Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 08:18 PM

285 posts, read 204,206 times

Advertisements

I'm no doctor but I think what you're seeing in those short spans in hours (1 day over another) and differences in your weight is water weight and not over any fat loss. I wouldn't stress over the rolls and fancy bread that you had. They sound delicious!

I was on a ketogenic diet for three years and found myself shrinking to a corpse and when I found I could poke my fingers through my ribs in my back a few cm I decided to change things up a little. I wasn't fat to begin with but I had a few pounds. What pushed me to live the keto lifestyle was growing concerns I had over my sugar intake and didn't want to find myself diabetic in later years. I'd punished my body enough in my early years with a lot of sugar and frankly, it was still functioning remarkably well. I just wanted a change. After a few years, I grew to dislike my body while I was 'keto' or living that lifestyle. It sure was a fun ride though. I learned a lot of hacks, tips, suggestions, new recipes and ways of eating and preparing food. I still eat a low sugar, low carb diet but it's not as harsh or severe. I just don't need it.

The bread thing.. love the title. I love bread but in moderation. I'll have a slice and then I won't eat any for a month or so. I prefer potatoes, rice vermicelli, quinoa in small quantities. They don't seem to bloat me as much and I don't have such a problem digesting. Absolutely no to regular pasta unless it's some major occasion. That stuff is deadly and my body just doesn't know what to do with it.

Good for you or anyone sticking to a healthy lifestyle or healthy eating habits.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:38 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
NET CARB MYTH
Do you know where the net carb concept actually came from? Most people don't. The source is Dr. Michael Eades of PROTEIN POWER fame in Cape Town, South Africa.
In 2015 this low-carb stalwart issued a public mea culpa for what he described as his "ding" on the keto community.

His original intent was for subtracting fiber from real foods like raspberries to allow greater flexibility in foods choices as well as making better food quality picks for low-carbers. But what it turned into was a marketing opportunity for companies to push junk food under the guise of it being lower-carb. Whether it's net carbs, effective carbs, or however else they try to push it on the public, the only way to be intellectually honest about your own personal carb tolerance level is to count ALL carbohydrates.

FIBER DOES NOT CANCEL OUT CARBS
On Nutrition Facts food labels, the grams of dietary fiber are already included in the total carbohydrate count. But because fiber is a type of carbohydrate that your body can’t digest, it does not affect your blood sugar levels. You should subtract the grams of fiber from the total carbohydrate.
https://dtc.ucsf.edu/living-with-dia...tanding-fiber/

Old 10-23-2020, 12:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
For many people the carbohydrates from bread and gluten act like "zombie" carbohydrates. A calorie from one food item is not the same as another food item, regardless of what anyone tells you. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and results in a myriad of negative health implications for a sizable percentage of the population, regardless if you don't have direct deleterious reactions like Celiac Disease gluten intolerance.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:54 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
This "bread" that you are eating, are you making it with your own hands? What are the ingredients, exactly? More than four?
Even if you make it with your own hands it can have the same effect. My favorite bread recipe just uses white flour, yeast, sugar and salt. It's wonderful when it's still warm from the oven, with a nice, crunchy crust- but it's not good for me.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:47 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
I don't eat much bread at all (also not on a low carb diet either). I just measure calories and portions. The reasons I shy away from bread is that it is very calorically dense. I'd rather have, say, a huge bowl of watermelon for 80 calories versus one tiny slice of Dave's Killer Thin slice that is 70 calories and hardly anything there. But I do love it but am well aware of what it does to my daily calorie intake.

I think if you generally don't eat a lot of carbs, then when you do, you can get that "water" effect within your cells and that can be part of it. But you also had 3 days of eating some sort of bread. Based on your usual caloric intake and how close to the edge of maintenance you are (that's where I am--I get very little calories in life to maintain my weight unfortunately), three days of bread eating would actually cause a weight bump for me. I know, I know it wasn't an extra 3500 calories but I don't seem to gain or lose strictly to that formula. The bialy was probably very calorically dense. I also think anytime you eat out at Panera, especially when dining indoors because I swear they give you larger servings that what they put in their carryout containers, I think Panera really underestimates their caloric intakes. So overall, with the bread and a few days of eating out, combined may have tipped you past a good caloric intake whether your count them or not.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:41 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't eat much bread at all (also not on a low carb diet either). I just measure calories and portions. The reasons I shy away from bread is that it is very calorically dense. I'd rather have, say, a huge bowl of watermelon for 80 calories versus one tiny slice of Dave's Killer Thin slice that is 70 calories and hardly anything there. But I do love it but am well aware of what it does to my daily calorie intake.

I think if you generally don't eat a lot of carbs, then when you do, you can get that "water" effect within your cells and that can be part of it. But you also had 3 days of eating some sort of bread. Based on your usual caloric intake and how close to the edge of maintenance you are (that's where I am--I get very little calories in life to maintain my weight unfortunately), three days of bread eating would actually cause a weight bump for me. I know, I know it wasn't an extra 3500 calories but I don't seem to gain or lose strictly to that formula. The bialy was probably very calorically dense. I also think anytime you eat out at Panera, especially when dining indoors because I swear they give you larger servings that what they put in their carryout containers, I think Panera really underestimates their caloric intakes. So overall, with the bread and a few days of eating out, combined may have tipped you past a good caloric intake whether your count them or not.
Possibly, but not nearly 10K calories. I am really very conscious about exactly everything I eat. And the weight has gone back down after several days of NOT eating bread. I didn't have "a few days" of eating out, either, but another good point is that I feel the water weight gain if I do eat out because restaurants use more salt than I do. I know that tomato soup from Panera had to be loaded with salt.

Bialy is around 200 calories.

Anyway, that was my fun with bread for a while. Back to fish and vegetables, lots and lots of vegetables!

Old 10-24-2020, 10:37 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Possibly, but not nearly 10K calories. I am really very conscious about exactly everything I eat. And the weight has gone back down after several days of NOT eating bread. I didn't have "a few days" of eating out, either, but another good point is that I feel the water weight gain if I do eat out because restaurants use more salt than I do. I know that tomato soup from Panera had to be loaded with salt.

Bialy is around 200 calories.

Anyway, that was my fun with bread for a while. Back to fish and vegetables, lots and lots of vegetables!
I agree with you, you didn't eat 10K extra calories!!! Sorry if I misunderstood your days of eating out. I was reading this part which sounded like 3 days:

Quote:
On Saturday, I was with my sisters and we ordered salads (well, one sister got a stromboli) and the salads came with a roll. I ate the roll.

On Sunday, my friend brought me scrambled eggs and lox and bialys with cream cheese. I ate a bialy.

Yesterday, I went to Panera and asked for an apple with my Pick Two soup and salad. The woman accidentally gave me bread instead of the apple, and when I pointed out the mistake, she gave me an apple but said she could not take the bread back. I ate the bread (and it was very good).
I just viewed Sunday's stuff as being brought in from somewhere versus fixed at home because in my area of the world very few people would be able to homecook bialys. I haven't had a bialy in years because they barely have them here but way back in the 1990s, there was this place that had bialy sandwiches right when I got off the Metro (DC). OMG, those were so good but they were very big and decadent and probably not the standard bialy which is why I jumped to the conclusion that the one you ate might be calorically high.

I think then I'd have to agree that something about eating refined carbs, bread especially, creates a water retention situation for you. It might do the same thing for me if I ate a few small pieces for some consecutive days. It's just so tough when you've been working so hard and you see that scale go upward for no reason that you can figure out.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:49 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree with you, you didn't eat 10K extra calories!!! Sorry if I misunderstood your days of eating out. I was reading this part which sounded like 3 days:

I just viewed Sunday's stuff as being brought in from somewhere versus fixed at home because in my area of the world very few people would be able to homecook bialys. I haven't had a bialy in years because they barely have them here but way back in the 1990s, there was this place that had bialy sandwiches right when I got off the Metro (DC). OMG, those were so good but they were very big and decadent and probably not the standard bialy which is why I jumped to the conclusion that the one you ate might be calorically high.

I think then I'd have to agree that something about eating refined carbs, bread especially, creates a water retention situation for you. It might do the same thing for me if I ate a few small pieces for some consecutive days. It's just so tough when you've been working so hard and you see that scale go upward for no reason that you can figure out.
OK, I was only considering the Panera "eating out". We ordered salads to be delivered the first day, and the last day my friend made the eggs and brought them with the baked salmon and lox (salty stuff, though) over to my house because she has work going on at hers.

No, it was a normal sized bialy. Very tasty and a lot smaller than a bagel.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:13 PM

5,149 posts, read 3,078,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
NET CARB MYTH
Do you know where the net carb concept actually came from? Most people don't. The source is Dr. Michael Eades of PROTEIN POWER fame in Cape Town, South Africa.
In 2015 this low-carb stalwart issued a public mea culpa for what he described as his "ding" on the keto community.

His original intent was for subtracting fiber from real foods like raspberries to allow greater flexibility in foods choices as well as making better food quality picks for low-carbers. But what it turned into was a marketing opportunity for companies to push junk food under the guise of it being lower-carb. Whether it's net carbs, effective carbs, or however else they try to push it on the public, the only way to be intellectually honest about your own personal carb tolerance level is to count ALL carbohydrates.

FIBER DOES NOT CANCEL OUT CARBS
If the fiber isn’t digested, how is it a “carb” to the body’s metabolism?

Old 10-31-2020, 09:11 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Bread is definitely gorgelicious.............I could and have eaten vatfuls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss