Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 05:27 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Source:
https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/2020...verall-of-2020

Jan. 2, 2020 -- For the third year in a row, the Mediterranean diet has been named the best diet overall in the U.S. News & World Report annual rankings.

In 2018, the Mediterranean diet shared top honors with the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet. Both focus on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. The ketogenic diet, one of the most popular, again fared well in the annual survey, but only in the fast weight loss category. Overall, it was not rated highly.
In general US Dieticians and Physicians have been taught horrible nutrition and then pass on that bad advice resulting in Americans being the fattest, most out of shape, and unhealthy people on the planet....I've learned to distrust them after they almost killed me with their bad advice.

I've followed great advice provided by Dr. Gundry who followed the advice he was given by "Dieticians and Physicians" which was propelling him into the grave and then he got serious and learned proper nutrition. I've followed his recommendations (mostly) for 5 years and all of my previously bad issues of Diabetes, high triglycerides, high cholesterol, big belly, high BP, etc. have been fixed entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 07:12 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
The ketogenic diet, one of the most popular, again fared well in the annual survey, but only in the fast weight loss category. Overall, it was not rated highly.
Not really news. It's well known that Keto is the generally the best diet for those that are obese and have struggled their entire lives with obesity, type II diabetes etc. Many of these people have tried every other diet solution under the sun and they have failed them. But Keto is not really a longterm diet for the average person who is 20-30 pounds over weight. But for those who have spent a lifetime obese or with type II diabetes, Keto could be a good longterm diet for them.

I'm still doing Keto but since I fall into the category of 20-30 pounds over weight (not now but when I started 3 months ago) and am not diabetic or have other dietary health issues, I likely will not stick with Keto long-term. I am much more interested in intermittent fasting combined with just a generally more rounded and healthy diet.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:03 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Your video didn't work but I'm just passing on some data I trust medicine because more then once a medical doctor such as a cardiologist has saved family members, and friends lives. Maybe someone wanting to do a Keto diet they can get their CAC score the test is easy and quick CT scan lot of places offer it. If don't have lot of build up then decide what you want to do.
You can watch the video on YouTube. It will help undo years of bad information by the medical establishment. It will open a person's eyes to a new world that's beyond the one controlled by big pharmaceutical companies. It's interesting that you mention "a medical doctor such as a cardiologist". I am aware of dozens of cardiologists who, after years of following the SAD (standard American diet) and failed to help their patients, switched to low-carb and saw vast improvement in their patients' health.

Bret Scher, cardiologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7I2p7dTLeI

Nadir Ali, cardiologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqrFbFPJyE

Jason Kaplan, cardiologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAFg_W-TqXg

Old 07-18-2021, 08:25 AM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You can watch the video on YouTube. It will help undo years of bad information by the medical establishment. It will open a person's eyes to a new world that's beyond the one controlled by big pharmaceutical companies. It's interesting that you mention "a medical doctor such as a cardiologist". I am aware of dozens of cardiologists who, after years of following the SAD (standard American diet) and failed to help their patients, switched to low-carb and saw vast improvement in their patients' health.

Bret Scher, cardiologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7I2p7dTLeI

Nadir Ali, cardiologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqrFbFPJyE

Jason Kaplan, cardiologist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAFg_W-TqXg
None of those videos said a high saturated fat low carb diet will not raise your CAC score. Doctor Kaplin is talking about a low carb diet he said nothing about a high saturated fat low carb diet like Keto. I agree with him that everyone should get a CAC score before taking a stantin drug. Stantin drugs work but is over prescribed with little investigation if someone needs it. Some people do need it that have a family history and have a high CAC score. Diabetes can be controlled with a low carb diet never heard a doctor tell a diabetic to eat lot of carbs. New guidelines also agree with him as well in prescribing Stantin's.

"The new cholesterol guideline states: “If CAC is zero, treatment with statin therapy may be withheld or delayed, except in cigarette smokers, those with diabetes mellitus, and those with a strong family history of premature ASCVD. A CAC score of 1 to 99 favors statin therapy, especially in those ≥55 years of age. For any patient, if the CAC score is ≥100 Agatston units or ≥75th percentile, statin therapy is indicated unless otherwise deferred by the outcome of clinician-patient risk discussion.”"
https://scct.org/news/427405/New-gui...om-statins.htm

Old 07-18-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
None of those videos said a high saturated fat low carb diet will not raise your CAC score. Doctor Kaplin is talking about a low carb diet he said nothing about a high saturated fat low carb diet like Keto. I agree with him that everyone should get a CAC score before taking a stantin drug. Stantin drugs work but is over prescribed with little investigation if someone needs it. Some people do need it that have a family history and have a high CAC score. Diabetes can be controlled with a low carb diet never heard a doctor tell a diabetic to eat lot of carbs. New guidelines also agree with him as well in prescribing Stantin's.

"The new cholesterol guideline states: “If CAC is zero, treatment with statin therapy may be withheld or delayed, except in cigarette smokers, those with diabetes mellitus, and those with a strong family history of premature ASCVD. A CAC score of 1 to 99 favors statin therapy, especially in those ≥55 years of age. For any patient, if the CAC score is ≥100 Agatston units or ≥75th percentile, statin therapy is indicated unless otherwise deferred by the outcome of clinician-patient risk discussion.”"
Their point and my point is that low-carb diets are a healthy way to eat too. That's the big picture. The so-called "study" you posted by the AHA has no relevance to me, none whatsoever. They did not make the videos to respond to you or your so-called "AHA study". If you need someone to agree with you and pat you on the back, I am not that person. I don't trust the AHA anymore than I can trust big pharmas.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Their point and my point is that low-carb diets are a healthy way to eat too. That's the big picture. The so-called "study" you posted by the AHA has no relevance to me, none whatsoever. They did not make the videos to respond to you or your so-called "AHA study". If you need someone to agree with you and pat you on the back, I am not that person. I don't trust the AHA anymore than I can trust big pharmas.
I agree low carb diets are healthy getting back to the point of this thread is a high saturated fat low carb diet is not good because a 15 year study showed it raises your CAC scoring. Could lead to a early demise.

The problem isn't low carb its the high saturated fat part. One can eat low carb without the high saturated fats Keto diet calls for.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I agree low carb diets are healthy getting back to the point of this thread is a high saturated fat low carb diet is not good because a 15 year study showed it raises your CAC scoring. Could lead to a early demise.

The problem isn't low carb its the high saturated fat part. One can eat low carb without the high saturated fats Keto diet calls for.
If you want to indulge in this imaginary nonsense, have at it. I am done wasting my time.

Old 07-18-2021, 01:19 PM

I said everyone should make their own choice what diet they like, but its a good idea to know what your CAC score. The odd thing is CAC score testing insurance doesn't pay for it they are happy to pay for stress testing which cost lot more. Stress testing only shows a problem when you get to 70% blocked.

Old 07-18-2021, 01:30 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Dr. Eric Westman of Duke University, has studied or treated 65,000 patients with cardiac and diabetic issues and all improved while losing weight.

The science and evidence prove the Keto diet is saving lives and getting people off medication and saving them from surgery.

If Keto were a medication, Dr. Westman asserts, there's enough evidence and case studies to make it FDA approved.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:18 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:

Go back and scroll the video to 25:50. The 65 year old patient who showed so much improvement, the diet was LCHF diet. That is "low carb high fat".

So yes, he is talking about a high fat diet, but you mis-worded it as "high saturated fat" diet. NOBODY is recommending high amounts of saturated fats. His chart showed that fat and polyunsaturated fats had lower rates of mortality and heart disease. You have misrepresented it as "high saturated fat".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss