Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 07:38 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
OK, just how bad is bacon for you? How much can you have before it is bad for you?

If you had 1 slice a day, is that bad?

Or if you had 4 slices every Sunday breakfast, and nothing else all week, is that bad?

Do you have to keep it down to 2-4 slices once a month before it's little enough that is not bad for you? Anybody know?

And what does it do to your cholesterol numbers?
My cholesterol numbers are not the issue. What are yours?

You could try having bacon occasionally and see what it does to your numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Exactly. I usually eat a home made sourdough waffle, along with some berries and a slice or two of Boar's head turkey on occasion. I quit eating bacon a couple years ago. It is just not a healthy food, and it is also messy and greasy to cook and deal with.
I cook it in the microwave layered between paper towels. Most of the fat is tossed with the towels since I like it crispy. I do not have it every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 03:58 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
OK, who said bacon has no nutritional value?

Bacon Is Fairly Nutritious

Meat tends to be very nutritious and bacon is no exception. A typical 3.5-ounce (100-gram) portion of cooked bacon contains (8):

-37 grams of high-quality animal protein

-Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B12

-89% of the RDA for selenium

-53% of the RDA for phosphorus

-Decent amounts of the minerals iron, magnesium, zinc and potassium

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_4

Of course, the article goes on to talk about all kinds of other problems with bacon, from salt to nitrates to over cooking, but that is another story. I just wanted to address the post that said bacon had no nutrition.

Beyond that, I have finally got it through my head to avoid trans fats like the plague, which are basically synonymous with fried foods, and much more of course. Bacon does not have trans fats. I would say that is good news.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:46 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
OK, who said bacon has no nutritional value?

I did...You wanna step outside and verify your facts?

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...roducts/2209/2 (Info from USDA) Your source seems to be a fantasy.

You'd have to eat 100 slices (4300 cal) to get your daily B vitamins, or 14 slices to get all your selenium.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:09 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Unfortunately, Healthline is not in my experience a reliable source of information.

It does place high on Google search results pages, which makes it look authoritative when it isn't.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:11 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
OK, well there is a reason I am here looking for help. Thanks all.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:31 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Well gee whiz, I truly don't believe that having a single daily slice of bacon (esp. the nitrate-fee variety) is going to harm an otherwise healthy individual.

I'm a bit of a fitness and nutrition advocate for myself and I will never, ever give up bacon once in a while or my daily little square of dark chocolate.

Whoever invented the BLT sandwich deserves sainthood.

So there.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Thanks. That is what I wanted to know. I'm not looking to eat 4 slices a day. Just wondering if a slice a day is an issue. Eggs all by themselves is boring and I am trying not to add carbs to the meal.

Thank you so much.
I usually buy turkey bacon. I'm sure it still has the nitrites, but it is lower in fat. It makes less of a mess in the kitchen too.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:12 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, keep getting your numbers checked. I always get a brand of bacon that is nitrate free, like Applegate Farms or I think there is one other brand that is truly nitrate free. I don't eat bacon that much, maybe a BLT once in a while.
I’m sorry to have to break it to you but it’s not nitrate/nitrite free.

Applegate Farms and other producers hide the nitrate/nitrite from you by using cultured celery powder or juice.

I’ve given up all processed meats because I can no longer trust the producers. And cured/smoked/salted meats are bad for you.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:29 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,127 times
I eat two slices every morning for breakfast. Along with 2 eggs and an orange. I've lost 35 lbs in the last year.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:43 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss