Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 03:11 PM

226 posts, read 158,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlgal View Post
Thank you for all the feedback. Hard exercise is out of the question for me. I'm too tired most of the time and lack energy to do it. I don't even have the motivation or energy to use the treadmill (speed 5.5) on a lot of the days.

I am using the fasting method though. For the past 7 days, I've been doing alternate day fasting with OMAD still being done on my eating day.
No matter how hard it is - you must exercise to grow muscle.
Whether outside(preferable - fresh air & sunshine) or threadmill - start at 1/4 mile. Then progress further distances.

Exercise is critical. Drink lots of water, Eat good foods (anything prepackaged = garbage).

I lost 45 lbs in 4 months by walking my behind off (avg 5 miles day) and eating better foods.

Good Luck to You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 03:20 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
I would think fasting would be worse for both the body and mind because it doesn't help with cravings and the body does better with receiving food/fuel throughout the day. I'd recommend healthy snacking between meals (berries, nuts, unsalted popcorn, etc) and sensible portions for the meals you do eat. The people I know who've had permanent weight loss did it by still eating regular meals but by cutting out the carbs, especially simple carbs, and sugars/salts.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Well...that's one way. Its not the only way. I've eliminated almost all food cravings by reducing carbs, and my appetite is also much, much less than it was just 5 weeks ago. I haven't fasted at all, I've eaten 3 meals a day but I'm a lot less hungry before meals and between meals. I agree too much exercise can be counterproductive to the goal of reducing appetite.
It's important to fast because you are actually in maintenance mode not weight loss. The OP is trying to lose weight. Fasting is critical for weight loss but after the goal is met eating normally is fine once your cravings and body metrics are normal. But it is absolutely essential to fast because the OP has excess body fat stores that cannot be reduced by eating a normal diet. It must be a deficit diet or fasting.

Too much exercise will make the body demand nutrients for rebuilding. And that process will cause increase food consumption detriment to weight loss and hunger control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I would think fasting would be worse for both the body and mind because it doesn't help with cravings and the body does better with receiving food/fuel throughout the day. I'd recommend healthy snacking between meals (berries, nuts, unsalted popcorn, etc) and sensible portions for the meals you do eat. The people I know who've had permanent weight loss did it by still eating regular meals but by cutting out the carbs, especially simple carbs, and sugars/salts.
Absolutely false. Your recommendation is why people end up on Nutrislim or Jenny Craig diet plans and they never work. You need to understand what fasting really does and what snack does. Fasting has been around longer than America and it's been used by various cultures to cleanse the body. Why is America one of the fattest country? Because this notion of frequent snacking and eating is an American marketing push to sell snacks. America has always been about profits over people's health.

Cutting carbs is essential but to lose weight means a deficit diet, you have to cut meals or caloric intake and the best way to stop the body's cravings is to go through a rigorous fasting process to detox and control insulin. Too much snacking especially frequent eating increases insulin production. So your information is out of date and not conducive to drastic weight loss. It may work for people who are not seriously overweight because they don't have a insulin problem but to people who are seriously overweight. It's a insulin problem that cannot be fixed by slow calorie reduction or exercise alone.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:48 AM

332 posts, read 219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Sometimes it is hard to fast. You get nasty sometimes when you are hungry and its not fair to others. If you had a job dealing with the public it would be tough. We are looking for something that will become an eating system and lifestyle while maintaining weight. I am retired but I can only fast when the wife is working. I could see how a food scarcity could cause violence to even further escalate.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:59 PM

56 posts, read 55,893 times
Kudos to your open, and incredibly honest story, OP. Not easy to post something so personal and private.

Not sure my advice will help but my wife and I control our weight through cardio exercise and diet. The thing is though, the exercise is only a small part of it. Being careful about what you eat and portion sizes is really the key. Technically you can not do any exercise at all and stay fairly slim, but you must watch those calories. So my advice is to get on a good meal plan and stick to it. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, there are many great calorie controlled meal plans online and elsewhere.

Lastly, remember that many body types will never be super slim. Simply put not everyone is built that way. Don't let carrying a little extra weight depress you and ruin your outlook in life. Look at what you've already accomplished in your life with your education! Keep a smile on your face, and work towards your goals, and don't beat yourself up if you take a step backward once in a while. Just keep moving forward.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-12-2021, 07:45 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's important to fast because you are actually in maintenance mode not weight loss. The OP is trying to lose weight. Fasting is critical for weight loss but after the goal is met eating normally is fine once your cravings and body metrics are normal. But it is absolutely essential to fast

No, it isn't. Period. Fasting is one way among others.

Quote:
Why is America one of the fattest country? Because this notion of frequent snacking and eating is an American marketing push to sell snacks.

Its not just because of what people snack on between meals. Therefore the solution is not just to go longer between eating. Thats simply one way that might help some people.

Quote:

America has always been about profits over people's health.

I won't argue with that, but your other conclusions don't follow from that onje.

Quote:

Cutting carbs is essential but to lose weight means a deficit diet, you have to cut meals or caloric intake and the best way to stop the body's cravings is to go through a rigorous fasting process to detox

Red alert! Red alert! Detox is a load of crap peddled by snake oil salesmen. There's no need for anyone to detox unless they are drug addicts or alcoholic and you don't do that by fasting you do it by stopping the intake of drugs and alcohol. If you stop eating crappy food, you've done all you need to do and all you can do to get the crappy food out of your system. Detox is 100% BS snake oil.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,688 times
Hello,

I measured my weight today after a little over a month. I now weigh 78 kg (was 90.3 on Jan 3) so a combination of fasting and low carb diet seems to be working to lose the regained weight. I also did no exercise except for the movements at work (teacher).

Old 02-09-2021, 02:16 PM

313 posts, read 255,603 times
There are a variety of ways to lose weight and no one-size-fits-all approach.

I LOVE to exercise it has been a huge benefit to my mental health especially during this pandemic. I get endorphins that make me feel so happy and accomplished after running a half marathon, completing an Orangetheory class, or even walking for a couple hours. After doing weight lifting consistently for about a year I have no more arm jiggle which is a huge accomplishment. (I'm a woman, btw, 42 years old)

I personally do Weight Watchers and love that plan. I especially love that it is a lifestyle, not a diet. Lifetime members that reach their goal weight and stay there can access the tools and program for free. I follow multiple people on Instagram that have lost weight and maintained it over a period of years. Most of them have 3 meals a day and snacks.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:38 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
There are a variety of ways to lose weight and no one-size-fits-all approach.

I LOVE to exercise it has been a huge benefit to my mental health especially during this pandemic. I get endorphins that make me feel so happy and accomplished after running a half marathon, completing an Orangetheory class, or even walking for a couple hours. After doing weight lifting consistently for about a year I have no more arm jiggle which is a huge accomplishment. (I'm a woman, btw, 42 years old)

I personally do Weight Watchers and love that plan. I especially love that it is a lifestyle, not a diet. Lifetime members that reach their goal weight and stay there can access the tools and program for free. I follow multiple people on Instagram that have lost weight and maintained it over a period of years. Most of them have 3 meals a day and snacks.
WW was what I did and still follow when I need to lose a few pounds. I have maintained my weight loss for a long time with a fluctuation of 5 to 7 pounds occasionally. I am also an exercise junky. I am 59 and as a woman its essential for me to maintain my weight, keep healthy, and keep me in a good mind space. I miss going to the gym since COVID so my weightlifting has suffered, but I did get a Peloton which is amazing.

I loved WW because I did not have to eliminate any food group, did not have to skip any meals, I went out to eat, and I could have my wine! (and sourdough bread).

Old 02-11-2021, 02:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,688 times
Your plan sounds great. I'm stuck in a vicious cycle now. I binge ate on 5/2 . Took laxatives. Water fasted (with probably too little water intake) for 109 hours. Binged again on 10/2. Took laxatives. Fasting now but consumed by thoughts of food. Feeling like crap physically and psychologically. Not exercising as stamina and fitness have gone down the drain. I've probably gained weight. Too scared to check. Clothes feel tighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss