Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 06:43 PM

596 posts, read 302,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I exercise to be healthy. I try to eat healthy but I'm not very good at it. As a result I'm overweight. But I don't fool myself into thinking that dieting is the end-all be-all to being svelte, nor do I equate being thin with being healthy. I need to eat less junk, more good food, and continue making sure I stay mobile, by exercising regularly.

It's not a diet. It's just being aware of, appreciating, and striving for good health.
Of course. And having lean body mass, good bone density (both part of body composition), mobility, and good cardiovascular fitness are all part of the equation. Depending on one's definition of "svelte", that might not be completely healthy. Intake will be the biggest factor in maintaining a healthy weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 07:54 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
Of course. And having lean body mass, good bone density (both part of body composition), mobility, and good cardiovascular fitness are all part of the equation. Depending on one's definition of "svelte", that might not be completely healthy. Intake will be the biggest factor in maintaining a healthy weight.
Once, around 20 years ago, I weighed 120 pounds. I didn't feel healthy at all. I lost around 40 pounds in a 6-month period but I wasn't changing my diet. I think it was probably hormonal. According to "the charts," 120 pounds is a good weight for someone who's 5'3". 160 is definitely overweight.

I gained most of the weight back, and started working out, some of the fat came off and I built back some muscle that I used to have 10 years before even then. In the end, I hovered between 140 and 155 for the next 20 years, and it felt mostly healthy, most of the time.

Unfortunately I have muscular-skeletal problems relating to a previous catastrophic injury, and I started developing arthritis in my knees, hips, and spine. I have -never- had lean body mass. I've always been curvy. Except that one time when I weighed 120 and felt unhealthy.

So I exercise more, joined a gym, stopped going when the pain got too bad. I've had to quit my job because of bursitis. Standing still for a living + bursitis = really really painful. I walk more and ride my bicycle when the weather's decent. I also have a small garden that I tend to, and I shoot at the archery range a couple times a week.

I lost 12 pounds before the pandemic, and I'm back up to 160 again. The weather's supposed to change back again next week for the season so I'll take that opportunity to get more serious with exercise, maybe set a goal for riding my bicycle 10 miles in a day, at least once a week.

I need to eat better too, for sure. Less bread, less cheese, fewer snacks, more raw fruits and vegetables and nuts and fish. I used to thrive when I ate more Middle-eastern and Indian food, but there isn't a single restaurant within 40 minutes of home that serves either and my spouse refuses to eat it so there's no point in cooking it for myself.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:09 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Yep, and the whole premise of this thread was started with a misnomer (that exercise plays a significant role in weight loss). People tend to look for confirmation bias to anything that pacifies their mind as to why they can't achieve results in losing weight. Often tmes it's nothing that a piece of duct tape over the mouth won't solve. For the vast majority of people, it will always be calories in versus calories out.
I disagree completely.

If it truly were "calories in vrs calories out" we would not have an obesity problem. It is stunning to me that people delude themselves into that thinking. Why would anyone want to be fat or obese? They wouldn't. Being fat subjects you to so many negative things.. socially and health wise. Nor can you say that suddenly we all have a will-power problem. A very good example is Oprah Winfrey... who is amazingly successful in her life in all areas but not this one thing. Not to mention that she has tried everything and they all failed... to assume it is because she is a glutton makes zero sense. She doesn't accept that kind of behavior in any other area of her life, why would she in this?

Talk about a confirmation bias, if you don't have a weight problem you have to assume that everyone else is just lazy or a glutton. But objectively if you really thought about it you would realize that most people are not and it defies reality to say that 50+ percent of the population just got that much lazier since the 1970s.

And now, we are finding out more and more that the advice that was sold to us was completely wrong. Chances are if you are overweight you have been reading the studies and trying to solve the problem for years... and all that advice was 100% the opposite of what you should be doing. No wonder we have an obesity problem.

Now we have large portions of the world that are not only fat but have vastly wrong ideas that they will defend to the death.

I will also say that people who don't have an argument always change the argument but this thread was not about exercise being good or bad for you. It simply isn't something that should be in your losing weight tool box.

Part of Ponzer's book on the subject does have an amazing theory about how exercise keeps us healthy but it goes hand in hand with the information on how our TDEES do not go up with exercise. So in our arrogance and prejudice I am sure you won't read it.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:39 AM

This is the thread title..."Why Exercise will not do anything to help you lose weight"

So no, I didn't misquote it and I focused on your claim which is a terrible premise from the start (you've essentially created a Strawman and then went on to defend your point). As pointed out in my post, intake plays a much more significant role in weight loss and that part of the equation hasn't changed, despite whatever book you want to quote.

And of course, the 20-25% of the equation that exercise does account for has changed over the last few decades (but that's an aside). Intake has always been significantly more important and always will be in that equation.

If you aced 20-25% of a test but failed on the remainder, you are indeed going to get a "F". Your premise was flawed from the start by emphasizing exercise.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I disagree completely.

If it truly were "calories in vrs calories out" we would not have an obesity problem.
Flawed thinking at its best. Of course its calories in vs calories out. We have a huge problem with obesity in this country because people eat vast quantities of terrible food. Pay attention to any fast food commercial and you will see some sort of meal that is 600 calories and up and then they give it some low price. People drink soda by the gallons. Sugary foods, lack of healthy foods, and being sedentary are the NUMBER ONE REASONS why we are a nation that is almost 40% obese.

Show me a person who eats a healthy diet with foods from ALL the food groups, no fast food, stays within a calorie limit (not a lose-weight - diet limit), and exercises and I am willing to bet you a million dollars they are not obese.
People need to be accountable for what they eat.

And I am sorry but this whole idea of making a post of not needing exercise is just reckless. No one is forcing you to exercise but please stop making it a campaign.

Last edited by Luckyd609; 03-22-2021 at 09:28 AM..

Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Flawed thinking at its best. Of course its calories in vs calories out. We have a huge problem with obesity in this country because people eat vast quantities of terrible food. Pay attention to any fast food commercial and you will see some sort of meal that is 600 calories and up and then they give it some low price. People drink soda by the gallons. Sugary foods, lack of healthy foods, and being sedentary are the NUMBER ONE REASONS why we are a nation that is almost 40% obese.

Show me a person who eats a healthy diet with foods from ALL the food groups, no fast food, stays within a calorie limit, and exercises and I am willing to bet you a million dollars they are not obese.
People need to be accountable for what they eat.

And I am sorry but this whole idea of making a post of not needing exercise is just reckless. No one is forcing you to exercise but please stop making it a campaign.
Yep. I hardly think the U.S. would make any list for healthy eating when the top 10 items on the list is comprised of....

1. Soda
2. Milk
3. Bread
4. Beer
5. Salty Snacks
6. Cheese
7. Frozen Dinners
8. Cereal
9. Wine
10. Cigarettes

Add to that, all the computer related jobs with people sitting all day long, modern technology that has reduced physical activity, and a global $115 billion dollar a year video game market, and that 25% of the equation doesn't look very good either.

How in the world could we have an obesity problem?

Old 03-22-2021, 06:56 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Yep. I hardly think the U.S. would make any list for healthy eating when the top 10 items on the list is comprised of....

1. Soda
2. Milk
3. Bread
4. Beer
5. Salty Snacks
6. Cheese
7. Frozen Dinners
8. Cereal
9. Wine
10. Cigarettes

Add to that, all the computer related jobs with people sitting all day long, modern technology that has reduced physical activity, and a global $115 billion dollar a year video game market, and that 25% of the equation doesn't look very good either.

How in the world could we have an obesity problem?
Not all of those things listed are bad if consumed in moderation. Bread if it is made with actual whole grains, is fine. Milk? Dairy itself is not bad either. Cheese, wine, and an occasional beer is okay too.

Fast food - simple carbs, sugary foods, trans fats foods, soda, chips, confections, - those are the real culprits. And overeating! People do not want to pay attention to the calorie counts in foods. Starbucks mochacino? 600 - 1000 calories in one drink! A fast food meal of burgers or chicken sandwiches with a side of fries and a soda - 2000 calories! At least.
People think they are eating healthy at Chipotle, and even though the food is decent the calorie counts are through the roof.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:18 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,646 times
Quote:
I have always suspected this but now I see it is true. So killing yourself at the gym only steals energy away from other critical functions. Gyms are going to see quite a drop in business.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...scientist.html

This premise is as false as saying idling your car burns the same amount of fuel as driving it at 100mph.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not all of those things listed are bad if consumed in moderation. Bread if it is made with actual whole grains, is fine. Milk? Dairy itself is not bad either. Cheese, wine, and an occasional beer is okay too.

Fast food - simple carbs, sugary foods, trans fats foods, soda, chips, confections, - those are the real culprits. And overeating! People do not want to pay attention to the calorie counts in foods. Starbucks mochacino? 600 - 1000 calories in one drink! A fast food meal of burgers or chicken sandwiches with a side of fries and a soda - 2000 calories! At least.
People think they are eating healthy at Chipotle, and even though the food is decent the calorie counts are through the roof.
No, but at least 50% of that list are items I wouldn't be recommending.

Admittedly, I would be the last one to tell someone not to have an occasional indulgence, but honestly I can't think of anyone that uses beer to meet their daily nutritional needs.

Salty Snacks, Soda, and cigarettes are clearly unhealthy. And processed frozen foods are usually filled with sodium. Yes, cheese if done in moderation (but those are fairly small quantities so I'm questioning how many truly only eat those small quantities). I would say most people would be challenged with that top 10 list of the most commonly purchased grocery store items to hit their goals.

And of course, most fast foods (not all) should be included on the non-recommended list.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:57 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,643 times
Quote:
I disagree completely.

If it truly were "calories in vrs calories out" we would not have an obesity problem. It is stunning to me that people delude themselves into that thinking. Why would anyone want to be fat or obese? They wouldn't. Being fat subjects you to so many negative things.. socially and health wise. Nor can you say that suddenly we all have a will-power problem. A very good example is Oprah Winfrey... who is amazingly successful in her life in all areas but not this one thing. Not to mention that she has tried everything and they all failed... to assume it is because she is a glutton makes zero sense. She doesn't accept that kind of behavior in any other area of her life, why would she in this?

Talk about a confirmation bias, if you don't have a weight problem you have to assume that everyone else is just lazy or a glutton. But objectively if you really thought about it you would realize that most people are not and it defies reality to say that 50+ percent of the population just got that much lazier since the 1970s.

And now, we are finding out more and more that the advice that was sold to us was completely wrong. Chances are if you are overweight you have been reading the studies and trying to solve the problem for years... and all that advice was 100% the opposite of what you should be doing. No wonder we have an obesity problem.

Now we have large portions of the world that are not only fat but have vastly wrong ideas that they will defend to the death.

I will also say that people who don't have an argument always change the argument but this thread was not about exercise being good or bad for you. It simply isn't something that should be in your losing weight tool box.

Part of Ponzer's book on the subject does have an amazing theory about how exercise keeps us healthy but it goes hand in hand with the information on how our TDEES do not go up with exercise. So in our arrogance and prejudice I am sure you won't read it.
As someone who has been obese (and very much so) since I was about 12 years old, going on 20 years now and in the middle of a weight loss journey of which I have lost 38 lbs and counting I feel like I can certainly speak on this.

CICO is working wonders for me. And exercise is helping me feel better. But what Im eating is and always will be the deciding factor. I didnt consider myself overly lazy or that my obesity was because I wanted to be fat or because I didnt feel like exercising.

I was obese because I was always obese, noone taught me about food. I had no idea how much food I was eating until I starting tracking it. I eat 1300 calories a day right now. Before? Probably 3k. But I wasnt eating fast food everyday. Some days yes but not everyday. What I was doing was thinking I was making good food choices and overeating. Even good things make you fat if you eat a lot.

For example taco night. I used turkey instead of beef. I used low carb tortillas. Veggies and cheese. 1 low carb tortilla 60 calories. x3 tacos 180 calories. 1/4 cup of shredded cheese is 110 calories, I was probably putting that much on each taco, or at least close to it. Add sour cream and a little quac and my 3 small tacos are now a meal 700-800 calories then add a handful of chips (which is 2 servings!) and its almost 1000 for 1 meal that I thought I was making smart choices on.

We arent taught what it means to eat healthy. Healthy marketed foods add up fast. Whole food dont. That same "taco" in a half a green pepper with only a sprinkle of cheese and no sour cream is only about 75 calories. CICO is how you lose weight but you have to really pay attention to the calories in. You cant exercise your way skinny but you can eat yourself thin eating 4 meals a day as long as you actually pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss