Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 06:29 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,347,834 times

Advertisements

[quote=sree251;60015488]It has nothing to do with loving to eat. We all love to eat and do eat what we love but not all end up being overweight or fat. Growing fat and being fat comes from a habitual way of life. Your daily life has change from when you were working at the office (120 pounds) to working from home now (140 and rising). You can't fight this by working out or restricting your food intake because it's like trying to push a heavy load uphill. It's too hard. Eventually, you will become fat just like the fat people you see. [quote]

This doesn't make any sense and its also wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 07:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,728,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My grandmother ate 3 meals a day and lived to be 94.

Maybe eating 3 meals a day has become dated for many. I used to not eat breakfast or I’d just have coffee. I just wasn’t hungry. Now that’s changed and I typically have an egg sandwich. I am trying to not do that lately.

I still don’t think 3 meals a day is an eating disorder. It’s simply what we know.

For 7 years until I was about 40 years old I had a job where I just had coffee for breakfast and occasionally I’d get a banana or pumpkin bread. The company paid for our lunch and I rarely ordered something healthy. I feel like I usually got a massaman curry with tofu and rice. I’d eat that then go home and often didn’t have dinner. I guess that’s it right there. Lunch was biggest meal and I didn’t eat much at all after that.
It is fine to eat 3 meals a day. I get migraines and fasting is absolutely not recommended for me. I do usually avoid eating between dinner and breakfast (typically 12 hours), but anything more than 14 hours and I get a raging headache. I do drink water/unsweetened herbal tea between dinner and breakfast, so I don’t think it is a matter of dehydration.

Studies are mixed on fasting. It works well for some and not for others. I know plenty of people who have done well with it. I had one friend who probably lost 100 pounds with IF about 10-11 years ago. He no longer does it now, but managed to keep most of the weight off. I have another friend who just did WW and exercised and has managed to lose weight twice (the second after pregnancy).

Old 12-30-2020, 07:50 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,808,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It is fine to eat 3 meals a day. I get migraines and fasting is absolutely not recommended for me. I do usually avoid eating between dinner and breakfast (typically 12 hours), but anything more than 14 hours and I get a raging headache. I do drink water/unsweetened herbal tea between dinner and breakfast, so I don’t think it is a matter of dehydration.

Studies are mixed on fasting. It works well for some and not for others. I know plenty of people who have done well with it. I had one friend who probably lost 100 pounds with IF about 10-11 years ago. He no longer does it now, but managed to keep most of the weight off. I have another friend who just did WW and exercised and has managed to lose weight twice (the second after pregnancy).
Fasting is absolutely important for anybody because the problems you encounter during long fasting is a sign of your underlying issues such as mineral deficiency and hormonal imbalances. So take note of all the issues and research what the causes and they can be remedied with the proper diet.

If you can't handle not being able to eat for a full day and struggling then you are not healthy.

Our ancestors passed down tools that allows us to go for days without eating we are not utilizing it because our modern diet have damaged our bodies.

If you get migraines that is a clear sign of mineral deficiency, as we get older our bodies ability to retain and extract minerals from food drops off. When you're young you have a great metabolism because your stomach's able to fully dissolve food. Which is why as you get older you have to include Apple Cider Vinegar or lemon juice to help extract minerals better.

When I started fasting I had such a bad outcome, it felt like I was having a flu. Body was weak, I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes as my muscles cramp and headache comes and goes.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,728,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Fasting is absolutely important for anybody because the problems you encounter during long fasting is a sign of your underlying issues such as mineral deficiency and hormonal imbalances. So take note of all the issues and research what the causes and they can be remedied with the proper diet.

If you can't handle not being able to eat for a full day and struggling then you are not healthy.

Our ancestors passed down tools that allows us to go for days without eating we are not utilizing it because our modern diet have damaged our bodies.

If you get migraines that is a clear sign of mineral deficiency, as we get older our bodies ability to retain and extract minerals from food drops off. When you're young you have a great metabolism because your stomach's able to fully dissolve food. Which is why as you get older you have to include Apple Cider Vinegar or lemon juice to help extract minerals better.

When I started fasting I had such a bad outcome, it felt like I was having a flu. Body was weak, I couldn't stand for more than a few minutes as my muscles cramp and headache comes and goes.
I think I’m going to go with my plan recommended by a neurologist at a specialized medical clinic for migraine as opposed to the CD doctors, but thanks for the opinion. I’ve gotten migraines since the ripe old age of 9.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
When the goal is weight loss, people almost never lose the weight and keep it off over the long run. It's really that simple.

Thats because people make it too complicated and difficult, like I said. Too many rules, too many dietary details to remember and adhere to, too many wild and crazy ideas to sort through. Don't eat. Eat this this this this this this and this, but don't eat that that that that that and that. Skip meals. Eat whole grain, whole plant, whole animal. Go vegan. Go keto. Go paleo. Go Med. Go crazy. Keep a log and count every calorie you eat and burn. Spend hours making special foods. Meditate. Exercise more. Quit dairy and gluten. Eat less meat. Eat more meat. Drink diet soda. Dont drink diet soda.

To lose weight you just have to eat fewer calories than you burn. Its really that simple. You don't need videos, diaries, calculators, scales, philosophies, gurus or complex rules and menus. You don't need "a diet". Just eat less, and to maximize the effect eat fewer carbs.

Simple doesn't mean easy, but simple is easier than complicated. Eat less to lose weight. Once you become accustomed to eating less, eat better. The Med diet is one way to eat better and live longer perhaps, but it also gets you back to thinking about food and planning menus and portions (or you'll gain weight) and counting calories and all the stuff that people often can't or won't maintain. They get away from: just eat less.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:27 AM

22,138 posts, read 13,173,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Thats because people make it too complicated and difficult, like I said. Too many rules, too many dietary details to remember and adhere to, too many wild and crazy ideas to sort through. Don't eat. Eat this this this this this this and this, but don't eat that that that that that and that. Skip meals. Eat whole grain, whole plant, whole animal. Go vegan. Go keto. Go paleo. Go Med. Go crazy. Keep a log and count every calorie you eat and burn. Spend hours making special foods. Meditate. Exercise more. Quit dairy and gluten. Eat less meat. Eat more meat. Drink diet soda. Dont drink diet soda.

To lose weight you just have to eat fewer calories than you burn. Its really that simple. You don't need videos, diaries, calculators, scales, philosophies, gurus or complex rules and menus. You don't need "a diet". Just eat less, and to maximize the effect eat fewer carbs.

Simple doesn't mean easy, but simple is easier than complicated. Eat less to lose weight. Once you become accustomed to eating less, eat better. The Med diet is one way to eat better and live longer perhaps, but it also gets you back to thinking about food and planning menus and portions (or you'll gain weight) and counting calories and all the stuff that people often can't or won't maintain. They get away from: just eat less.
Actually, I was thinking the other day (watching a Slimfast commercial), the the reason people lose weight on this plan - if indeed they do - is because it limits them to ONE MEAL A DAY. In other words, it's simply a form of fasting. The two "replacement" drinks have little or nothing to do with it.

Last edited by otterhere; 12-30-2020 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-30-2020, 11:02 AM

very few are going to eat one meal a day.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:08 PM

16,842 posts, read 8,532,803 times
Thanks all for the helpful advice!

I also dont think my husband would actually leave is i got to 150, but it was a crappy thing to ever say.

But seriously a lot of guys seem to have a thing for very thin women. Not all, but if fat were in then I think we'd see more fat models and actors.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:36 PM

22,138 posts, read 13,173,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Thanks all for the helpful advice!

I also dont think my husband would actually leave is i got to 150, but it was a crappy thing to ever say.

But seriously a lot of guys seem to have a thing for very thin women. Not all, but if fat were in then I think we'd see more fat models and actors.
It was probably said half in jest, but in jest is told many a truth. It reminds me of that old saying: women marry men expecting them to change; men marry women expecting them NOT to change.

Last edited by otterhere; 12-30-2020 at 12:49 PM..

Old 12-30-2020, 12:48 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I feel ya. All through my teens and 20s, I was underweight because I had no appetite and didn't care about eating. I used to say I wish people could just take a pill and get their nutrition for the day so I wouldn't have to bother. And if I was ever upset about a romance or whatever, I couldn't eat AT ALL. I felt self-conscious about being too skinny, even took WATE-ON and drank Nutriment, but struggled to keep my weight up near 100 (I'm also petite). When I joined the work force and observed the older ladies getting so excited about office potlucks, I SMH! How pathetic it seemed to me to have such an avid interest in food. They must not have a life. Of course I would never be like that. Well, guess what?

I, too, have gained the COVID-19 lbs.

Maybe it's just getting older, metabolism, hormones, or not having a life now, but I could happily eat all day long and rave about each dish, just like those potluck ladies I used to scorn!

I'm trying to do keto and have lost a few lbs., but what I wouldn't give to go back to not caring about food...
Ha, I was the same way, but also my mind would work against me and close up my throat. If I saw a dead animal in the road, I would think about it at dinner time and not be able to eat. Spaghetti made me think of worms. Shrimp made me think of embryos, and so forth. Sometimes I simply would forget to eat.

Sometimes I wish I could bring back that mindset. I've actually gone and willfully looked at a dead animal in the road, hoping it would curb my appetite the way it did then, but it doesn't work anymore. And I never ever forget to eat.

I did lose 27 pounds since COVID, because I saw my doc and my blood sugar was too high on March 7, coinciding with the news about the virus. I was home with lots of time to chop vegetables and take long walks. I bought good-quality fish and ate it three times a week, at least.

Have gained about five pounds back now that outdoor walks are not really possible most days where I am at the moment, but I'm trying to keep track of what I am eating because it would be SO easy to just sit inside and munch out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss