Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 06:26 PM

346 posts, read 358,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husband is on this 7 days now his BS levels are at their lowest. Example today his BS was 105. He is type 2 diabetic.
He eats meat, fish, green veggies, salads with grilled chicken O/V dressing and cheese. Drinks 1 cup coffee black in the am and a cup of green tea at night. He eats one small orange a day as well. He cannot eat the other fruits recommended like strawberries because he can't have the seeds. I am very proud of his will power to stick with this. He needs to loose at least 100 lbs. I can already see a difference in his face that he has lost some weight. Not all diets work the same for everyone. I also don't believe in all the BS that doctors proclaim about what diet is good or bad. I plan to try this after new years as I am not in the mindset yet. I need to loose at least 50 lbs.
I have been on the Keto diet for four years. I lost 45 lbs in my first year and have been able to keep it off. I cut out all sugar and white flour. I did not change my eating things like potatoes that we grow in our garden, only processed foods. I ate no fruit except apples as they were low sugar. It took a while to get in a groove, but now it's a habit. My doctor was not on board with the diet, but after he saw my weight loss and my remarkable blood numbers he said he'd have to give it another look. Remember doctors are like financial advisors they only suggest your next move, the final decision is yours to make. Do some research there's lots of good information out there. GL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 09:38 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,411,051 times
Keto Symptoms? My husband has not had any so far and he's on week 2. now that I am thinking about it he may not being doing full on Keto. He is basically eating a low carb high protein diet. Very similar to Dr. Now diet on my 600 Lb. life. also not eating processed foods. I think he may cheat on Christmas day and have a piece of his mom's lasagna but other than that he's been very strict. Everything I am making for Christmas eve will be low carb. I am even substituting almond flour in my Swedish meatballs instead of bread crumbs. It only calls for 1/4 cup.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:38 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I think keto is too extreme. I don't see how it can be healthy in the long run, though it does work and won't kill you for short term weight loss. I looked at keto and paleo and other newfangled diets and decided "I'm just going to cut way back on excess carbs" but not get all crazy about it. I wanted something I could maintain long enough to lose at least 10 pounds, and to reduce my portion sizes before i start adding back in carbs.

I ate a lot of unnecessary carbs. Oatmeal (not a bad carb) every day, bread for lunch every day (often 2 sandwiches because grains don't fill me), fruit or sweetened yogurt in the afternoon, pasta and other high carb foods numerous nights per week (and lots of them, because they don't fill me), cereal or bagels (often both, because they don't fill me) as a late night snack.

I cut out all of that except I will have one fruit and or some berries. I also have veggies with my eggs and sausage or bacon, I switched to plain greek yogurt, no pasta dinners, and no cereal. I'll still have a bagel in the evening, often with butter, and if I'm still hungry a little cheese. Eating a lot more vegetables at every meal to fill me, lots of nuts, and a lot more meat than I really want to.

I still had some keto symptoms at first, headaches and the most awful full-leg muscle spasm I've ever had that hurt for days afterward. I'm not measuring but I'm sure I'm in the 100 grams a day range for carbs, but thats a lot less than before.

I don't want to eat this way forever but its working. I've lost at least 5 lbs in 21 days and can feel my stomach muscles again lol

Agreed, at the end of the day the mechanism behind all these diets is the same. You are cutting calories. One is not better than the other. If you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight. It's what works best for you. I lost 30 pounds simply by going from high carb to moderate carb.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:50 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
I have been on the Keto diet for four years. I lost 45 lbs in my first year and have been able to keep it off. I cut out all sugar and white flour. I did not change my eating things like potatoes that we grow in our garden, only processed foods. I ate no fruit except apples as they were low sugar. It took a while to get in a groove, but now it's a habit. My doctor was not on board with the diet, but after he saw my weight loss and my remarkable blood numbers he said he'd have to give it another look. Remember doctors are like financial advisors they only suggest your next move, the final decision is yours to make. Do some research there's lots of good information out there. GL

There is information out there that will support just about anything people want to believe. On the subject of diet (and politics) its especially difficult to sort the good information from the bad. I just don't think the long term safety of a keto diet is well studied enough.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:32 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,755 times
Quote:
There is information out there that will support just about anything people want to believe. On the subject of diet (and politics) its especially difficult to sort the good information from the bad. I just don't think the long term safety of a keto diet is well studied enough.
The difference with nutritional studies is depending on the subject you are able to obtain meta-analysis studies to assess evidence. It's not just one study to support a view point. You can't do that with politics.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:38 AM

346 posts, read 358,361 times
Quote:
There are 100's of doctors who support the Keto or LCHF diet. I first discovered the idea through reading a book on the Atkins Diet. It changed my life. The most profound changes were simply from cutting out sugar, most fruit, flour and grains. The sugar is the biggie though as it is addictive and a hard habit to break.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:03 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
There are 100's of doctors who support the Keto or LCHF diet. I first discovered the idea through reading a book on the Atkins Diet. It changed my life. The most profound changes were simply from cutting out sugar, most fruit, flour and grains. The sugar is the biggie though as it is addictive and a hard habit to break.

I only said that the long term effects are not well studied. Nobody doubts it can help a person lose weight. But so apparently can other, less extreme approaches that may be safer and healthier.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:35 PM

My husband has lost 10 pounds so far.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husband has lost 10 pounds so far.
Good luck, I've lost 40 lbs on Keto and still mainly on keto more than a year now. It's not an easy diet to follow but it just works so well.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Good luck, I've lost 40 lbs on Keto and still mainly on keto more than a year now. It's not an easy diet to follow but it just works so well.
Thanks his Blood sugar was 87 this morning, the lowest it has been in 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss