Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 10:10 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Everything in moderation. Enjoy your bacon, but don't eat it everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 05:02 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Everything in moderation. Enjoy your bacon, but don't eat it everyday.
That is my question. Is it OK to have just one slice every day. Lots of people have 4 slices of bacon on the weekend, all at once. Sat + Sun is 8 slices of bacon. At least a slice a day, it is not hitting my body all at once.

But if only 2 slices a week are OK, then I could live with that. Just trying to get an idea of what is OK. I realize people are saying none is healthy and some is OK. I am trying to quantify how much to enjoy.

Thanks for everybody who are giving me a hint. Maybe the answer is just, "No, a slice of bacon daily is too much and not good for you." I can live with that if it is the answer.

I guess medical science is more art and unknowns than it is science.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:18 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Cholesterol for me, I could just eat a salad, all day every day, and my numbers are high. Someone else could eat bacon every day, and their numbers are fine. Depends on the person. Get your numbers checked.
This is so true. Back in the '80s when cholesterol became a thing, our company medical department started testing everyone. All the bosses were coming back from Medical talking about their numbers. My boss was the kind of guy who ate red meat every day. He had the lowest cholesterol numbers of everybody. Meanwhile, the rest of them were all running around eating salads and fish to get their numbers down.

Fast forward to 2020, and for the first time in my life, my cholesterol was high. My blood sugar was also high, and I had gained some weight, so before the doc put me on meds, he said to try losing weight and suggested a Mediterranean type diet (more fish, more vegetables, limited meat and dairy) and cut down on sugar. I came back four months later 20 pounds lighter and my blood sugar was normal again. But my cholesterol only went down from 244 to 242. I'd eaten red meat maybe once a month, hardly any cheese, pounds of fish and lots of rice and beans.

The doc laughed and said often diet doesn't do anything for cholesterol.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:20 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
it's only about 50 calories a slice, practically diet food!
It's my opinion that bacon has been so changed from meat through processing and whatnot that it has returned to the status of the vegetables that the pig ate originally.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:06 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
That is my question. Is it OK to have just one slice every day. Lots of people have 4 slices of bacon on the weekend, all at once. Sat + Sun is 8 slices of bacon. At least a slice a day, it is not hitting my body all at once.

But if only 2 slices a week are OK, then I could live with that. Just trying to get an idea of what is OK. I realize people are saying none is healthy and some is OK. I am trying to quantify how much to enjoy.

Thanks for everybody who are giving me a hint. Maybe the answer is just, "No, a slice of bacon daily is too much and not good for you." I can live with that if it is the answer.

I guess medical science is more art and unknowns than it is science.
A couple days a week eating moderate servings (2-4 slices) would be Ok for a relatively healthy individual.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
A couple days a week eating moderate servings (2-4 slices) would be Ok for a relatively healthy individual.
Thanks. That is what I wanted to know. I'm not looking to eat 4 slices a day. Just wondering if a slice a day is an issue. Eggs all by themselves is boring and I am trying not to add carbs to the meal.

Thank you so much.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:57 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,703 times
Quote:
Thanks. That is what I wanted to know. I'm not looking to eat 4 slices a day. Just wondering if a slice a day is an issue. Eggs all by themselves is boring and I am trying not to add carbs to the meal.

Thank you so much.
Bacon every day would get a little boring.
Mix it up with some good Sausage once and a while, or make a cheese omelet with the eggs.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Bacon every day would get a little boring.
Mix it up with some good Sausage once and a while, or make a cheese omelet with the eggs.
Great suggestions. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:55 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:

Thank you so much.
Breakfast doesn't need to include eggs. It also doesn't need to include bacon.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:21 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Breakfast doesn't need to include eggs. It also doesn't need to include bacon.
Exactly. I usually eat a home made sourdough waffle, along with some berries and a slice or two of Boar's head turkey on occasion. I quit eating bacon a couple years ago. It is just not a healthy food, and it is also messy and greasy to cook and deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss