get my calories elsewhere but grains and starches are inexpensive, convenient, sources of filler calories. I don't have any metabolic disease considerations that I would restrict them so I don't. Instead of eating 500 calories of filler grain type stuff, I could eat 500 calories of pineapple. I wouldn't do it as it's basically just sugar with minimal amounts of vitamins and some fiber. Better than 500 calories of soda but then just about anything is better than soda.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,695,084 times
Quote:
Except that there IS no "after intermittent fasting" for most of us; the majority I've heard from plan to keep it up indefinitely (16:8 isn't unduly burdensome or restrictive). And eating whatever you want while practicing IF versus what's allowed on some diet:

PRICELESS.
I think it is like anything else- works for some and not for others. FWIW, I had one friend who lost a ton of weight with IF, but I’m not aware that he does it anymore. He told me that he tends to gain weight with processed carbs, so he sticks to more of a low carb diet.

I know for me that intermittent fasting is not effective because I tend to get migraines and I will usually eat more food in that smaller timeframe than I do during a regular day (which for me is about 12 hours or so). I do not snack after dinner and may have an herbal tea if I want something else.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:09 AM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
I find that a lot of people who THINK they can't go 16, 18, 20 or more hours without food just THINK they can't and are almost phobic about "starving to death," whereas once they try it, they realize how easy it is; it's eating all the time that makes people feel "starving."

Of course if you have actual physical illnesses that prohibit it (hypoglycemia) or even a history of eating disorders and would be triggered by fasting, you should find another means of weight loss or, in other words, try a traditional reducing diet.

Saying "everyone is different" is a popular response, but the human body works pretty much the same for all of us...

As I say, I don't plan to "go off it," although I'll lengthen my eating window to maintain. I have lost, as of this morning, 20 pounds eating exactly what I want to eat every day during my window including carbs. Additionally, I have never felt better. So IF is a keeper.

Good luck to all trying to lose weight (I still have ten to go to reach my BMI chart ideal, although I'll settle for five). The struggle is real!

Last edited by otterhere; 03-13-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I find that a lot of people who THINK they can't go 16, 18, 20 or more hours without food just THINK they can't and are almost phobic about "starving to death," whereas once they try it, they realize how easy it is; it's eating all the time that makes people feel "starving."

Of course if you have actual physical illnesses that prohibit it (hypoglycemia) or even a history of eating disorders and would be triggered by fasting, you should find another means of weight loss or, in other words, try a traditional reducing diet.

Saying "everyone is different" is a popular response, but the human body works pretty much the same for all of us...

As I say, I don't plan to "go off it," although I'll lengthen my eating window to maintain. I have lost, as of this morning, 20 pounds eating exactly what I want to eat every day during my window including carbs. Additionally, I have never felt better. So IF is a keeper.

Good luck to all trying to lose weight (I still have ten to go to reach my BMI chart ideal, although I'll settle for five). The struggle is real!
Yeah I was one. I couldnt fathom going so long without eating. Like most, I had it ingrained in me to not skip meals, breakfast was the most important meal of the day, blah blah. Till I slept through dinner one day and woke up the next day to realize that I had just fasted 18 hours and didnt feel famished, weak or anything else. Once I saw I could do it then now it's become part of my regimen.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think it is like anything else- works for some and not for others. FWIW, I had one friend who lost a ton of weight with IF, but I’m not aware that he does it anymore. He told me that he tends to gain weight with processed carbs, so he sticks to more of a low carb diet.

I know for me that intermittent fasting is not effective because I tend to get migraines and I will usually eat more food in that smaller timeframe than I do during a regular day (which for me is about 12 hours or so). I do not snack after dinner and may have an herbal tea if I want something else.
I personally feel that everyone has what works best for them. IF obviously wasnt for you. Just whatever gets you to your desired goals.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:05 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Again...the disadvantage of keto is that the weight comes back as soon as you reintroduce (even moderate, even complex) carbs. Not many people are prepared to live out the rest of their lives without bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, or dessert ever passing their lips again...

What would be the point of living???

IF, on the other hand, can easily and happily be lived with.
People who lose weight on low-carb diets that aren't ketogenic have to stick with a lower-than-usual carb count for life, too. That means very little (brown) rice, if they choose rice, or 1 slice of bread/day, less than 1 slice if it's rice bread, which tends to be denser than wheat bread, no potatoes, no conventional deserts. It's not a bad way to live, I can tell you. I get very creative with salads. I have a half a large artichoke or a half avocado in some form, instead of the usual carbs. Those are 2 of my favorite foods, so I'm happy. I'm getting into some of my favorite meat dishes more: paprika chicken, stuffed cabbage rolls, yummy E European comfort food. It's a great way to live! I also like lamb in a yogurt curry sauce. Enjoy your potatoes.

lol

Old 03-13-2021, 11:14 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:

What I'v'e been told by health care professionals, including MD's, is that once. you do IF, you're stuck with a modified form of it for life. I'm not willing to go that far. I'm not willing to paint myself into ever-shrinking corners diet-wise, to lose weight and keep it off.

I know of only one person who did IF, and says he didn't gain it back after returning to a normal eating schedule. I haven't really quizzed him about that, to find out more about his experience.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:44 AM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What I'v'e been told by health care professionals, including MD's, is that once. you do IF, you're stuck with a modified form of it for life. I'm not willing to go that far. I'm not willing to paint myself into ever-shrinking corners diet-wise, to lose weight and keep it off.

I know of only one person who did IF, and says he didn't gain it back after returning to a normal eating schedule. I haven't really quizzed him about that, to find out more about his experience.
You may be confusing that with keto, wherein you can never eat carbs again (not even healthy, complex carbs like pasta, rice, potatoes, or bread) without regaining the weight you lost on it. MOST practicing IF just for weight loss scale back to 16:8 or even longer eating windows for maintenance.

When you think about it...

16:8 is what everyone used to follow. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, then to bed. It can hardly be called fasting. It's time-controlled eating.

NO ONE needs to be constantly eating and taking in calories 24/7 like most people do today. THAT'S abnormal.

Do I ever WANT to go back to abnormal eating in which I'm constantly snacking and therefore constantly hungry for more (due to insulin spikes?). No; THAT was the "trap."

Do I consider limiting my food intake (at which time I eat ANYTHING I WANT INCLUDING CARBS, SNACKS, FAST FOOD, AND SWEETS) to normal meal times "being trapped"? No.

You should ask your friend for most details!

Last edited by otterhere; 03-14-2021 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss