Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 03:01 AM

6 posts, read 7,688 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been obese since I was a teenager due to a carbohydrates rich and fast food diet. From 13-17 years of age, my weight increased to 95kg. It never bothered me because I was pampered a lot by my parents, was popular, chosen for leadership roles and had tonnes of friends throughout my primary and secondary schooling years. My family was very academically focused so as long as I was excelling in that arena, I was considered to be doing great. I was diagnosed with a very underactive thyroid as well at 15 years of age. I eventually had to get the thyroid removed at 21 and am now on thyroid meds for life.

When I went abroad for tertiary education at 17, I was on my own for the first time. I missed home terribly. Appearance and body weight were very important for the new friends I made in university. Being obese, I began to feel ugly and inferior. That was the first time I started my weightloss journey. I lost 35 kilograms and went down to 60 kg in my first year of uni. Unfortunately, it was done with a starvation diet and laxative abuse. I continued to lose weight and developed bulemia anorexia nervosa. I suffered a lot of shame when I had to withdraw from uni and go back home because I was too sick to continue. Back home, there was a lack of knowledge about eating disorders so I was pressured to eat a lot, which I eventually did, putting the weight back on. I returned to uni and got stuck in a binging and purging cycle, where my weight fluctuated, bordering on underweight. I went through this cycle from 17 to my early to mid twenties. I graduated in the meantime.

I finally got some medical help as well after graduation but my weight increased to 120 kg, where it stayed for over two years because I was sick of starving myself, throwing up and pooping. I started doing my masters degree in the meantime. In my final year, I started trying to lose weight again. I lost 60 kg, going down to 60 kg, completed my masters and started a new permanent job. I only managed to stay in the healthy weight range for 1.5 years but my weight fluctuated during this time. I eventually put all the weight back on (due to binge eating) and 13 kg on top of it.

In September 2018, I was 34 years old (163-164 cm) and 130 kg. I started my weightloss journey once again. For the first 6 months, I ordered calorie controlled meals and lost a lot of weight afterwhich it plateaued. I then did shakes, restricting calories more, some extended fasts and various mono diet. I lost 80 kg in approximately an year. By the end of 2019, my weight had fallen to 46 kg (unhealthy and underweight). I went to Singapore and Malaysia on holiday and I couldn't control my very stringent diet plan. I came back from my 5 week holiday 17 kg heavier at 63 kg. I lost that weight pretty quickly within ten days by doing OMAD and treadmill since most of it was water weight. However, after that I went on disgusting binges and my weight yo-yoed till the end of May 2020, at which point I was 50 kg. By then, I was obsessed with food and used to wait longingly for my cheat days when I could binge.

Due to certain personal circumstances and tragedies in my family, I was extremely stressed out, got depressed and sick of my diet and started binging endlessly. Days turned to weeks then months. I sought medical help again and went on medication and did therapy. Unfortunately, my weight increased to 112.75 kg in 2020 due to my binge eating.

However, seeking medical support ensured that I now have a more positive mindset. At 36 years of age, I am now 90.3 kg with a height of 163-164cm.

I have been struggling with my weight since I was 17. I manage to lose it but have never been able to keep it off. I do not want to do weightloss surgery but I have been giving it serious thought. This time around it has been extremely difficult to shift the weight due to my thyroid and screwed up metabolism (the result of years of weight loss and regain). I've got a closet full of expensive clothes that no longer fit me. Superficial I know but very depressing.

I'm desperate to lose the weight but in a better way this time. More importantly, if I do manage to lose it, I want to keep it off. For the past two months, I've been doing OMAD (one meal a day - intermitten fasting).

In previous years, I used to weigh myself every single day and weigh, measure and log (My Fitness Pal) every food item I ate. I now weigh myself once a month only because I think everyday weigh ins were a trigger for me. I also do not measure, weigh and log my food at the moment but I'm thinking of starting again. Should I? Also, should I weight myself more frequently?

My apologies for the extremely long post. I've never joined a forum while losing weight. I'm hoping reading others' feedback and thoughts will keep me motivated, sensible about my goals and keep on the right track. I do not have anyone in my family or inner circle (or even my workplace) who is obese or overweight or struggles with weight related issues. It's difficult to talk about it when people haven't experienced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 04:33 AM

332 posts, read 219,988 times
I fought the battle of the bulge my whole life. last time I was in my early 50's and had a 48.5 in waist and 275lbs total weight.

This was after a back surgery and all those lousy pills. I was taking close to 20 prescription pills a day.
I am the original pillsbury dough boy.

Here is what I learned, mind you I have been in and out of this fat hole my whole life. Each time I always gained more than my previous weight.

Now I have a 32 inch waist and I weigh 195lbs with 12% body fat. I am 57 now.
First off , forget about exercise in the beginning. It's very inefficient for calorie burning. When you get lighter it will be easier to move and exercise will be way more fun. My wife only walks and she is fit and lean. She lost 45lbs too. She did no exercise in the beginning.

https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator go here and enter your info.

figure out your burn by your system for the day. Then eat less. We both gave up all sugar. Some folks might have to lower sugar intake over a period of time to limit withdrawls.

You can weigh yourself every day if you want too. Bottom line is you maintain food intake. yes you need to weigh and track, I still do it to this day.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:43 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlgal View Post
Hello,

I have been obese since I was a teenager. I was diagnosed with a very underactive thyroid as well at 15 years of age. I eventually had to get the thyroid removed at 21.

When I went abroad for tertiary education at 17, I was on my own for the first time. I returned to uni and got stuck in a binging and purging cycle, where my weight fluctuated, bordering on underweight.

I finally got some medical help as well after graduation but my weight increased to 120 kg, where it stayed for over two years. I eventually put all the weight back on (due to binge eating) and 13 kg on top of it.

In September 2018, I was 34 years old (163-164 cm) and 130 kg. I was obsessed with food and used to wait longingly for my cheat days when I could binge.

Due to certain personal circumstances and tragedies in my family, my weight increased to 112.75 kg in 2020.

However, seeking medical support ensured that I now have a more positive mindset. At 36 years of age, I am now 90.3 kg with a height of 163-164cm.

I'm desperate to lose the weight but in a better way this time. I do not have anyone in my family or inner circle (or even my workplace) who is obese or overweight or struggles with weight related issues. It's difficult to talk about it when people haven't experienced it.
Fixed it for you, via snipping (only). Bolded only one key sentence. Much more readable, and can be responded to with equal clarity.

Suffice to say: I'm 53 with weight problems from a similar age. Similar stressors, uni, etc. and fluctuations in my 20s-30s due to athleticism, stress, etc. both pro and con. White-knuckle, extreme diets are not sustainable. Constant hard-core exercise is (for me) not sustainable. I have a career and full life, and beaucoup responsibilities/demands on my time, and at 53 and male possibly less testosterone and "drive" to solve it.

You're younger, at least.

Consider weight loss surgery, specifically VSG. Worked great for me, though I'm only 5 months post-op. It's a huge step and a huge story to research. I'll leave those inquiries for you to tackle in the New Year.

"It appears" to work for me, though the key is 5 year sustainability, eh? I'm working through my issues to ensure in 5 years I'm still in a good place. 45kg down, maybe 23kg to go in conjunction with my nutritional doctor (ND)'s counsel.

Best of luck, one man's opinion.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:27 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
I fought the battle of the bulge my whole life. last time I was in my early 50's and had a 48.5 in waist and 275lbs total weight.

This was after a back surgery and all those lousy pills. I was taking close to 20 prescription pills a day.
I am the original pillsbury dough boy.

Here is what I learned, mind you I have been in and out of this fat hole my whole life. Each time I always gained more than my previous weight.

Now I have a 32 inch waist and I weigh 195lbs with 12% body fat. I am 57 now.
First off , forget about exercise in the beginning. It's very inefficient for calorie burning. When you get lighter it will be easier to move and exercise will be way more fun. My wife only walks and she is fit and lean. She lost 45lbs too. She did no exercise in the beginning.

https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator go here and enter your info.

figure out your burn by your system for the day. Then eat less. We both gave up all sugar. Some folks might have to lower sugar intake over a period of time to limit withdrawls.

You can weigh yourself every day if you want too. Bottom line is you maintain food intake. yes you need to weigh and track, I still do it to this day.
We're kindred spirits. At the age of 52 I finally figured out what I needed to leave habitual obesity behind, and four years later continue to do so successfully.

To the OP, those who struggle with obesity fail to accept the most simple concept, and the only one that truly matters; if you consistently consume less energy than the body needs to run itself, a person loses weight. If you consistently consume more energy than the body needs to run itself, a person gains weight.

It's really just that simple.

Learn your numbers in terms of how much energy your body burns per day and consume accordingly to affect the desired outcome.

You don't need complicated eating plans, you don't need medical intervention, you simply need to use basic math to achieve your results.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
We're kindred spirits. At the age of 52 I finally figured out what I needed to leave habitual obesity behind, and four years later continue to do so successfully.

To the OP, those who struggle with obesity fail to accept the most simple concept, and the only one that truly matters; if you consistently consume less energy than the body needs to run itself, a person loses weight. If you consistently consume more energy than the body needs to run itself, a person gains weight.

It's really just that simple.

Learn your numbers in terms of how much energy your body burns per day and consume accordingly to affect the desired outcome.

You don't need complicated eating plans, you don't need medical intervention, you simply need to use basic math to achieve your results.
It's amazing isn't it? It really is just a number. What I really learned was how inefficient exercise really is at burning calories. We really do not need much food to maintain weight. Better late than never , huh..

Old 01-05-2021, 01:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Understand that weight loss is not a good thing for the body, it wants to keep the weight. So the best way to lose weight and maintain health is to change the metabolic syndrome. People stay obese because of it.

If you have a certain diet, physical condition, underlying problems, these compound each other and confuses your body which makes it difficult to lose weight.

The best way to start a weight loss program is to stop exercising, do not go running or put stress on your body. This is the #1 biggest mistake people do and become like the Biggest Loser contestants. Those folks are put to stress and lose weight but they eventually gain all the weight back.

Fixing the diet, hormonal imbalances, and correcting blood sugar and suppression of insulin is the key to changing how your body processes food.

Start fasting slowly and try to fast as long as you can to determine what works and slowly control your sugar and carb intake. That is the #1 area.

After you can do a 16/8 fast like I can, you have controlled your hunger and suppressed insulin. This can take anywhere from 2-6 months to achieve depending on how severe your insulin resistance.

Intermittent Fasting is the best way to diet successfully without any exercise. It is a very realistic way to lose measurable weight without any exercise, in fact I discourage exercise since it leads to hunger. Once you hit the goals, exercise is great.

My achievement: 40 lbs in 18 months, 30% body weight, without exercise or depriving myself. I casually indulge but have no cravings.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Understand that weight loss is not a good thing for the body, it wants to keep the weight. So the best way to lose weight and maintain health is to change the metabolic syndrome. People stay obese because of it.

If you have a certain diet, physical condition, underlying problems, these compound each other and confuses your body which makes it difficult to lose weight.

The best way to start a weight loss program is to stop exercising, do not go running or put stress on your body. This is the #1 biggest mistake people do and become like the Biggest Loser contestants. Those folks are put to stress and lose weight but they eventually gain all the weight back.

Fixing the diet, hormonal imbalances, and correcting blood sugar and suppression of insulin is the key to changing how your body processes food.

Start fasting slowly and try to fast as long as you can to determine what works and slowly control your sugar and carb intake. That is the #1 area.

After you can do a 16/8 fast like I can, you have controlled your hunger and suppressed insulin. This can take anywhere from 2-6 months to achieve depending on how severe your insulin resistance.

Intermittent Fasting is the best way to diet successfully without any exercise. It is a very realistic way to lose measurable weight without any exercise, in fact I discourage exercise since it leads to hunger. Once you hit the goals, exercise is great.

My achievement: 40 lbs in 18 months, 30% body weight, without exercise or depriving myself. I casually indulge but have no cravings.
wow you are spot on. I found the same thing to be true. The metabolic syndrome is what causes the inflammation. Once this sets in big trouble is at hand. The person is literally choking his system out. I feel also that as you are older it's to stressful on the nervous system to exercise and diet. Just diet and thats it. I do the Im too with great success. I did this in my 50's too as you. So it can be done.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
wow you are spot on. I found the same thing to be true. The metabolic syndrome is what causes the inflammation. Once this sets in big trouble is at hand. The person is literally choking his system out. I feel also that as you are older it's to stressful on the nervous system to exercise and diet. Just diet and thats it. I do the Im too with great success. I did this in my 50's too as you. So it can be done.
I just found all of the mainstream diets out there are all full of crap because it makes you lose weight by punishing the body through hard exercise then eating a low caloric diet which cause the body to become even hungrier.

Excess exercise makes people hungry. So the best way to naturally lose weight is by slowly controlling hunger. Don't exercise too much, walking is the best. Then through a slow fasting program you control hunger and the body adjusts metabolism.

High metabolism caused by exercise is bad for weight loss. You want a low metabolism through slow exercises so your body won't desire food and you can fast longer. It is through a daily regime of intermittent fasting a person can correct insulin dysfunction then food cravings all go away.

I've lost more weight without exercise than hitting the gym 3x a week.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:54 PM

6 posts, read 7,688 times
Thank you for all the feedback. Hard exercise is out of the question for me. I'm too tired most of the time and lack energy to do it. I don't even have the motivation or energy to use the treadmill (speed 5.5) on a lot of the days.

I am using the fasting method though. For the past 7 days, I've been doing alternate day fasting with OMAD still being done on my eating day.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:22 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It is through a daily regime of intermittent fasting a person can correct insulin dysfunction then food cravings all go away.

Well...that's one way. Its not the only way. I've eliminated almost all food cravings by reducing carbs, and my appetite is also much, much less than it was just 5 weeks ago. I haven't fasted at all, I've eaten 3 meals a day but I'm a lot less hungry before meals and between meals. I agree too much exercise can be counterproductive to the goal of reducing appetite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss