Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2019, 10:19 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You can quit sugar with minimal discomfort. The so called addiction is more mental than physical. Heroin is extremely addictive mentally, but more so physically. Coming off heroin is dealing with your body trying to adjust. Its a painful process. You cannot equate the two.
This is true. Heroin is truly physically addicting. Sugar is more psychological.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:20 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,412,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I so agree with this post. Someone on City-Data once said, "Remember that sugar is just another crystalline substance made from a tropical plant."

I had the hardest time staying away from sugar, particularly during stressful times of my life that were centered around long work hours with little social activity and no source of love/personal affection. Sugar made me feel good when there was little else that did. That lovely, lovely, sensation of well-being one gets when sugar hits the bloodstream and begins to course through the veins can be a balm in dark times, not to mention the taste sensation in the mouth. Of course, it lasts only a short time before you need another hit, just like crack.

What brought me up short was my doctor saying he should really put me on blood sugar and cholesterol meds. I asked him to give me six months to correct it with diet, and I did. I exercised, cut out sugar (ice cream was my drug of choice, I ate it every day, and sometimes it was my dinner) and lost 24 pounds. My levels went down to normal. It was very hard to give up that high, but I realized how dangerous it was.

Now I'm much better at moderation.
I'll leave you with these 2 points to ponder.

- Most who think they have a sugar addiction ironically don't have a "fresh fruit addiction."
- Don't confuse hyperpalatable foods with sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I really, really HATE it when someone says something is obvious when it's not. You hear a lot of that from immature students in law school. Sugar causes obesity in some people because it's as addictive as heroin.
Ok, I apologize, maybe it's not so obvious because they don't know that the scientific data exists or they are unable to let go of their confirmation biases. Sugar + Calories is what causes obesity and problems. Sugar in itself does not cause problems as it has been proven by scientific data dozens of times. Yet you have not shown one piece of evidence that shows that sugar causes obesity or is addictive when calories are equated. People that are addictive to sugar foods as you claim somehow also have an addiction to fast food hamburgers and fries and other processed foods.

Quote:
Common sense.
Common sense is nothing more than an appeal to thinking that just feels right. How about taking that internal bias of yours through a verification of knowledge? If what you say is true there must be some kind of scientific data to back up your common sense intuitive beliefs.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,916,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Ok, I apologize, maybe it's not so obvious because they don't know that the scientific data exists or they are unable to let go of their confirmation biases. Sugar + Calories is what causes obesity and problems. Sugar in itself does not cause problems as it has been proven by scientific data dozens of times. Yet you have not shown one piece of evidence that shows that sugar causes obesity or is addictive when calories are equated. People that are addictive to sugar foods as you claim somehow also have an addiction to fast food hamburgers and fries and other processed foods.

Common sense is nothing more than an appeal to thinking that just feels right. How about taking that internal bias of yours through a verification of knowledge? If what you say is true there must be some kind of scientific data to back up your common sense intuitive beliefs.
Sweetie, I'm not required to show you anything.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Sweetie, I'm not required to show you anything.
Actually, the burden of proof lies in the person making the claim. In a debate, when one person makes the claim then you are required to provide scientific evidence to back up that claim. If you are unable to back up your idea with scientific evidence that sugar in itself causes obesity and is addictive then your claims are nothing but fallacies.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:04 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,678,356 times
Not sugar as much, just avoid wheat like the plague and you will not have any issues losing weight at all.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,916,089 times
Quote:
Actually, the burden of proof lies in the person making the claim. In a debate, when one person makes the claim then you are required to provide scientific evidence to back up that claim. If you are unable to back up your idea with scientific evidence that sugar in itself causes obesity and is addictive then your claims are nothing but fallacies.
There's debate and there's heavy-handed, ill-mannered testosterone war.

This is not a debate, one of the primary rules of which would be "Never offend, disrespect, or insult another debater or mediator."

You don't get to decide the rules.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:40 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
I'll leave you with these 2 points to ponder.

- Most who think they have a sugar addiction ironically don't have a "fresh fruit addiction."
- Don't confuse hyperpalatable foods with sugar.
I specifically mentioned ice cream.

But candy, too.

However, I could also down an entire watermelon in a few hours if it was sweet enough.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:09 PM

9,390 posts, read 14,342,852 times
Quote:
Yes, the starting material for stevia extracts may be natural from the plant, but these ingredients are highly processed, thus making it an artificial sweetener ...
Just asking, similarly is not highly processed refined white sugar also by that point artificial, or even white pasta and other wheat and cereal products impoverished of all their natural integrity and then further impoverished (they call it "enriched") with artificial vitamins?

Old 12-18-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
There's debate and there's heavy-handed, ill-mannered testosterone war.

This is not a debate, one of the primary rules of which would be "Never offend, disrespect, or insult another debater or mediator."

You don't get to decide the rules.
Regardless of what you want to call this discussion the burden of proof still lies with the person making the claim. That’s how it works, I didn’t make up the rules. Not once have I insulted or disrespected you personally. If you claim that I have done so you would need to show where exactly I have in this entire discussion. Simply asking you to provide evidence to back up your claims is not a war nor should it offend you in any way. If it upsets you when someone asks you to back up your claims you probably should not engage in the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss