Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 08:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
She should still be an evangelist for Keto as it clearly allowed her to lose the weight. The problem wasn’t Keto, it was what she did after losing the weight.

If she gained 90-100 pounds in 6 months that’s 15 pounds a month, or .5 pounds a day.

She ate 2000 calories above her daily needs, every day for 6 months, to gain that weight back. Sounds like she was gorging herself on snacks. Even if she didn’t exercise at all, that wouldn’t have accounted for the huge gain.
And this tends to happen when the Keto followers go off the strict diet. No more restrictions. Keto is extremely hard to follow for a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 08:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
And this tends to happen when the Keto followers go off the strict diet. No more restrictions. Keto is extremely hard to follow for a lifetime.
Ok, but Keto in itself isn’t low calorie. Although I get that by restricting many foods you are reducing your calorie intake.

But 2K extra calories per day, every day? For 6 months?

Wouldn’t say a month or 2 in she would have noticed she was putting on weight and then said “woah Nellie, time to slow down”?

This isn’t a Keto failure.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:51 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Ok, but Keto in itself isn’t low calorie. Although I get that by restricting many foods you are reducing your calorie intake.

But 2K extra calories per day, every day? For 6 months?

Wouldn’t say a month or 2 in she would have noticed she was putting on weight and then said “woah Nellie, time to slow down”?

This isn’t a Keto failure.
Well it is since she was unable to stick to the strict diet.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:10 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Most fast foods are engineered to BLISS POINT, meaning added sugar or similar carbs to make you want to pig out.

You will find many people unable to follow OP ideal "whole foods" diet as they would following any other diet. People are addicted to modern foods and HIGH carb diets. And in my personal life, I ate mostly a whole foods diet full of those healthy whole grains that I cooked myself. I got diabetes. It was a natural diet but a HIGH CARB diet.

Carbohydrates arent evil in themselves its just that people eating modern diets eat multiples of carbs they ate pre-WWII. Limit carbs to nothing more than 200grams per day and all is well. If you try to limit it to 30 grams or some super low amount, yea your body will rebel especially with everybody waving high carb foods under your nose continually. And frankly at such low levels you will be pretty well living on meat and sticks of butter. Especially when EVERYTHING anymore has added sugars and starches. Even what at first blush looks like a single ingredient food, may have injected magic sugary potions to up your consumption. Capitalism at its finest... LOL Better profits through chemistry.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:10 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Most fast foods are engineered to BLISS POINT, meaning added sugar or similar carbs to make you want to pig out.
If sugar makes you want to pig out then why aren’t we pigging out on passion fruits which have a lot more sugar than donuts?

Quote:
You will find many people unable to follow OP ideal "whole foods" diet as they would following any other diet. People are addicted to modern foods and HIGH carb diets. And in my personal life, I ate mostly a whole foods diet full of those healthy whole grains that I cooked myself. I got diabetes. It was a natural diet but a HIGH CARB diet.
people are addicted to highly processed carbs and fats, not Whole Foods. You got diabetes because you were over consuming calories. Nobody here is advocating a high carb diet.

Quote:
Carbohydrates arent evil in themselves its just that people eating modern diets eat multiples of carbs they ate pre-WWII. Limit carbs to nothing more than 200grams per day and all is well. If you try to limit it to 30 grams or some super low amount, yea your body will rebel especially with everybody waving high carb foods under your nose continually. And frankly at such low levels you will be pretty well living on meat and sticks of butter. Especially when EVERYTHING anymore has added sugars and starches. Even what at first blush looks like a single ingredient food, may have injected magic sugary potions to up your consumption. Capitalism at its finest... LOL Better profits through chemistry.
The difference is modern diets are filled with ultra processed carbs and fats that are low on the satiety index. That is why they are so easily over consumed. As the plethora of evidence shows you can still lose weight on a moderate carb diet vs a low carb diet. There is no advantage whatsoever going low carb vs moderate carb. It’s just what works best for that individual.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:06 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Source:
https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/2020...verall-of-2020

Jan. 2, 2020 -- For the third year in a row, the Mediterranean diet has been named the best diet overall in the U.S. News & World Report annual rankings.

In 2018, the Mediterranean diet shared top honors with the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet. Both focus on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The ketogenic diet, one of the most popular, again fared well in the annual survey, but only in the fast weight loss category. Overall, it was not rated highly.
Dietitians, I can't say.

But Doctors have no nutritional nor diet training.

I'm suspicious.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:55 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
If sugar makes you want to pig out then why aren’t we pigging out on passion fruits which have a lot more sugar than donuts?

Lot fiber IF you eat the whole fruit and not just its sugary juice with fiber removed. and its not hidden sugar. Better profits through chemistry means they put LOT sugar in stuff that doesnt naturally have sugar. Its not passion fruit pulp, its HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP or to lesser extent beet sugar, though must be 100s of names for sugars to try and obfuscate ingredient label. Also dont know if you have visited grocery store in last few decades but whole fruit is not cheap, neither is raw produce in general. Grain and grain based products including HFCS is SUPER CHEAP in comparison.

Quote:
people are addicted to highly processed carbs and fats, not Whole Foods. You got diabetes because you were over consuming calories. Nobody here is advocating a high carb diet.

Whole grains did not tell my brain to stop eating when full. You rarely see processed fats without SUGAR or STARCH added. You have your agenda and food beliefs. Some of us simply dont get the FULL signal from eating high carb diet, whether processed or natural. My body has no problem getting full signal when I limit ALL carbs to 100 grams.

Quote:
The difference is modern diets are filled with ultra processed carbs and fats that are low on the satiety index. That is why they are so easily over consumed. As the plethora of evidence shows you can still lose weight on a moderate carb diet vs a low carb diet. There is no advantage whatsoever going low carb vs moderate carb. It’s just what works best for that individual.

Again some of us simply dont feel full from high carb foods whether they contain lot natural fiber or not. Not until stuffed and have to loosen belt. This easy full signal from "natural starches" maybe true for YOU, but assuming its true for everybody is silly. My weakness was never sugar, just never had a sweet tooth (some people do), but I sure loved my starchy "grain based" foods. It was not easy giving up all grain to control my blood sugar without using insulin or other drugs. But I had that threat of having to take diabetes drugs if I cheated.

Now a question for you, WHAT is the benefit of this high carb "natural" diet you think everybody should eat? Why do you think you need more than 200g of carbs per day? Own stock in General Mills?

Old 11-17-2020, 08:10 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Intermittent fasting was not on the list that I saw. I eat all food groups in moderation and I stick with eating between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. I lost 45 pounds the year before coming into the pandemic and have held steady. A diet that works for me along with walking miles every day with the dog and a doctor that is on board with IF has had good results.

While I find it easy to do IF, I can see where this would not work for others. The key for me was finding something that works and also easily became part of my lifestyle, not just a temporary means to get to a goal. If it isn’t sustainable, it becomes another part of the reason for up and down weight cycles.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-17-2020 at 08:33 AM..

Old 11-17-2020, 08:20 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I’m back on the low carb diet now, and in the past I stayed on it for a year. I don’t do the hard core ketogenic, but a happy medium for the long haul. By this I mean no sugar, white flour, or fruit juices....very little whole fruit. I do eat beans, potatoes and all the high carb vegetables.

I track my meals on the Atkins site, and find that I’m never hungry and I stay under 1600-1800 calories a day, although I go over 25 carbs on most days. I can eat anywhere and find it not hard at all to avoid bread and cereal and sweets. I don’t use convenience foods much, so hidden sugar is not a big problem.

I will eat pasta every week or two, and if I crave pizza, I’ll have it once in awhile. I’ll enjoy all the thanksgiving foods, but then I’ll be back on the wagon.

It’s a system that works.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:46 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Lot fiber IF you eat the whole fruit and not just its sugary juice with fiber removed. and its not hidden sugar. Better profits through chemistry means they put LOT sugar in stuff that doesnt naturally have sugar. Its not passion fruit pulp, its HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP or to lesser extent beet sugar, though must be 100s of names for sugars to try and obfuscate ingredient label. Also dont know if you have visited grocery store in last few decades but whole fruit is not cheap, neither is raw produce in general. Grain and grain based products including HFCS is SUPER CHEAP in comparison.
Exactly, it's not the sugar itself that causes you to pig out, it's the fact that there is no fiber and these foods are high in processed carbs and fats. Something that you repeatedly fail to mention. There is not one study in existence that shows humans are addicted to HFCS or sugar. If we were addicted to just sugar we would bebuying huge bags of sugar and eating it straight from the bag. Again, look at a glazed donut. 53% of the calories come from processed carbs and over 40% come from processed fats.

Quote:
Whole grains did not tell my brain to stop eating when full. You rarely see processed fats without SUGAR or STARCH added. You have your agenda and food beliefs. Some of us simply dont get the FULL signal from eating high carb diet, whether processed or natural. My body has no problem getting full signal when I limit ALL carbs to 100 grams.
Whatever whole grains you were eating apparently weren't very high in the satiety index then. Again, nowhere not even once have I advocated that anyone should be eating high carb. There is no agenda here, I am simply pointing out your false claims.

For the thousandth time it is a combination of processed fats, processed carbs, refined sugar, refined starches, sodium and no fiber that causes people to overconsume these foods. There is not one macronutrient that will magically cause you to over eat a food.

Quote:
Now a question for you, WHAT is the benefit of this high carb "natural" diet you think everybody should eat? Why do you think you need more than 200g of carbs per day? Own stock in General Mills?
And again, I never said people should be on a HIGH carb diet. I said a MODERATE carb diet. And as evidence low carb is not superior to moderate carb. I would consider moderate about 25%-40% of total caloric intake.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25007189/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss