Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 07:52 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have done a diet somewhere between keto atkins (too low protein for atkins, too low in fat for keto) for 2 years nowand I've never been healther...I'm in my 50s. I have followed pretty much any meal plan you can think of (weight watchers/slim fast/medi-fast, low fat, counting calories, etc).

Basically, I do not eat processed food or sugar. No white flour. Typically, I'm eating eggs, nuts, olive oil, avocados, lots of non-starchy veggies, meat, seafood, and my "sweets" are berries and melons. I may go off for special occasions, but I end up feeling terrible and regret it.

I do drink alcohol, but it's a vodka and soda or a glass of a wine.

I think most eating plans require you to think about food too much, whether it be counting calories, fat, points, etc. And that makes me hungry.

I also think that the processed stuff, especially sugar, is addictive. I think most people would love to still eat junk and be healthy. It isn't until you realize that it's not possible that you get healthy.
^^ I think your way of eating makes a lot of sense--and will keep you healthy. I've just started eating this way and I'm losing weight and have more energy. Started back to the gym after 14 months of Covid hiatus. Feels great to work my muscles again--sleeping better, too.

My fasting blood glucose was rising and I'm sure too many processed carbs were the cause. We love pasta and certain white flour items like croissants...but controlling my eating of them is my new game plan and I'm determined. And losing the Covid belly will be a wonderful side benefit...

Here's to your good health!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 08:01 AM

Processed white carbs are evil. And our body doesn't need them. Low or missing nutrients and cause blood sugar spikes. Result? Obesity and/or diabetes.

Moderate eating of complex carbs? Different story. Not evil.

The Dolphin has spoken.

You're welcome.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
A relative of ours, obese, diabetic (blood sugar >600) was admitted to a hospital. The fed him pasta, mashed potatoes, corn and bread for his meals. I asked a nurse about this, why wasn’t he getting a diabetic menu? She said he was getting the standard diabetic menu that the hospital nutritionist approved.
OMG, that's killing someone with a fork and spoon. So sad.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:50 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
High fat low carb diets studies are showing that they cause an increase in CAC (Coronary artery calcium) scoring which could lead to heart attacks. Although obesity also leads to heart attacks for me since I have a family history of Coronary heart disease I avoid high fat proteins. I'm still able to lose weight also lowering my daily calories below 1000. I think have to take into consideration your family history what type of diet you want to use.

https://kahn642.medium.com/accelerat...y-791b0d6ba00c

Old 07-17-2021, 01:18 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
High fat low carb diets studies are showing that they cause an increase in CAC (Coronary artery calcium) scoring which could lead to heart attacks. Although obesity also leads to heart attacks for me since I have a family history of Coronary heart disease I avoid high fat proteins. I'm still able to lose weight also lowering my daily calories below 1000. I think have to take into consideration your family history what type of diet you want to use.

https://kahn642.medium.com/accelerat...y-791b0d6ba00c
The author is a plant-base person. No wonder he hates Keto.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The author is a plant-base person. No wonder he hates Keto.
Most people don't want to take the time to read, or understand the scientific data that is presented in these studies I posted something I found that described it better in laymen terms. The author only referring to these studies.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.120.314838

Conclusion from the study I linked below
"LCDs starting at a young age are associated with an increased risk of subsequent CAC progression, particularly when animal protein or fat are chosen to replace carbohydrates."

Old 07-17-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Most people don't want to take the time to read, or understand the scientific data that is presented in these studies I posted something I found that described it better in laymen terms. The author only referring to these studies.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.120.314838

Conclusion from the study I linked below
"LCDs starting at a young age are associated with an increased risk of subsequent CAC progression, particularly when animal protein or fat are chosen to replace carbohydrates."
Post whatever you want. Won't change my mind because I get great results. If something else works for you, congratulations. Why attack things you don't agree with? I can find studies that show strawberries are bad for you, if I wanted to. Plant-base people hate anything that involve animal meat. Plain and simple. Those people saying Keto is bad is like the Nazis saying Jewish people are bad. I am happy with my low-carb diet but you will never see me attacking vegan people or their diet.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Post whatever you want. Won't change my mind because I get great results. If something else works for you, congratulations. Why attack things you don't agree with? I can find studies that show strawberries are bad for you, if I wanted to. Plant-base people hate anything that involve animal meat. Plain and simple. Those people saying Keto is bad is like the Nazis saying Jewish people are bad. I am happy with my low-carb diet but you will never see me attacking vegan people or their diet.
The thread was about Keto diet ranked bad by Dietitians & Physicians. I was posting a study that backs up their reasons. Doctors use evidence based medicine 15 year study showed CAC scores going up not down in people who follow a high fat low carb diets. I said because I have a family history of CAD I do not follow a high fat low carb diet. I really don't want to get Stents, or bypass surgery. The study I posted was from AHA (American Heart Associations) I think they know something about CAD.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
The thread was about Keto diet ranked bad by Dietitians & Physicians. I was posting a study that backs up their reasons. Doctors use evidence based medicine 15 year study showed CAC scores going up not down in people who follow a high fat low carb diets. I said because I have a family history of CAD I do not follow a high fat low carb diet. I really don't want to get Stents, or bypass surgery. The study I posted was from AHA (American Heart Associations) I think they know something about CAD.
The integrity of the AHA is questionable. They are paid large sums of money from pharmaceutical companies including those who make statin drugs. Many people get off the meds after being on Keto. Pharmas are not happy. Their income suffers. They rely on the AHA to spread misinformation. I would not trust the medical establishment with anything.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/health-news_b_4398304

https://steemit.com/health/@scubaste...-to-big-pharma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1vBA9bLNk

Old 07-18-2021, 03:14 AM

Quote:
The integrity of the AHA is questionable. They are paid large sums of money from pharmaceutical companies including those who make statin drugs. Many people get off the meds after being on Keto. Pharmas are not happy. Their income suffers. They rely on the AHA to spread misinformation. I would not trust the medical establishment with anything.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/health-news_b_4398304

https://steemit.com/health/@scubaste...-to-big-pharma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1vBA9bLNk
Your video didn't work but I'm just passing on some data I trust medicine because more then once a medical doctor such as a cardiologist has saved family members, and friends lives. Maybe someone wanting to do a Keto diet they can get their CAC score the test is easy and quick CT scan lot of places offer it. If don't have lot of build up then decide what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss