Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 11:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
^ This guy is absolutely horses*t when it comes to knowledge of keto. Carbs is absolutely the 2nd worst thing people can consume. It causes inflammation regardless how clean the carbs are. Wheat causes inflammation no matter how organic and clean it is.

Fats do not and body is more efficient when using fats for energy than carbs.

I've been on Keto for over a year and it is an amazing diet when done properly. Lost over 35lbs.
It works for YOU. And thats great. But it is not the end all be all diet. In fact, it ranks pretty low as far as being able to be on it long term.
I would like to see your source for carbs are the worst and cause inflammation. Please post a non biased peer reviewed study, and not some doctor that is trying to sell books.
Carbs come in a lot of different forms and they are not the worst thing you can eat.
Again, congrats on your loss. Obviously Keto works for you so you should keep at it. But you are misinformed about carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 08:02 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
A friend of mine, especially during the pandemic, found that the diet wasn't sustainable in the long term and "doctored" things to better suit him. He isn't alone. The initial results are dramatic and is often suggested when people have had no success with other methods, but one has to look at the big picture. After awhile, the dieter rebels, starts to allow "forbidden" foods back into the diet and so on and so forth.

Best to just have a balanced diet to begin with and not having any no-nos.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:15 PM

5,143 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I believe that is the reason it does not rank higher. Its an incredibly hard way to eat indefinitely.
I shifted to a low-carb lifestyle over seven years ago and lost 70+ pounds. My BMI and labs are now all in the normal range. I take no medications, but do use a multivitamin supplement and a low-dose aspirin because my family has a history of heart disease.

The Keto diet to me is extreme, but it’s probably better than the starvation/fasting diets that normal people cant maintain. The only path to real weight control is a lifestyle change and that is hard to do if the stomach is rumbling

My food plan gets about 60 grams of carbs a day (I don’t count calories) and I eat a wide variety of breads, pasta, vegetables, nuts and meats. Yes, today we have low-carb breads, pastas, and natural sweeteners with zero glycemic effect. Seek and ye shall find.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Why do you get so worked up when someone brings up Keto? Once again, like always you make claims with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

1. No one is saying you can't lose weight on Keto but it is NOT MAGIC and not SUPERIOR to other diets.

2. Carbs cause inflammation? Any diet that reduces bodyweight will reduce inflammation. Including high carb low-fat diets. Inflammation is not a hallmark of High carb, it’s a hallmark of high calories.

Also, did you know that being on Keto alone can cause inflammation? Here is the evidence against the idea that “ketogenic diets are inherently healthier and anti-inflammatory” than other calorie equated diets https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31067015/

All carbs are the worst? Then how can a low GI diet containing moderate carbs be an effective tool to reduce inflammation and metabolic risk markers? https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24787494/

I'm not claiming to be some Keto expert, what I do know and claim is what the evidence shows us and the evidence shows that Keto is not superior to other diets when calories are equated. I'm willing to change my mind when you actually find that evidence to back up your claims.
No because everything you posted about Keto is totally distorting the facts and not being factual or are they impartial at all. Absolutely no evidence to back up any of your counterpoints. All you do is troll and try to debunk or put skeptism against various diets that people have posted successes.

The stuff you posted about carbs, is completely proven to be false by many experts. Carbs causes inflammation in the body and is an insulin spike. None of it is good for you. And I've read many of your posts that tries to say carbs is good and keto is bad.

Everybody is on keto when they are not eating, plain and simple. The whole point of fasting is to speed up ketosis.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:06 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
No because everything you posted about Keto is totally distorting the facts and not being factual or are they impartial at all. Absolutely no evidence to back up any of your counterpoints. All you do is troll and try to debunk or put skeptism against various diets that people have posted successes.

The stuff you posted about carbs, is completely proven to be false by many experts. Carbs causes inflammation in the body and is an insulin spike. None of it is good for you. And I've read many of your posts that tries to say carbs is good and keto is bad.

Everybody is on keto when they are not eating, plain and simple. The whole point of fasting is to speed up ketosis.
Your post is full of false accusations and assumptions. Never once did I say Keto is bad. If you actually read and comprehended you will see that I say repeatedly that keto is not superior. Can you point out exactly where I am posting non-factual things and distorting facts? You state I provide no evidence but don't even provide any evidence of your own?

I provided two studies, one randomized controlled study as evidence and you didn't even acknowledge them or look at them. How about commenting on them and explain to me in detail why you think these studies are distorting the facts?

Here they are again for you to assess. Keto causes inflammation https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31067015/ and moderate carb diet causes no inflammation- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24787494/

As I stated above inflammation is not a hallmark of High carb, it’s a hallmark of high calories. If this is wrong where is the evidence?

Old 10-29-2020, 09:22 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I shifted to a low-carb lifestyle over seven years ago and lost 70+ pounds. My BMI and labs are now all in the normal range. I take no medications, but do use a multivitamin supplement and a low-dose aspirin because my family has a history of heart disease.

The Keto diet to me is extreme, but it’s probably better than the starvation/fasting diets that normal people cant maintain. The only path to real weight control is a lifestyle change and that is hard to do if the stomach is rumbling

My food plan gets about 60 grams of carbs a day (I don’t count calories) and I eat a wide variety of breads, pasta, vegetables, nuts and meats. Yes, today we have low-carb breads, pastas, and natural sweeteners with zero glycemic effect. Seek and ye shall find.
I dont need to seek as this way of eating does not interest me. I did Atkins for about 6 months years ago and I really did not enjoy it. I did lose weight, but it plateaued and lost interest in the food I was eating.
I did however lose the weight and have kept it off for years now just be eating from all the food groups, but avoiding fast and junk foods. I have no restrictions and I am much happier.

I am not advocating for my way of eating because I realize that it does not work for some. You have success with your way of eating and you should realize that its not for everyone either.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:17 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
The Keto Diet just doesn't work for me. I suspect that I do not have metabolic syndrome even being over weight (even though everyone keeps telling me I must have it)

I don't even lose a lot of water weight when I start strict keto.

I got hip to low carb back in 2000 and pretty much cut out the worst foods: cereal, muffins, rice, potatoes.

I suspect my weight gain is due to Linoleic acid.

But I believe in the power of Ketosis. So I am mostly keeping with it. I saw a doctor suggest that 24-7 ketosis all the time is not necessarily good for you either. So I am eating carbs once per day. Typically this takes me out of ketosis for about 6 hours or so.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
The Keto Diet just doesn't work for me. I suspect that I do not have metabolic syndrome even being over weight (even though everyone keeps telling me I must have it)

I don't even lose a lot of water weight when I start strict keto.

I got hip to low carb back in 2000 and pretty much cut out the worst foods: cereal, muffins, rice, potatoes.

I suspect my weight gain is due to Linoleic acid.

But I believe in the power of Ketosis. So I am mostly keeping with it. I saw a doctor suggest that 24-7 ketosis all the time is not necessarily good for you either. So I am eating carbs once per day. Typically this takes me out of ketosis for about 6 hours or so.
I laugh whenever someone says they eat a steak everyday and says keto doesn't work for them. You are not in keto if you eat a lot of protein everyday. A ketogenic diet calls for very limit amount of protein and carbs. If you go and consume a lot of proteins and not enough healthy fats I doubt you are in keto. Ketosis happens when there's no usable glycogen stores so the body has to convert to burning body fat. If you don't lose weight it's obvious you're doing it wrong.

Don't blame linoleic acid because it's basically your eating too much food.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:02 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I believe that is the reason it does not rank higher. Its an incredibly hard way to eat indefinitely.
A lady I know at work did Keto early in 2020. She did a tremendous job and lost close to 70lbs. She swore that Keto was the best diet in the world and she would eat Keto forever. Yada, yada, yada...

Then Covid-19 struck and our office was closed. Everyone was allowed to work at home from March through October. Somewhere during the shutdown she stopped following the Keto diet. When we were finally allowed to return to work in mid-October, I was shocked. This lady had blown up like the Hindenburg. She gained back all 70lbs along with an extra 20 or 30lbs.

She's no longer an evangelist for Keto.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:10 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
A lady I know at work did Keto early in 2020. She did a tremendous job and lost close to 70lbs. She swore that Keto was the best diet in the world and she would eat Keto forever. Yada, yada, yada...

Then Covid-19 struck and our office was closed. Everyone was allowed to work at home from March through October. Somewhere during the shutdown she stopped following the Keto diet. When we were finally allowed to return to work in mid-October, I was shocked. This lady had blown up like the Hindenburg. She gained back all 70lbs along with an extra 20 or 30lbs.

She's no longer an evangelist for Keto.
She should still be an evangelist for Keto as it clearly allowed her to lose the weight. The problem wasn’t Keto, it was what she did after losing the weight.

If she gained 90-100 pounds in 6 months that’s 15 pounds a month, or .5 pounds a day.

She ate 2000 calories above her daily needs, every day for 6 months, to gain that weight back. Sounds like she was gorging herself on snacks. Even if she didn’t exercise at all, that wouldn’t have accounted for the huge gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss