Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 06:07 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,423,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Yea it is sad that people cannot tell the difference between something NATURAL and ARTIFICAL..... Those artifical sweeteners ARE WAY WORSE FOR YOU THAN CANE SUGAR -- Cane sugar is natural and your system knows how to process it..... It changes it into energy. Artifical Sweeteners cannot be changed into anything!!
Which artificial sweeteners are you talking about? Aspartame? Sucralose? or Stevia? Or all of them?

Artificial sweeteners are worse in what way? Are they worse on your health or are they worse in making you fatter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 08:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,934,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Which artificial sweeteners are you talking about? Aspartame? Sucralose? or Stevia? Or all of them?

Artificial sweeteners are worse in what way? Are they worse on your health or are they worse in making you fatter?
Stevia's not an artificial sweetener. It's made from a little green plant. It doesn't belong on your list.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Yes, it's obvious that sugar does not cause obesity. If sugar caused obesity then sugar consumptions would have increased significantly but that is not what the data shows.

As far as the claim that sugar is toxic. This one bugs me, because anything can be a toxin—it's the dosage that makes it poison. It would take a dose of 450 grams of sucrose to kill the average person. By comparison, a lethal dose of vitamin C is around one-third that dose, and a lethal dose of alcohol about one-fourth. So could sugar be toxic? In theory, yes—but you'd have to try pretty hard.

Too much of anything is bad—and sugar is definitely included here. But if you keep your approach balanced and thoughtful, you don't have to cross anything off the menu.
I really, really HATE it when someone says something is obvious when it's not. You hear a lot of that from immature students in law school. Sugar causes obesity in some people because it's as addictive as heroin. Common sense.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:31 AM

10,715 posts, read 7,942,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Nope. Diet-controlled diabetics cannot safely consume fruit. An apple or banana raises blood sugar way too high.

If taking insulin, sure.

The American Diabetic association says that unprocessed fruit is fine for type 2 diabetics. As a matter of fact, its consumption is beneficial for that condition.

Apples have a low glycemic index.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:33 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,862,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I really, really HATE it when someone says something is obvious when it's not. You hear a lot of that from immature students in law school. Sugar causes obesity in some people because it's as addictive as heroin. Common sense.
No it's not. Not even remotely close.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No it's not. Not even remotely close.
I can't argue because I don't know anything about heroin. Do you? I'm only repeating something I read somewhere, decades ago.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:06 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,862,209 times
Quote:
I can't argue because I don't know anything about heroin. Do you? I'm only repeating something I read somewhere, decades ago.
You can quit sugar with minimal discomfort. The so called addiction is more mental than physical. Heroin is extremely addictive mentally, but more so physically. Coming off heroin is dealing with your body trying to adjust. Its a painful process. You cannot equate the two.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You can quit sugar with minimal discomfort. The so called addiction is more mental than physical. Heroin is extremely addictive mentally, but more so physically. Coming off heroin is dealing with your body trying to adjust. Its a painful process. You cannot equate the two.
Oh, okay.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:17 AM

89,014 posts, read 85,546,257 times
Quote:
There are all kinds of causes (e.g., final, efficient, material), so overeating sugar is the problem, yes, but what leads people to do that? It's because they get a "kick" from it (a physiological boost) and therein lies the attraction. Some studies indicate that most heroin addicts use because of an inherent lack of endorphins in their brains; they're self-medicating in an attempt to compensate.

Sugar addiction is like that. With illegal drugs, the results are criminal associations and often, death. With sugar addiction, obesity, social ostracism. And death. Hardly seems fair, in either case. But there is a relationship. Lots of people die earlier than they should because of unexamined and undiagnosed food issues.

Often on forums people will present their solutions and perspectives, and then say, "simple." I don't think the answers are ever simple, and I hate it when people say that.
I so agree with this post. Someone on City-Data once said, "Remember that sugar is just another crystalline substance made from a tropical plant."

I had the hardest time staying away from sugar, particularly during stressful times of my life that were centered around long work hours with little social activity and no source of love/personal affection. Sugar made me feel good when there was little else that did. That lovely, lovely, sensation of well-being one gets when sugar hits the bloodstream and begins to course through the veins can be a balm in dark times, not to mention the taste sensation in the mouth. Of course, it lasts only a short time before you need another hit, just like crack.

What brought me up short was my doctor saying he should really put me on blood sugar and cholesterol meds. I asked him to give me six months to correct it with diet, and I did. I exercised, cut out sugar (ice cream was my drug of choice, I ate it every day, and sometimes it was my dinner) and lost 24 pounds. My levels went down to normal. It was very hard to give up that high, but I realized how dangerous it was.

Now I'm much better at moderation.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:18 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,423,034 times
Quote:
Stevia's not an artificial sweetener. It's made from a little green plant. It doesn't belong on your list.
Yes, the starting material for stevia extracts may be natural from the plant, but these ingredients are highly processed, thus making it an artificial sweetener so it belongs on the list. Steviol glycoside are extracted from the plant leaves and purified and this is what we consume. I suggest you look it up if you don't believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss