Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 12:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,926,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
You are forgetting that the last part of the process they are grain fed to fatten them up.
And given massive doses of hormones. We have to be careful not to stray too far afield from the forum focus, diet and weight loss. The animal issues are very controversial, people get upset when you challenge their assumptions, and this puts the moderators in the position of having to close threads and hand out infractions. What I would recommend is to search on "problems in the dairy industry," if the subject interests you.

You may also run into lists of standard arguments, invariably brought by vegans, carnists and every position in between. It's not appropriate or productive to draw any of these arguments out, every time we come to points of disagreement and out of respect for the moderators I refuse to respond when that starts. I don't want to lose my privileges on CityData. I would just recommend that rather than argue, do your own research and make up your mind based on what you find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 09:36 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,418,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
And given massive doses of hormones. We have to be careful not to stray too far afield from the forum focus, diet and weight loss. The animal issues are very controversial, people get upset when you challenge their assumptions, and this puts the moderators in the position of having to close threads and hand out infractions. What I would recommend is to search on "problems in the dairy industry," if the subject interests you.

You may also run into lists of standard arguments, invariably brought by vegans, carnists and every position in between. It's not appropriate or productive to draw any of these arguments out, every time we come to points of disagreement and out of respect for the moderators I refuse to respond when that starts. I don't want to lose my privileges on CityData. I would just recommend that rather than argue, do your own research and make up your mind based on what you find.
Alas I’m not the one bringing the animal issues up. I already know what the issues are in the meat and dairy industry are and everyone moving to a plant based diet is not a solution.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,517,567 times
Quote:
If sugars are the real killer why have they decreased over the last 30 yrs?
Shall I point out the obvious?

Sugar consumption has gone down BECAUSE it is bad for your heath, some people are actually getting the message.

If sugar is the real killer and more people know about it, would you expect consumption to go up?

Old 12-17-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Shall I point out the obvious?

Sugar consumption has gone down BECAUSE it is bad for your heath, some people are actually getting the message.

If sugar is the real killer and more people know about it, would you expect consumption to go up?
Yes, it's obvious that sugar does not cause obesity. If sugar caused obesity then sugar consumptions would have increased significantly but that is not what the data shows.

As far as the claim that sugar is toxic. This one bugs me, because anything can be a toxin—it's the dosage that makes it poison. It would take a dose of 450 grams of sucrose to kill the average person. By comparison, a lethal dose of vitamin C is around one-third that dose, and a lethal dose of alcohol about one-fourth. So could sugar be toxic? In theory, yes—but you'd have to try pretty hard.

Too much of anything is bad—and sugar is definitely included here. But if you keep your approach balanced and thoughtful, you don't have to cross anything off the menu.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,517,567 times
Quote:
Yes, it's obvious that sugar does not cause obesity.
The only thing I have to say about this and some of your other comments is, No comment.

I don't usually respond to ignorant posts.

What's next, it's obvious cigarettes don't cause lung cancer?

Old 12-17-2019, 10:23 AM

22,689 posts, read 24,707,579 times
I think a lot of people didn't/don't buy into the fat-is-evil propaganda.

Sugar, well, I suspect more people do think it is pretty bad for you......probably because, other than in very limited amounts, it is.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The only thing I have to say about this and some of your other comments is, No comment.

You have no comment because you are unable to provide scientific evidence that sugar causes obesity when calories and protein are equated. No one is here advocating that over consumption of sugar is a good thing. Why can't you wrap your head around that?

The scientific data says that sugar isn't the demon many of us have been led to believe. It can be incorporated into a healthy diet AND you can still lose fat as you can see from the scientific evidence below. And there are multiple studies showing this.

No difference in weight loss when people consumed 4 percent of their calories from sugar or 43 percent!That's more than 10 times more sugar in the high-sugar group: 11 grams versus 118 grams.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9094871

Old 12-17-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I think a lot of people didn't/don't buy into the fat-is-evil propaganda.

Sugar, well, I suspect more people do think it is pretty bad for you......probably because, other than in very limited amounts, it is.
Well yea the scientific research has shown associated high sugar intake with increased rates of obesity, heart disease, and cancer. The problem many people are forgetting are the extra CALORIES consumed in combination with high sugar is what causes problems. Excess Calories+ Sugar = Problems!!

Old 12-17-2019, 02:46 PM

8,956 posts, read 11,831,374 times
Quote:

After a while, I had to use the ignore option for that poster.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:19 PM

11,443 posts, read 629,821 times
Yea it is sad that people cannot tell the difference between something NATURAL and ARTIFICAL..... Those artifical sweeteners ARE WAY WORSE FOR YOU THAN CANE SUGAR -- Cane sugar is natural and your system knows how to process it..... It changes it into energy. Artifical Sweeteners cannot be changed into anything!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss