Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 05:00 PM

521 posts, read 292,556 times

Advertisements

mine is
eat less at night
find exercise or sport you love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 06:00 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Depends on the person.

Me, limiting carbs blunts my appetite.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:51 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,101,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Avoid wheat like the plague as well as soy and high fructose corn syrup. You will have no issues with weight for the most part.
Agree, bread and pasta are the hidden calories in most peoples diet. Also condiments like bbq sauce and ketchup.

Exercise
Instead of 30 min exercise everyday, try to work in 1 or 2 days of HIIT(high intensity interval training) on an exercise bike. HIIT takes only 15 minutes where you go slow 30-40 seconds, then go fast 30-20 seconds.

If you plateau losing weight, you are probably creating too big of a calorie deficit, you cant exercise like crazy and just eat salad. Your body will think you are trying starve it and slow down your metabolism instead of speeding it up.

On the supplement side
Use acetyl-carnitine (1000mg) 30 min before a work out, will shuttle fat into your mitochondria. You can find it sold with Alpha lipoic acid which will also helps.

Life extensions AMPK encourages cells to burn fat.

Glucator is pre-meal supplement worth looking at to help with insulin resistance and prevent sugar absorption. Jarrow makes a similar product, but it overlaps with a multivitamin - but a good product if you build your vitamin regimen around it.

A small dose of DHEA can help cells burn sugar - Ray Peat

"Young people produce about 12 to 15 milligrams of DHEA per day, and that amount decreases by about 2 mg. per day for every decade after the age of 30. This is one of the reasons that young people eat more without getting fat, and tolerate cold weather better: DHEA, like the thyroid hormone, increases our heat production and ability to burn calories. At the age of 50, about 4 mg. of DHEA per day will usually restore the level of DHEA in the blood to a youthful level."

Ideally, you want to try to get your fasting sugar under 80 and limit sugar spikes. - life extension

Old 10-04-2020, 05:24 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,380 times
don't skip meals.

first time i tried to lose weight, i thought i'll work out
and skip a meal or two.
the less i eat the more i'll lose.
i lost weight but it was a struggle.

then i read NOT to skip meals and thought ok, i'll give it a go.

worked out, didn't skip meals and the weight flew off.

who would have thought.

you need to eat to lose weight.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:09 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
don't skip meals.

first time i tried to lose weight, i thought i'll work out
and skip a meal or two.
the less i eat the more i'll lose.
i lost weight but it was a struggle.

then i read NOT to skip meals and thought ok, i'll give it a go.

worked out, didn't skip meals and the weight flew off.

who would have thought.

you need to eat to lose weight.
If you eat 6 small meals, high in protein, you’ll never be hungry. For example, a handful of nuts or 2 oz of cheese will last for hours. Hard boiled eggs are a life saver. Beef jerky or tuna pouches work, too.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,995 times
If you're trying to lose weight, knowing how your body uses calories for fuel can make a difference in how you approach your weight loss program. You get your energy from fat, carbohydrates, and protein. Which one your body draws from depends on the kind of activity you're doing.

Most people want to use fat for energy, which makes sense. You figure out that the more fat you can use as fuel, the less fat you will have in your body. But, using more fat doesn't automatically lead to losing more fat. Understanding the best way to burn fat starts with some basic facts about how your body gets its energy.
[Mod edit: copy/paste from this article:
https://www.verywellfit.com/body-int...achine-1231548

Last edited by elnina; 10-18-2020 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Copy/paste of copyrighted articles. Not linking to it.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:23 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Exercise is good for you, but it is not necessary to lose weight. Reducing calories is all you need to do.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Avoid white foods: sugar; flour; potatoes; rice; cereals. (exception: cauliflower.)

Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Avoid white foods: sugar; flour; potatoes; rice; cereals. (exception: cauliflower.)
I will never avoid potatoes. I don't eat them all the time, but I cannot live without potatoes. (I do avoid the in French fry form, though, lol.) The rest of those items you can keep.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:34 AM

68 posts, read 43,835 times
Eat lower carb M-F, 3 meals a day with no seconds or snacks. Sat & Sun have a cheat meal or two.

I've learned many years ago that I can't eat everyday like I was still in my teens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss