Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 08:42 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,020,469 times

Advertisements

You're preaching to the choir. It's such a struggle I'm about to give up. I have so many strikes against me; I'm very short, middle aged, I'm on antipsychotics for insomnia that cause weight gain (or trouble losing weight at least,) I live far out in the country so getting out to exercise is difficult if not impossible, I don't drive, and my wife is stuck at home and her only means of entertainment is going out to Mexican food I feel like I SHOULD have more willpower, but crap, I need some form of encouragement, somewhere! And not even my wife has any motivation at all and she has gained a lot of weight as well! Ugh. I know I need to do something. It doesn't seem worth it. Even losing one pound is so hard it seems impossible at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 10:03 AM

5,742 posts, read 4,353,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You're preaching to the choir. It's such a struggle I'm about to give up. I have so many strikes against me; I'm very short, middle aged, I'm on antipsychotics for insomnia that cause weight gain (or trouble losing weight at least,) I live far out in the country so getting out to exercise is difficult if not impossible, I don't drive, and my wife is stuck at home and her only means of entertainment is going out to Mexican food I feel like I SHOULD have more willpower, but crap, I need some form of encouragement, somewhere! And not even my wife has any motivation at all and she has gained a lot of weight as well! Ugh. I know I need to do something. It doesn't seem worth it. Even losing one pound is so hard it seems impossible at this point.

You cant hike, walk or ride out in the country? Thats the best place to do those things. I would never take antipsychotics for anything, let alone insomnia, they have even worse long term side effects than weight gain. Getting some exercise will help you sleep though.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:37 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,020,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
You cant hike, walk or ride out in the country? Thats the best place to do those things. I would never take antipsychotics for anything, let alone insomnia, they have even worse long term side effects than weight gain. Getting some exercise will help you sleep though.
Good thing you're not me because apparently you haven't struggled with intractable bipolar insomnia for 20 years and tried everything under the sun to combat it only to use these as a last resort. But thanks for your judgmental comment. I'll remember your stupid advice the next time I step on the scale

Old 12-24-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Good thing you're not me because apparently you haven't struggled with intractable bipolar insomnia for 20 years and tried everything under the sun to combat it only to use these as a last resort. But thanks for your judgmental comment. I'll remember your stupid advice the next time I step on the scale

You said insomnia, not intractable bipolar insomnia, so how am I supposed to know what you really meant? Nevertheless...when meds prevent you from doing what is necessary for good health...your drug may be your problem (and I'm not saying it is, just offering ideas since you seem to be in a quandary)

(also don't assume you are the only one with problems. I've had insomnia and other problems for decades and chose a certain path against them and refused others)

Last edited by Deserterer; 12-24-2020 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-25-2020, 02:22 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,193,555 times
Anyone else's diet all shot to...heck...after Christmas? Tomorrow is another day!

Responding to the insomniac poster, I agree that the country is the very best place to get in some steps, by the way. I SMH at people who claim they can't exercise except at a gym! Nearly anyone can take a walk from his or her house without even moving the car, assuming one lives in a fairly safe area.

Unfortunately, you can't outwalk the kind of calories I just took in.

Old 12-25-2020, 02:50 PM

10,413 posts, read 6,996,267 times
OP~ I just read your posts in your thread. A coupla things~

YOU ARE NOT FAT.

Your husband saying "He's going to leave you if you hit 150 lbs" is so manipulative, that I just will not address it.

At 5' 5" in height, you are right where you need to be. (144ish)

I still can't believe your husband said that to you. (If he thinks your weight is a reflection on him, he needs a swift kick in the ding-ding.) Sorry, this is just so WRONG, that I had to say something.

Eating the stuff you do, isn't a crime. If you want to lose weight, cut alcohol (and other drugs,) exercise, and practice portion control. Don't obsess over your weight. (After all, it's just a measurement of gravitational pull.) Drink water instead of vodka.

A more telling measurement would be your "BMI." And, even that has it's own issues.

You have a 4 and 6 year old. Instead of weight lifting, how about doing "in-home" yoga AND INCLUDE them. Make it fun for them. Teach them to "freeze" in position for a few seconds. Have them watch you hold a posture. Kids love doing this. It's also, how they learn.

Old 12-26-2020, 03:22 AM

19 posts, read 6,967 times
I have the opposite situation. I lost a little weight during quarantine in spring. I think it's because I had more time and I was more attentive to my nutrition. But at the end of the summer, I returned to my usual way of life, so I gained 7 kg and it’s too much for me.
But now it's a lockdown, and I plan to monitor my diet again. I liked my body in the summer, I want it back. But it’s difficult when your family continuing eating cakes, burgers, pasta and you just look at that and think “I want it too”. But despite this I try to do exercises and eat properly, although it’s difficult.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:22 PM

16,897 posts, read 8,569,313 times
Wow I wish I didn’t care about food.

Have not lost any weight.

Anyone have an example of a healthy weight loss diet?

I don’t think I could do one meal a day but I’m willing to try.

I still have some vodka most evenings but manage to not snack with it.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

Avoid weird ideas like eating 1 meal a day or diets with weird names. Simply reduce your carbohydrates to 100-150 grams a day. Eat whatever else you want and don't reduce your present activity level.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:28 PM

29,783 posts, read 34,555,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

Someone probably already suggested it, but download a food tracker app, and use it. Think of it like budgeting--you have X amount of calories a day to maintain your weight, and X minus Y to lose. Everything you eat gets deducted from your daily allowance. There isn't a magic diet that's going to solve all of your problems, other than a general awareness of fat, sugar, fiber, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss