Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 07:16 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Someone probably already suggested it, but download a food tracker app, and use it. Think of it like budgeting--you have X amount of calories a day to maintain your weight, and X minus Y to lose. Everything you eat gets deducted from your daily allowance. There isn't a magic diet that's going to solve all of your problems, other than a general awareness of fat, sugar, fiber, etc.
Keto may be currently trendy, but it actually works, and for good reason; carbs - especially sugars - are easily stored as fat when you eat more than you need for fuel; protein, not so much. And your carb count should be much lower than 100 grams a day if you're going for weight loss.

I also think fasting, within reason, is perfectly legitimate; the whole idea is for your body to run on the energy you have stored as fat and not on the fuel you're constantly taking in. Hence, you have to stop taking it in -- or take in significantly less -- to force your body to burn your fat stores.

Fleetibelle, your budget reminded me of the old Richard Simmons "Deal a Meal" kit; when all the cards have been switched from one side to the other, "you're done eating for the day!" Who's old enough to remember?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 07:28 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I guess i shouldnt be surprised I ended up with a husband who is critical of it as well. He has said before that if i get to 150 he's leaving.
Well, if you're looking to improve your life, that sounds like an easy way to lose 180 lbs (or more?) of stupid fat.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:32 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Well, if you're looking to improve your life, that sounds like an easy way to lose 180 lbs (or more?) of stupid fat.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:57 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Wow I wish I didn’t care about food.

Have not lost any weight.

Anyone have an example of a healthy weight loss diet?

I don’t think I could do one meal a day but I’m willing to try.

I still have some vodka most evenings but manage to not snack with it.
My first thought is YOU'RE FOCUSING WAAAAYYY TOO MUCH ON THE WEIGHT AND NOT ENOUGH ON HEALTHY HABITS! Focus on specific habits that have been mentioned here such as:

--Cutting out alcohol altogether or just having one or two drinks on holidays or special occasions.

--Fasting: I highly recommend this. I understand not being able to do one meal a day. But try this: Don't eat for at least 12 hours of your day. That means if you get up and eat at 7AM, you don't eat a thing other than water or other 0 calorie drinks after 7 PM the night before (at the latest). I often drink herbal (no caffeine in hibiscus tea) or green tea with lemon at night. I recently discovered those flavored seltzer waters. They're not as good as soda, but I discovered my craving for soda is often just a desire for something fizzy, so the flavored carbonated stuff is good enough and helps me cut back on my soda addiction.

--I learned to make several new healthy things during the pandemic. I became obsessed with making different soups. It's not that hard and they're so much better (and healthier) than anything you can buy in the store. I don't even have a proper large size soup pot. I just use my 2 biggest pots instead. It works fine.

I learned to make this easy, quick, and healthy sweet potato stir fry. If you serve it with a dollop of Greek yougurt on top and with a small portion of brown rice, you'll find it's quite filling--and delicious! I'd actually start with this one because I think it's the easiest and quickest. When you're starting new habits, you need a quick win.

https://tasty.co/recipe/sweet-potato-stir-fry

I also found that barley vegetable soup is really filling and not that many calories. And it tasted way better than I thought it would.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/vegetable-barley-soup/

I just made some Greek red lentil soup tonight and it was delicious--and not that difficult or time consuming.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com...l-soup-recipe/

I'm really finding that the Mediterranean style of cooking is really good for both health and weight. It's also sustainable in the long run because it tastes good to most people. The key is you don't go too heavy on the pasta or meat, but instead focus on meals that are heavy on vegetables, beans, and legumes. Also, stay away from the sugars and simple carbs (crackers, white rice, most breads, bagels, non-whole wheat pasta--and of course, junk food). Even with brown rice and whole wheat pasts, you should keep to smallish portions.

Above all, keep the focus on the healthy eating and exercise habits, and NOT on the weight. Measure your success by how well you're maintaining habits. (i.e. "I avoided drinking alcohol for the last week and have also consistently kept my eating/drinking within a 12 hour time window each day over the last week. I also learned to make a new healthy recipe that I like"). Consider examples like the above to be your sucesses, not weight loss.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-27-2020 at 11:08 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 08:36 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
My first thought is YOU'RE FOCUSING WAAAAYYY TOO MUCH ON THE WEIGHT AND NOT ENOUGH ON HEALTHY HABITS! Focus on specific habits that have been mentioned here such as:

--Cutting out alcohol altogether or just having one or two drinks on holidays or special occasions.

--Fasting: I highly recommend this. I understand not being able to do one meal a day. But try this: Don't eat for at least 12 hours of your day. That means if you get up and eat at 7AM, you don't eat a thing other than water or other 0 calorie drinks after 7 PM the night before (at the latest). I often drink herbal (no caffeine in hibiscus tea) or green tea with lemon at night. I recently discovered those flavored seltzer waters. They're not as good as soda, but I discovered my craving for soda is often just a desire for something fizzy, so the flavored carbonated stuff is good enough and helps me cut back on my soda addiction.

--I learned to make several new healthy things during the pandemic. I became obsessed with making different soups. It's not that hard and they're so much better (and healthier) than anything you can buy in the store. I don't even have a proper large size soup pot. I just use my 2 biggest pots instead. It works fine.

I learned to make this easy, quick, and healthy sweet potato stir fry. If you serve it with a dollop of Greek yougurt on top and with a small portion of brown rice, you'll find it's quite filling--and delicious! I'd actually start with this one because I think it's the easiest and quickest. When you're starting new habits, you need a quick win.

https://tasty.co/recipe/sweet-potato-stir-fry

I also found that barley vegetable soup is really filling and not that many calories. And it tasted way better than I thought it would.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/vegetable-barley-soup/

I just made some Greek red lentil soup tonight and it was delicious--and not that difficult or time consuming.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com...l-soup-recipe/

I'm really finding that the Mediterranean style of cooking is really good for both health and weight. It's also sustainable in the long run because it tastes good to most people. The key is you don't go too heavy on the pasta or meat, but instead focus on meals that are heavy on vegetables, beans, and legumes. Also, stay away from the sugars and simple carbs (crackers, white rice, most breads, bagels, non-whole wheat pasta--and of course, junk food). Even with brown rice and whole wheat pasts, you should keep to smallish portions.

Above all, keep the focus on the healthy eating and exercise habits, and NOT on the weight. Measure your success by how well you're maintaining habits. (i.e. "I avoided drinking alcohol for the last week and have also consistently kept my eating/drinking within a 12 hour time window each day over the last week. I also learned to make a new healthy recipe that I like"). Consider examples like the above to be your sucesses, not weight loss.

Too complicated for most people, and the goal IS weight loss. Though I think she should gain a few more pounds to get rid of the fathead husband first, then go about losing weight.

Some people do lose weight on the Mediterranean diet but some don't and some gain weight on t. I think its better as a healthy lifestyle choice for someone at the weight they want to be at than a weight loss diet. I tried it for a few weeks and didn't lose an ounce. By cutting way back on excessive carbs without going keto, I've lost a little over 5 lbs in 16 days and don't know for sure how much I lost the first 10 days before that when I didn't have a good scale but its probably safe to say 2-3 more.

The best thing about it is I'm rarely hungry now so I can eat just a few bites and be satisfied. Thats my main goal is simply to eat less when I reach my weight, rather than stick to some "diet" or another. Diets are very hard, and few can stick to them for very long.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
The easiest way to lose weight steadily without doing exercise is fasting. You don't have to eat just one meal a day but you can do the late lunch and dinner. I'm on a single meal a day but occasionally I eat lunch around 2:30-4pm. Then I have dinner at 7pm. By giving you body more time to digest your body burns more fat.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The easiest way to lose weight steadily without doing exercise is fasting. You don't have to eat just one meal a day but you can do the late lunch and dinner. I'm on a single meal a day but occasionally I eat lunch around 2:30-4pm. Then I have dinner at 7pm. By giving you body more time to digest your body burns more fat.
Really, fasting makes so much sense. Some of us say we just can't lose weight no matter what we do, but look at anorexics and victims of starvation; you have to admit that no amount of "insulin resistance" keeps them from losing weight -- ALL the weight! Of course you wouldn't take restricting your food intake to that extreme, but there is no doubt that just not eating works.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:21 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,233,962 times
Fasting does seem extreme and yes eating disorder does come to mind. Not saying anyone here has one just because they fasted. I will try the fasting thing. I do consider being aslee fasting lol. Are you saying that you maybe wouldn’t eat anything at all until 2pm or so? I’ve tried this but then probably made bad choices once I did start eating.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Fasting does seem extreme and yes eating disorder does come to mind. Not saying anyone here has one just because they fasted. I will try the fasting thing. I do consider being aslee fasting lol. Are you saying that you maybe wouldn’t eat anything at all until 2pm or so? I’ve tried this but then probably made bad choices once I did start eating.
16/8 is easy to do (although 24 hour is more effective). Stop eating after your evening meal at 6:00, then don't eat again until noon/lunch the next day; black coffee is fine. Easy because you're asleep for most of it! People have always fasted - in a controlled manner - for many different reasons; it isn't indicative of an ED.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:46 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,233,962 times
How long do you fast for? Or does that just become the way you eat? Not eating after 6pm until noon the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss