Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2021, 08:05 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You would be "burning fat on keto" even if you didn't EAT keto; fasting itself induces ketosis ("fat-burning").
That's correct there's no such thing as eating keto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Are you at an ideal weight now? How long have you maintained it? You very dogmatic with your opinions, I want to know if you can back them up using yourself as an example, meaning you are at your goal weight and have maintained it for a number of years.
I don't think there's such thing as an ideal weight, because it's a very bad marker for health as weight can fluctuate often. I'm more focused on reversing insulin resistance and a fatty liver takes years. A person with a fatty liver such as myself will need 3-4 years to fully reverse the fat that accumulated on the liver from all these years of being on a high carb diet. The best metric is once I seem my 6 pack and I'm getting there.

I went from a size 38-40 waist down size 30. I completely changed out my wardrobe. It's a life changing effect. I like to get to that 6 pack as my marker for ideal diet. You don't need exercise to have a six pack showing. Visceral fat on the belly is one of the worst places to have fat storage, it can lead to all kinds of health issues. Mainly diabetes and can lead to cancer if not controlled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 11:45 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's correct there's no such thing as eating keto.

I don't think there's such thing as an ideal weight, because it's a very bad marker for health as weight can fluctuate often. I'm more focused on reversing insulin resistance and a fatty liver takes years. A person with a fatty liver such as myself will need 3-4 years to fully reverse the fat that accumulated on the liver from all these years of being on a high carb diet. The best metric is once I seem my 6 pack and I'm getting there.

I went from a size 38-40 waist down size 30. I completely changed out my wardrobe. It's a life changing effect. I like to get to that 6 pack as my marker for ideal diet. You don't need exercise to have a six pack showing. Visceral fat on the belly is one of the worst places to have fat storage, it can lead to all kinds of health issues. Mainly diabetes and can lead to cancer if not controlled.

In other words, you're not there yet but you believe you are the final word on losing weight.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:29 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
In other words, you're not there yet but you believe you are the final word on losing weight.
That's not what he said.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
That's not what he said.

That's what it sounded like to me.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
That's what it sounded like to me.
I don't believe there is an end to dieting. It's a lifestyle change. So for those who thinks there's an end. There isn't, if there is. You will either gain the weight back or completely mess with the hormonal changes. It would take a lot of abuse for me to go back to my old eating habit.

I'm already metabolically adapted to fat burning so I can't just go back easily to carb loading. A diet change also changes the microbiome of your gut. So your gut bacteria thrives on what I've been eating the last few weeks. This is why some people can't stop eating sweets or carbs, they have gut bacteria that wants sweets and carbs.

I was pretty embarrassed going to the beach or pool the last few year. Now I can enjoy being beach ready. My partner said I just need to workout more to have more muscle tone. It's a life changer.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I don't believe there is an end to dieting. It's a lifestyle change. So for those who thinks there's an end. There isn't, if there is. You will either gain the weight back or completely mess with the hormonal changes. It would take a lot of abuse for me to go back to my old eating habit.

I'm already metabolically adapted to fat burning so I can't just go back easily to carb loading. A diet change also changes the microbiome of your gut. So your gut bacteria thrives on what I've been eating the last few weeks. This is why some people can't stop eating sweets or carbs, they have gut bacteria that wants sweets and carbs.

I was pretty embarrassed going to the beach or pool the last few year. Now I can enjoy being beach ready. My partner said I just need to workout more to have more muscle tone. It's a life changer.

There may not be an end to a weight loss diet in the sense that you go back to old ways and magically maintain the new weight, but there is an end in the sense that a weight loss diet gets you where you wanted to be weight-wise. You've conveniently evaded that question by saying the question doesn't matter because weight doesn't matter. Well of course it matters, to people who are trying to lose weight.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:54 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Ah, the smell of SPAM in the morning!

Old 04-28-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
There may not be an end to a weight loss diet in the sense that you go back to old ways and magically maintain the new weight, but there is an end in the sense that a weight loss diet gets you where you wanted to be weight-wise. You've conveniently evaded that question by saying the question doesn't matter because weight doesn't matter. Well of course it matters, to people who are trying to lose weight.
I don't think weight loss is as important once you've achieved the health markers that shows you are metabolically healthy. A person's BMI is more important than their fluctuating weight. I can weigh 170 after dinner but in the morning it drops to 165. Should I be happy that I lost 5 lbs overnight? Then same night I gained 4 lbs after dinner.

Weight is just one measurement, not the true measurement of health.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:40 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
I don't think weight loss is as important once you've achieved the health markers that shows you are metabolically healthy. A person's BMI is more important than their fluctuating weight. I can weigh 170 after dinner but in the morning it drops to 165. Should I be happy that I lost 5 lbs overnight? Then same night I gained 4 lbs after dinner.

9 pounds overnight is water. Weigh yourself once a week for a more reliable number.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:

You can be "metabolically healthy" and overweight, and you can be metabolically unhealthy at an "ideal weight."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss