Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 03:28 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Thanks for the recommendation for Dr. Malcolm Kendrick. I just downloaded his latest book, "A Statin Nation" and reading it now. Thanks.
I'd been a reading him and others for years when my own cholesterol shot up. Nobody recommended a statin, but it turned out I had low thyroid. Some of the cholesterol wasn't getting turned into thyroid hormones for some reason. Low thyroid is terrible for your heart--and beating down my cholesterol numbers would have done jack all to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 08:46 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have done a diet somewhere between keto atkins (too low protein for atkins, too low in fat for keto) for 2 years nowand I've never been healther...I'm in my 50s. I have followed pretty much any meal plan you can think of (weight watchers/slim fast/medi-fast, low fat, counting calories, etc).

Basically, I do not eat processed food or sugar. No white flour. Typically, I'm eating eggs, nuts, olive oil, avocados, lots of non-starchy veggies, meat, seafood, and my "sweets" are berries and melons. I may go off for special occasions, but I end up feeling terrible and regret it.

I do drink alcohol, but it's a vodka and soda or a glass of a wine.

I think most eating plans require you to think about food too much, whether it be counting calories, fat, points, etc. And that makes me hungry.

I also think that the processed stuff, especially sugar, is addictive. I think most people would love to still eat junk and be healthy. It isn't until you realize that it's not possible that you get healthy.
You are confusing hyperpalatable foods with sugar. It seems like it's the sugar but it's not because one common theme here is that all these processed foods are very low on the satiety index so the ability to over consume these foods is highly likely. Ironically those that are addicted to supposedly sugar also have a french fries, hamburger and pizza addiction. It's the combination of the ultra processed fats, carbs, sodium and sugar that makes these foods so hyperpalatable.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,823 times
Husband has lost over 100 lbs ling the keto life.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have done a diet somewhere between keto atkins (too low protein for atkins, too low in fat for keto) for 2 years nowand I've never been healther...I'm in my 50s. I have followed pretty much any meal plan you can think of (weight watchers/slim fast/medi-fast, low fat, counting calories, etc).

Basically, I do not eat processed food or sugar. No white flour. Typically, I'm eating eggs, nuts, olive oil, avocados, lots of non-starchy veggies, meat, seafood, and my "sweets" are berries and melons. I may go off for special occasions, but I end up feeling terrible and regret it.

I do drink alcohol, but it's a vodka and soda or a glass of a wine.

I think most eating plans require you to think about food too much, whether it be counting calories, fat, points, etc. And that makes me hungry.

I also think that the processed stuff, especially sugar, is addictive. I think most people would love to still eat junk and be healthy. It isn't until you realize that it's not possible that you get healthy.
You are confusing hyper palatable foods with sugar. It’s ironic that those with a sweet tooth also have a hamburger and fries tooth. Sugar is in no way addictive or we would all be addicted to passion fruit which has a lot more sugar than a donut.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
You are confusing hyper palatable foods with sugar. It’s ironic that those with a sweet tooth also have a hamburger and fries tooth. Sugar is in no way addictive or we would all be addicted to passion fruit which has a lot more sugar than a donut.
You keep repeating this. Definitely not my experience at all.

In fact, for me. eating a hamburger (no bun of course) would eliminate my sugar cravings.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You keep repeating this. Definitely not my experience at all.

In fact, for me. eating a hamburger (no bun of course) would eliminate my sugar cravings.
Lol because it’s true. Maybe your craving was really processed fats and not sugar and that is why you satisfied your cravings with that highly processed hamburger.

Like is said if sugar was so addictive we would all be overconsuming passion fruits instead of donuts. The fact of the matter is these addictive foods are extremely high in processed carbs and fats with no fiber. This is what makes them addictive.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:46 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Lol because it’s true. Maybe your craving was really processed fats and not sugar and that is why you satisfied your cravings with that highly processed hamburger.

Like is said if sugar was so addictive we would all be overconsuming passion fruits instead of donuts. The fact of the matter is these addictive foods are extremely high in processed carbs and fats with no fiber. This is what makes them addictive.
So what is an example of what you eat on a normal day that you feel is a healthy diet?

Old 10-27-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So what is an example of what you eat on a normal day that you feel is a healthy diet?
Whole Foods with enough fiber and protein and 4 servings of fruit and veggies. No processed foods obviously.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
^ This guy is absolutely horses*t when it comes to knowledge of keto. Carbs is absolutely the 2nd worst thing people can consume. It causes inflammation regardless how clean the carbs are. Wheat causes inflammation no matter how organic and clean it is.

Fats do not and body is more efficient when using fats for energy than carbs.

I've been on Keto for over a year and it is an amazing diet when done properly. Lost over 35lbs.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
^ This guy is absolutely horses*t when it comes to knowledge of keto. Carbs is absolutely the 2nd worst thing people can consume. It causes inflammation regardless how clean the carbs are. Wheat causes inflammation no matter how organic and clean it is.

Fats do not and body is more efficient when using fats for energy than carbs.

I've been on Keto for over a year and it is an amazing diet when done properly. Lost over 35lbs.
Why do you get so worked up when someone brings up Keto? Once again, like always you make claims with absolutely no evidence to back it up.

1. No one is saying you can't lose weight on Keto but it is NOT MAGIC and not SUPERIOR to other diets.

2. Carbs cause inflammation? Any diet that reduces bodyweight will reduce inflammation. Including high carb low-fat diets. Inflammation is not a hallmark of High carb, it’s a hallmark of high calories.

Also, did you know that being on Keto alone can cause inflammation? Here is the evidence against the idea that “ketogenic diets are inherently healthier and anti-inflammatory” than other calorie equated diets https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31067015/

All carbs are the worst? Then how can a low GI diet containing moderate carbs be an effective tool to reduce inflammation and metabolic risk markers? https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24787494/

I'm not claiming to be some Keto expert, what I do know and claim is what the evidence shows us and the evidence shows that Keto is not superior to other diets when calories are equated. I'm willing to change my mind when you actually find that evidence to back up your claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss