Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:35 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times

Advertisements

I have always suspected this but now I see it is true. So killing yourself at the gym only steals energy away from other critical functions. Gyms are going to see quite a drop in business.

Quote:
Ten years of research on a hunter-gatherer tribe in Tanzania found they exert the same energy each day as their less active counterparts in Western countries. Prof Pontzer, professor of Evolutionary Anthropology at Duke University, North Carolina, set out to compare how the historical shift to a more sedentary lifestyle has changed the amount of calories we burn. The big surprise is it hasn't,' he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme. 'What we've learnt is that we burn the same number of calories every day regardless of lifestyle. Our lifestyle determines how we burn them. The scientist explained that people who are more active do burn more calories on exercise, but are spending less energy on 'other stuff' such as immune functioning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...scientist.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 04:43 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
They consume a lot more calories than the Westerners since they're not assured of the steady source of food.

The study is irrelevant since these people aren't trying to control their weight, quite the opposite.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They consume a lot more calories than the Westerners since they're not assured of the steady source of food.
The study is irrelevant since these people aren't trying to control their weight, quite the opposite.
Um no.. this guy spent 10 years studying them to see if they actually DID consume more calories that modern city dwellers and the "scientific" conclusion was.. NO, No they don't.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:55 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
But it sure puts that weight in more attractive spots.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-24-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But it sure puts that weight in more attractive spots.
Do we even know that? Starting to wonder about all those myths about exercise now.

The study did say there were benefits to exercise but you cannot think that exercise directly relates to what you burn in a day. Now I know why so many times when I was stuck at a plateau and did exercise it did absolutely nothing for my weight loss.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:58 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Do we even know that? Starting to wonder about all those myths about exercise now.

The study did say there were benefits to exercise but you cannot think that exercise directly relates to what you burn in a day. Now I know why so many times when I was stuck at a plateau and did exercise it did absolutely nothing for my weight loss.

Yes, I KNOW that. Out of shape, got older, worked out 20 hours a week, looked great! Moved 2500, first winter, didn't have a workout routine, Covid, my body melted towards the floor.

Back on workout routine, and I would say 50% improvement. Should be in bikini shape by summer.

Losing weight is like 99% diet, I don't think everyone has ever said different.

Problem when you exercise, you get hungrier (at least I do), so I have to watch what I shovel in my face.

While I weigh 130, which is okay for 5'5, I am more comfortable at 120ish. When I DON'T exercise my blood sugar makes problems and my blood pressure goes through the roof.

Before I moved, after a steady stream of exercise, I was completely off blood pressure meds. This last year? Sky rocketed again. Had to go back on meds, and then double it.

After only a month of about 2 hours a day exercise, my blood pressure is lowering, in a few months I'll reduce my meds.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-24-2021, 06:51 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Exercise has always enhanced my weight loss. But I make sure I do not eat the calories I just burned. Also, exercise has gotten me out of plateaus by upping my routine. Tabata and HIIT workouts torch calories. Lifting weights is also a way to burn more calories.
Regardless exercise should ALWAYS be a part of a healthy approach to weight loss. The health benefits both physical and mental cannot be measured. Plus it enhances one's self esteem.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:19 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times
I saw that yesterday and me and husband discussed. We have entirely too much evidence to the contrary for this to be true.

For example, the climbers on Everest are eating 5k calories a day just to keep up with the massive demands on their bodies.

The "Rock", wrestler, is Samoan and works out every day and eats 5k calories every single day just to maintain his metabolic functions.

Athletes in general eat significantly more than the average person to maintain their weight because of how active they are.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:27 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Weight gain is the result foods that the body stores for future use. In order to tap that food storage you have to eat a lot less than the normal meal plan. Anyone that eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner is maintaining and padding to the food stores in the body so no weight loss until you burn more than what you've eaten. The problem is the amounts of exercise that most people do just don't burn enough. Your can run for hours just to work off that breakfast. Since so many people eat around 800 calories for lunch, that can take a full 4+ hours of running. There's no way anyone can be running for 4 hours straight.

Old 02-25-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
The "Rock", wrestler, is Samoan and works out every day and eats 5k calories every single day just to maintain his metabolic functions.
The more you eat, the higher your metabolism goes to try to maintain homeostasis. It is entirely possible that the exercise does nothing, it is the fact that he has increased his calories so greatly that his body is doing adaptive thermogenesis.

In addition... eating certain foods can increase your metabolism. Lack of insulin increases the TDEE, the rock has been open about doing intermittent fasting.

So there are clearly other reasons -- other than exercise -- that the TDEE can increase.

Also, what is the rock's basic TDEE... he is a big man. Also muscle mass increases the TDEE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss