Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 09:09 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

I'm not on a "low-carb" diet, but I've lost 27 pounds this year by changing the way I eat after my blood sugar went too high. (Sorta Mediterranean on doc recommendation; i.e., lots more fish and vegetables, limited meat and dairy, cutting out sugar.)

I also came to realize that eating bread every day puts weight on. Bread is delicious. I love bread, just as I love cookies and ice cream and peanut M&Ms, but those things make me fat and my blood sugar rocket.

But, once in a while I do have bread, and when I do, I notice that in the next couple of days, my weight goes up beyond what the actual calories in the bread would warrant.

On Saturday, I was with my sisters and we ordered salads (well, one sister got a stromboli) and the salads came with a roll. I ate the roll.

On Sunday, my friend brought me scrambled eggs and lox and bialys with cream cheese. I ate a bialy.

Yesterday, I went to Panera and asked for an apple with my Pick Two soup and salad. The woman accidentally gave me bread instead of the apple, and when I pointed out the mistake, she gave me an apple but said she could not take the bread back. I ate the bread (and it was very good).

So, over the past three days, I had a roll, a bialy, and a hunk of whatever bread that was that Panera gave me.'

And today I weigh a pound and a half more.

Now weight fluctuates each day, usually a percentage of a pound, sometimes actually a whole pound, but a pound and a half is rare. I can only figure that the bread intake has something to do with this. Is it the salt content of the bread? Yeast blowing me up? What?

I've noticed this happen before, say, when I very occasionally have pizza. I'll weigh more in the next few days after I have some type of bread even though calorie intake is the same.

Now I won't have bread again for a while, and I expect that I'll go down again. It's just weird. Can anyone explain why this happens?

Old 10-20-2020, 01:51 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
I noticed the same thing with bread, ice cream. I have been doing keto, but once I ate a piece of bread instead of the low carb tortilla to put my egg and bacon on and I swear I gained a pound lol. I have also noticed if I go and eat chinese food even with no rice just veggies and meat I gain. I told my husband look I weigh 3 pounds more after the chinese food and he doesnot gain at all. Of course he will eat whole pizzas, spaghetti fast food and still not gain..so go figure. The only thing I can attribute it to is I am eating things i normally don't eat. I try not to eat, bread, crackers, pasta (i eat the pasta zero that is in a bag with liquid that is in the produce area), no chips, candy, soda drinks.

I lost 25 pounds on keto 2 years ago and have kept it off, but if I slip up with a piece of bread or piece of pizza, I notice.

I don't know what the answer is.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I noticed the same thing with bread, ice cream. I have been doing keto, but once I ate a piece of bread instead of the low carb tortilla to put my egg and bacon on and I swear I gained a pound lol. I have also noticed if I go and eat chinese food even with no rice just veggies and meat I gain. I told my husband look I weigh 3 pounds more after the chinese food and he doesnot gain at all. Of course he will eat whole pizzas, spaghetti fast food and still not gain..so go figure. The only thing I can attribute it to is I am eating things i normally don't eat. I try not to eat, bread, crackers, pasta (i eat the pasta zero that is in a bag with liquid that is in the produce area), no chips, candy, soda drinks.

I lost 25 pounds on keto 2 years ago and have kept it off, but if I slip up with a piece of bread or piece of pizza, I notice.

I don't know what the answer is.
Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Never was a pasta person, so I can easily live without that. I can live without bread for the most part, and if I am going to eat it, I am only going to eat GOOD bread. It just so happened that good bread crossed my path three days in a row.

I am watching as part of the experiment to see what happens now after a few days with NO bread. After three days of having bread each day, I weighed 2.5 pounds more. Now after one day without bread, I am down a pound. We'll see what tomorrow brings, and I'll be sure to report.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:21 PM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Bread (carbs) retain water. That could be the answer.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:05 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Bread (carbs) retain water. That could be the answer.
It would have to be that for the effect to be that immediate. For the most part, I've sworn off of rice, bread, pasta (other than that made from chickpeas or edamame) and potatoes. I've added in 2 slices of a bread brand called Food for Life, in the grocery store freezer section. Expensive but it's just me and not a house full of hungry teenagers, so it doesn't break the budget. They have a couple of varieties that are brown, seedy and crunchy- just the way I like bread. Non-GMO and all that good stuff. I just toast it and sprinkle it with cinnamon (but not sugar). It hadn't affected my weight so it may be whatever is in the breads you're eating or you may have different body chemistry.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:22 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
If you think about bread, and learn about gluten, you can see where it's not a good thing to be putting in your body. Gluten is a gummy, cloggy material, and not the kind of thing you want to be leaving in your body (especially the colon / intestines). Plus, bread has zero nutritional value. It's just something to find alternatives too. You can roll food in corn tortillas, crispy lettuce, etc., and find tasty and healthier approaches.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If you think about bread, and learn about gluten, you can see where it's not a good thing to be putting in your body. Gluten is a gummy, cloggy material, and not the kind of thing you want to be leaving in your body (especially the colon / intestines). Plus, bread has zero nutritional value. It's just something to find alternatives too. You can roll food in corn tortillas, crispy lettuce, etc., and find tasty and healthier approaches.
I know all that. My adult daughter has been gluten intolerant since she was a teenager, long before most other people had ever heard of it.

I think you missed the part where I have NOT been eating bread except rarely for the past six months. I don't need alternatives. I'm good.

The entire premise of this thread is that I ate one serving of bread per day for three days, and I gained 2.5 pounds, and I wanted information on whether this happens to other people and why. That's it.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Plus, bread has zero nutritional value.
Well THIS^^^ is not necessary true.
Depends what kind of bread you eat. Did you check the nutrition label on Wonder bread?
https://miro.medium.com/max/1375/1*x..._1-ZtuIQw.jpeg
A long list of vitamins plus fiber. Admitted, all are artificial and made in China, but its an enriched bread and has nutritional value. Not something I would eat, but is locally liked.

I eat whole grain rye German bread. Rye has less gluten, whole grains are heathy and all vitamins are natural, nothing is stripped off and nothing is added. Only natural ingredients.
Five grain German bread is one of the healthiest.

The problem, in my opinion, is that Americans eat way too much bread. Sandwich bread has top and bottom. They aren't thin slices.
I eat only open face sandwich.
The ready cut bread is way too thick. Buns are huge.
I buy whole bread and cut thinner, myself. Don't eat white bread, and won't touch the popular toast bread - you're right, its tasteless like cardboard and has no value.

Generally, people eat too much starch for lunch and dinner. In most places bread accompany the meal. Seconds are requested, sometimes more than once. And the bread is often warm.
I don't eat any additional bread to my meals. And never warm.

So, the problem with gluten are eating habits.
Small amount of healthy bread is ok to eat, even healthy. But its important to make right bread choices and eat less of it.

I know that healthy bread is hard to get. I have the same problem.
But one brand is very popular in US - the Mestemacher.
It's widely available in most supermarkets, even Walmart sells it.
The bread is all natural, very healthy, nutritious, and sliced thin.
It's very dense, so one slice can actually make you feel full and satisfied. Great for weigh loss.
I doubt OP would gain weight eating it, in moderation.

No sugar - just imagine! Low fat and salt.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mestemach...mw_20326168011

It's an acquired taste but worth acquiring.

Last edited by elnina; 10-21-2020 at 11:31 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I ate one serving of bread per day for three days, and I gained 2.5 pounds, and I wanted information on whether this happens to other people and why. That's it.
Sorry for the distraction, OP, but back to your question - I don't know why you gained 2.5 lbs in 3 days.
It can't be just the bread, I imagine - but perhaps a combination of several contributors.
The "wrong" kind of bread, the gluten and salt - water retention. Something else you ate and that didn't interacted well. Perhaps less B&B on those days. Stress, less sleep maybe...
It's quite normal to experience some weight fluctuations, without any dietary changes, though.
https://www.livemint.com/Leisure/nze...luctuates.html

https://health.usnews.com/health-new...t-way-to-weigh

Old 10-22-2020, 01:21 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
Now with Keto bread I never noticed the weight gain as will regular carb bread. It doesn't taste all that great but I eat it toasted and will put thin piece of ham on it, then not too bad. It has 12 carbs but also 12 fiber...which cancels.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss