Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 09:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I had trouble with keto diet, sure I lost about 10 lbs, but I had keto rash. I spent lots of money on acupuncture but it didn’t go away, one day I had a little more carbs and sure enough I got better. No itching. I think it’s probably due to the kidney or liver not working well with keto diet. I had to stop it cold turkey.
Now I can really lose weight without the rash.
That's because your body is going through hormonal change it's difficult for it to process fats efficiently. It may take time for the body to get over it as many keto folks have. The reason for the itch because the body has to process and digest more fats than it is used to.

If you take bile salt, which helps dissolve fats quicker. It also means your digestive system is not working as well or the type of fats you consume are harder to digest. Look into supplements to boost your gall bladder and liver which helps removing toxins from your skin.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post

So since I wrote this I have tried a new schedule. As I mentioned before, I work late and don't wake up until around 10am. I eat my first time around 2pm before work. Then I have something small around 6pm (protein bar or sugar free jello with fruit) At 8:30 p.m. I eat a sensible dinner, this week was blended cauliflower and vegetables with chicken mixed in. I didn't have any food this last meal. I had water or tea only. I forced myself to not snack at all. Plus for two weeks I didn't have any candy whatsoever. (another problem I had, eating candy when it was everywhere at work) So I kept all my eating in a 8 hour window.
Dropped 5 pounds in two weeks.

I am not sure I understand easy, medium hard. Is that eating within a 12, 16, and 20 hour period?
IF is simply about delaying insulin activation and allowing the body more time to regenerate and convert body fat to energy. Insulin is the main trigger for hunger if your blood has too much sugar.

Don't force your body "not to snack", address the problem why your body wants to snack. When you eat the right foods and tame your insulin sensitivity you won't get hungry or desire snacks.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's because your body is going through hormonal change it's difficult for it to process fats efficiently. It may take time for the body to get over it as many keto folks have. The reason for the itch because the body has to process and digest more fats than it is used to.

If you take bile salt, which helps dissolve fats quicker. It also means your digestive system is not working as well or the type of fats you consume are harder to digest. Look into supplements to boost your gall bladder and liver which helps removing toxins from your skin.
Do you have a degree in medicine?

Old 11-26-2019, 10:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Do you have a degree in medicine?
He doesn't need one and it's ironic that many medical doctors have no training in nutrition and are quite ignorant when it comes to diet.

What training do you have? The answer is none.

You don't actually need training to repeat the same old thing over and over as in your posts.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:52 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
It doesn't make much sense to me that the Keto diet calls for eating a lot of fat. If the goal is to burn body fat, why eat a high fat diet? I am not following their 70% fat intake recommendation. My fat consumption is around 40%. I guess that means I am not a keto dieter.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-26-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-26-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It doesn't make much sense to me that the Keto diet calls for eating a lot of fat. If the goal is to burn body fat, why eat a high fat diet? Anyway, I am not following their 70% fat consumption. My fat consumption is around 40%. I guess that means I am not a keto dieter.
You have to understand the difference between stored fat and usable fat. You need to be in ketosis 1st before your body can begin to use fats for energy. Once you are in ketosis, there are 2 mechanism at play. The body begins to use fats for energy, whatever fats you eat becomes usable. Fats on the body is stored at a cellular level and requires energy to pull out. Belly fat is the most stubborn type of body fat, it is the last thing the body uses for energy and takes time and energy to burn it. If you don't eat enough usable fats, your ketosis won't work efficiently. Not only that you need to eat a very high amount of electrolytes to keep your body working optimally for ketosis to process body fat efficiently. This means you have to eat the daily requirement of vitamin K, D, Calcium, sodium, and potassium. This is the hardest part. Once under ketosis, the body is very adapt to using fats you use and failing to eat enough fats will make you feel tired. Just remember that body fat is not easy to burn, the body stores fat not only on the belly but under your arms, neck, back, legs, depending on your body type.

Failure to eat a nutrient dense will give you keto flu or the feeling of being weak, low energy, and drained. Because converting to keto takes time for the body to ramp up the cells to start harvesting your stored bodyfat. It's also very energy taxing, burning calories to pull body fats and convert to ketones. This is how the diet works. You can eat lots of egg yolks, bacon, butter and have a daily calorie intake of 1500 but still lose weight because the calories from fats are used as energy to help the body convert body fat to usable energy called ketones. Ketones are also very beneficial as it increases human growth hormones and regenerative effects.

So hope you understand and do some research, there's a lot to a keto diet than going zero carbs.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:48 AM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
No, you don't need to be in ketosis to use stored fats.

The body does not start to use stored fats for energy in ketosis.
Belly fat is not the most stubborn type of body fat or the last thing it uses. It's generally last on, first off. Belly fat tends to be where people do put fat on early though so last off for many people. Varies from person to person.

If you don't eat enough dietary fat you'll just use more body fat. Works fine, particularly if trying to lose weight.
Never heard of needing electrolytes more than normal to use body fat for energy. You don't have to eat daily requirements of electrolytes or vitamins. Your body will store them. You do need to have sufficient amounts of them though. You won't just die (or get keto flu) if you don't eat enough vitamin x/y/z for a day or five.

Keto flu is really just malnutrition as best I can tell. Eat better. The body is very good using body fat. It doesn't take any time, you just need to burn through most of the preferred energy source which is your liver glycogen storage, about 400-500 calories, before you switch over to fat.

Eating 1,500 calories for most people will result in weight loss by simple CICO. Unless you're a sedentary small woman, that's not enough calories to not be in deficit. I eat around 2,600 a day, more if I'm doing anything active.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:

My family doesn’t have good liver. But this rash comes when I get into a hot shower. Bumpy.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:42 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Keto flu is really just malnutrition as best I can tell. Eat better. The body is very good using body fat. It doesn't take any time, you just need to burn through most of the preferred energy source which is your liver glycogen storage, about 400-500 calories, before you switch over to fat.
Keto flu tends to come right at the beginning of a keto diet, how could it be malnutrition?

Old 12-01-2019, 07:15 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Quote:
Caloric intake still in consideration for any diet but it isn't the big thing is. Calorie counting doesn't work and it varies on the type of calories consumed. Most keto friendly meals are moderate in calorie count and high in fats. High calorie foods comes from either high carbs or proteins. Fats do not constitute much calories and it isn't stored directly. The whole point of ketosis is to exhaust insulin so the body can create ketones and start using reserve fats.

Anyone that thinks eating a ribeye a day is keto is not following the correct keto diet of eating the right fats to trigger ketosis. Eating a steak actually triggers insulin and delay ketosis.
CICO is what causes weight loss regardless of what method you are using. Weight loss is not magic. You must eat less energy than you expend in order to lose weight. If whatever diet you didn't lose weight it's because you weren't in a deficit. It's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss