Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 03:38 PM

9,419 posts, read 14,371,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
The disease is from the overconsumption of calories and being obese. Not from the sugar itself.
Cheap food, including those overloaded with refined sugar and by-products and artificial sweeteners, impoverished faux carbohydrates ("carbs"), and fatty hormone- and antibiotic-infested meats, certainly contribute to overconsumption of calories, which in turn contribute to obesity and a whole host of maladies.

But, yes, sugar itself - best if raw cane sugar in my opinion - and other natural sweeteners, in moderation, can fit nicely in an overall balanced diet in just portions and proportions.

Singling out and stigmatizing one factor makes it easy for simple-minded people to fall for the latest fad and its unsustainable promises.

One of the oldest marketing tricks in the book, applicable to anything from food to politics, works time and time again from generation to generation since year one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 08:30 PM

7,156 posts, read 12,716,368 times
Every population that over-consumes sugar (how much can be safely ingested??) suffers from obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

Those populations ingesting a small amount of sugar have very low, negligible amounts of those deadly diseases.

Again, how much is safe to consume??

To my way of thinking, it's best to err on the side of safety.

No sugar? That's quite impossible, of course.

But a small amount once in a while?

That's doable.

Full disclosure. I have a teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee. And usually have one small square of dark chocolate a day.

But sodas? Nope. Sweetened fruit drinks? Nope.

Candy, cake, donuts, pastries? No, no, no and no. A piece of pie at Thanksgiving? You bet!

I'm not suffering by limiting my sucrose/HFCS at all.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:10 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,512,084 times
I thought it was pretty obvious that sugar provides no nutrients whatsoever. Natural forms may provide some benefits such as Honey but refined sugar, really? A part of a balanced diet? It's a treat, plain and simple and should be treated as such.

IMO refined sugar is one of the biggest health threats in this country and many others. Soda is one of the biggest culprits. For those old enough to remember, I barely do, a normal sized bottle of Coca Cola was 8oz and it was a treat once in a while, not all day long, at every meal and in mammoth proportions. When I was a kid the "normal" sized bottle had grown to 10oz. I'm sure some have heard of the 64oz "Big Gulp". That is ridiculous. That is half a gallon by the way. Most people I would think would not drink that much but it is indicative of the culture of over-consumption.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:37 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,288,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
For those old enough to remember, I barely do, a normal sized bottle of Coca Cola was 8oz and it was a treat once in a while, not all day long, at every meal and in mammoth proportions.
Back in the 60's, getting a bottle of soda was a big deal.
We liked going to our aunt's house because she would always give us one.

My grandpa had one of these in his upholstery shop:

You were on your honor to only take one.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:42 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,416,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Believe what you like. I've read enough studies and books by leading nutritionists and doctors to believe otherwise.
It's not what I believe. It is what the meta-analysis data shows. Dozens of research showing this.
Which studies have you read that show that sugar is addictive and causes weight gain when calories are equated? I'm waiting!!!!!

Old 12-08-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Cheap food, including those overloaded with refined sugar and by-products and artificial sweeteners, impoverished faux carbohydrates ("carbs"), and fatty hormone- and antibiotic-infested meats, certainly contribute to overconsumption of calories, which in turn contribute to obesity and a whole host of maladies.

But, yes, sugar itself - best if raw cane sugar in my opinion - and other natural sweeteners, in moderation, can fit nicely in an overall balanced diet in just portions and proportions.

Singling out and stigmatizing one factor makes it easy for simple-minded people to fall for the latest fad and its unsustainable promises.

One of the oldest marketing tricks in the book, applicable to anything from food to politics, works time and time again from generation to generation since year one.
yes and lots of simple minded people here do not understand this even when you show them the data.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I thought it was pretty obvious that sugar provides no nutrients whatsoever. Natural forms may provide some benefits such as Honey but refined sugar, really? A part of a balanced diet? It's a treat, plain and simple and should be treated as such.

IMO refined sugar is one of the biggest health threats in this country and many others. Soda is one of the biggest culprits. For those old enough to remember, I barely do, a normal sized bottle of Coca Cola was 8oz and it was a treat once in a while, not all day long, at every meal and in mammoth proportions. When I was a kid the "normal" sized bottle had grown to 10oz. I'm sure some have heard of the 64oz "Big Gulp". That is ridiculous. That is half a gallon by the way. Most people I would think would not drink that much but it is indicative of the culture of over-consumption.
Foods and drinks with empty calories are the culprit. Whether you consume 10g vs 100g a day when calories are equal there is no difference in weight loss or blood parameters of health.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Every population that over-consumes sugar (how much can be safely ingested??) suffers from obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

Those populations ingesting a small amount of sugar have very low, negligible amounts of those deadly diseases.

That's doable.

Full disclosure. I have a teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee. And usually have one small square of dark chocolate a day.

Candy, cake, donuts, pastries? No, no, no and no. A piece of pie at Thanksgiving? You bet!

Let me fix this for you:

Every population that over-consumes CALORIES (how much can be safely ingested??) suffers from obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:

That's doable.

Our intake of sugar has actually been going down over the last 30 odd years yet obesity continues to rise, can you explain why that is?

Old 12-09-2019, 07:21 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,512,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Let me fix this for you:

Every population that over-consumes CALORIES (how much can be safely ingested??) suffers from obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
Your theories are way outdated and oversimplified. We know better now. It's not just calories and a calorie is not a calorie. It's not that simple, we've moved away from that. You are ignoring macronutrients, they do matter. You eat nothing but sugar and nothing else, then I could believe the diabetes. You could eat nothing but sugar, be a marathon runner, normal weight and still be unhealthy and have heart disease. In fact, I've heard of more than once, long distance runners drop dead, from heart attacks, it happens. I thought they were supposed to be in good health? You eat nothing but protein and fat, like the Inuit and you could be quite healthy with no heart disease. You could also be obese and be healthy otherwise, good cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose etc.

Sugar, refined carbs, and other processed crap people eat are the real killers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss